Booting 20.04 hangs at "Loading inital ram disk..."

Booting 20.04 hangs at "Loading inital ram disk..."

Ken Bloom
I tried upgrading my Dell Inspiron 13-5378 from 19.10 to 20.04 on Thursday using `do-release-upgrade -d`. The result was a boot process that would hang with a blank screen. If I went and selected any of the non-default options from the bootloader, the boot would hang at "Loading inital ram disk...".

I decided to do a fresh install of 20.04 from the the default install media. The install media booted fine, but when I tried to boot the installed system, I had a similar result.

Any idea what's going on here? Any idea where to direct this bug? I see that at least one other user had this problem.