Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

Re: Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

Tom H-4
On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 4:51 AM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 20/02/2018, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 10:26 AM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> I can't acccess that URL.
>>
>> Strange. Can you go to
>>
>> https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
>>
>> and then use the installation link at the bottom left of the page?
>
> In assuming that, by "the installation link", you mean the link with
> the label "Read the installation instructions",

Yes.

> I can go to the URL that you have given, but, clicking on the link
> with the label "Read the installation instructions", results, in both
> Konqueror and Firefox, in a blank screen, but, with a strange thing
> (only) in Firefox; on the right hand side of the screen, a mark
> appears, like a crease in the screen surface, going from the upper
> left part, to the lower right part, but, it is not otherwise apparent
> - it appears only with that web page, and, of the two web browsers
> Konqueror and Firefox, only with Firefox (v58.0.2 (64-bit) ).

I've yet to work with a web designer who doesn't test the pages that
he/she creates - and doesn't do so with multiple browsers on multiple
OSes. Do you have extensions that block scripts / pictures / etc...?

Re: Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

Rashkae-2
On 2018-02-20 06:09 AM, Tom H wrote:

> I've never enabled CSM. However, I'd expect to have to boot a CD/DVD
> in legacy mode with it enabled. If the Ubuntu installer is behaving
> differently, it'd be good to file a bug report.

This is not a bug.. this is exactly the way Linux/Grub and EFI are
designed to work, and have been since the dawn of EFI.

Personally, I think it would be *great* if Linux did the same as
Windows, and at least had an easy to check on option to save the EFI
boot file in the default file that all systems can boot from by default.
 (ie,: EFI/boot/bootx64.efi)  However, Grub simply does not do this on
it's own.  Without very technical manual intervention, it will only
install if it's able to access the EFI interface and add the boot
entries into the motherboard BIOS.. (It's not really BIOS anymore, but I
forget the proper term.)

So to make a very very long and meandering thread simple, and cut my
babbling explanations short, the answer is simple.  If you are
installing Ubuntu on an EFI system, verify that you are booting your
install media in EFI.

Maybe complain to Motherboard manufacturers if that's not the default.

Re: Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

Bret Busby-2
On 20/02/2018, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi,
> Am Dienstag, den 20.02.2018, 17:51 +0800 schrieb Bret Busby:
>>

>> > https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
>> >
>> > and then use the installation link at the bottom left of the page?
>> >
>> In assuming that, by "the installation link", you mean the link with
>> the label "Read the installation instructions", I can go to the URL
>> that you have given, but, clicking on the link with the label "Read
>> the installation instructions", results, in both Konqueror and
>> Firefox, in a blank screen, but, with a strange thing (only) in
>> Firefox;
>
> do you use any browser addons that could block things like javascript
> execution or other web bits that are rather standard nowadays ?

javascript is disabled.

Apart from all of the other problems (including progressively
consuming all available RAM), javascript is apparently the medium used
by Meltdown and/or Spectre.

So, for safety and stability, javascript is disabled.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

On 2018-02-20 10:33 AM, Bret Busby wrote:

> javascript is disabled.

Humble suggestion.

Maybe in the future, when reporting a problem with a site/link, you
should lead with that.

Re: Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Dienstag, den 20.02.2018, 23:33 +0800 schrieb Bret Busby:

> So, for safety and stability, javascript is disabled.

well, then you shouldnt be surprised if half of the internet doesnt
work for you anymore :)

firefox has some protection against this since version 57 (and the
archive has advanced to 58 for all releases already) ... see:

https://usn.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-3516-1/

there is no need to disable javascript with these versions ...

ciao
        oli

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 10:33 AM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20/02/2018, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> do you use any browser addons that could block things like javascript
>> execution or other web bits that are rather standard nowadays?
>
> javascript is disabled.
>
> Apart from all of the other problems (including progressively
> consuming all available RAM), javascript is apparently the medium used
> by Meltdown and/or Spectre.
>
> So, for safety and stability, javascript is disabled.

Can't you enable javascript on a site-by-site basis?

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 8:24 AM, Rashkae <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2018-02-20 06:09 AM, Tom H wrote:
>>
>> I've never enabled CSM. However, I'd expect to have to boot a CD/DVD
>> in legacy mode with it enabled. If the Ubuntu installer is behaving
>> differently, it'd be good to file a bug report.
>
> This is not a bug.. this is exactly the way Linux/Grub and EFI are
> designed to work, and have been since the dawn of EFI.

Of course it is. If the first, default entry when you enable CSM
doesn't boot and you have to choose a different menu entry (an EFI
one), then there's a bug.

On 21/02/2018, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 10:33 AM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 20/02/2018, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> do you use any browser addons that could block things like javascript
>>> execution or other web bits that are rather standard nowadays?
>>
>> javascript is disabled.
>>
>> Apart from all of the other problems (including progressively
>> consuming all available RAM), javascript is apparently the medium used
>> by Meltdown and/or Spectre.
>>
>> So, for safety and stability, javascript is disabled.
>
> Can't you enable javascript on a site-by-site basis?

I use toggling the value in about.config to enable javascript for only
two web sites.

Javascript is simply too problematic and too harmful, and I get fed up
with the system crashes that it causes, due toi people incapable of
proper web site development.

As my wife, who uses the horrible tool in her work, has told me, a web
site that uses javascript and that is prpoerly developed, shoulds not
endlessly consume RAM and cause system crashes due to running out of
resources, and, properly developed web sites should release the RAM
tghat they hijack, when the applicable browser tabs/windows accessing
the web sites, are closed. That generally does not occur, so
javascript causes system crashes.

Unfortunately, the advent of such fourth generation development tools,
resulted in decreasing competency in web developers, so that properly
developed web sites that use javacript, are few and far between.

javascript is simply, due to the nature of the majority of web sites
that use it, the same in nature, as Meltdown and Spectre - one of the
greatest threats to ICT, at present.

On 21/02/2018, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21/02/2018, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 10:33 AM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> javascript is disabled.
>>>
>>> Apart from all of the other problems (including progressively
>>> consuming all available RAM), javascript is apparently the medium used
>>> by Meltdown and/or Spectre.
>>>
>>> So, for safety and stability, javascript is disabled.
>>
>> Can't you enable javascript on a site-by-site basis?
>>

> I use toggling the value in about.config to enable javascript for only
> two web sites.
>
> Javascript is simply too problematic and too harmful, and I get fed up
> with the system crashes that it causes, due toi people incapable of
> proper web site development.
>
> As my wife, who uses the horrible tool in her work, has told me, a web
> site that uses javascript and that is prpoerly developed, shoulds not
> endlessly consume RAM and cause system crashes due to running out of
> resources, and, properly developed web sites should release the RAM
> tghat they hijack, when the applicable browser tabs/windows accessing
> the web sites, are closed. That generally does not occur, so
> javascript causes system crashes.
>
> Unfortunately, the advent of such fourth generation development tools,
> resulted in decreasing competency in web developers, so that properly
> developed web sites that use javacript, are few and far between.
>
> javascript is simply, due to the nature of the majority of web sites
> that use it, the same in nature, as Meltdown and Spectre - one of the
> greatest threats to ICT, at present.

And, getting back to the point, which people went to such effort to
get away from, once upon a time, for Linux, wonderful things named
"HOWTO's" were available, and were universally accessible (not written
by script kiddies, to require all kinds of trickery, to access them).

A universally accessible HOWTO, that leads stepwise through the
installation procedure, for installing Ubuntu Linux on a UEFI/GPT
system, would be helpful, rather than trying to limit the use of
Linux.

And, if it could be provided by, and for, the different interfaces
(MATE, KDE, fvwm (does that still exist?), xfce, etc, that would be
even better.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

Liam Proven
On 20 February 2018 at 20:39, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A universally accessible HOWTO, that leads stepwise through the
> installation procedure, for installing Ubuntu Linux on a UEFI/GPT
> system, would be helpful, rather than trying to limit the use of
> Linux.

There is one.

You were given a link to it.

But you have crippled your browser so you can't see it, and you did
not tell us that, you just complained that the site was broken, which
it is not -- it works fine.

Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

On 21/02/2018, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20 February 2018 at 20:39, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> A universally accessible HOWTO, that leads stepwise through the
>> installation procedure, for installing Ubuntu Linux on a UEFI/GPT
>> system, would be helpful, rather than trying to limit the use of
>> Linux.
>
> There is one.
>
> You were given a link to it.
>
> But you have crippled your browser so you can't see it,

Wrong - I can quite successfully see other Ubuntu web pages, and other
web sites web pages.

It is just that some web pages, like that one, are apparently designed
to be not universally accessible, and restrict access to the unwise.

and you did
> not tell us that, you just complained that the site was broken, which
> it is not -- it works fine.

I did not "complain that the site was broken" -
1. if you read my message about it, I stated quite clearly, that I
could not access it.There is a significant difference. If people
deliberately write web pages so that the general public can not access
them, that just means that access is restricted, and is not universal,
and, the web page is not broken for those who can access it. A
concrete wall that does not allow access to people who do not climb
over it, is not broken - it just restricts access.
2. The web page cited, clearly does not provide universal access, so
you have lied - it does NOT fulfil the suggestion

"
>> A universally accessible HOWTO, that leads stepwise through the
>> installation procedure, for installing Ubuntu Linux on a UEFI/GPT
>> system, would be helpful, rather than trying to limit the use of
>> Linux.
"

as the web page is clearly not universally accessible, and, is
apparently designed to be not universally accessible, instead,
requiring peop;lt to put their computers and themselves, at great
risk, in order to access the web page.

3. It is unfortunate that Ubuntu has apparently deliberately not
provided a universally accessible "HOWTO, that leads stepwise through
the installation procedure, for installing Ubuntu Linux on a UEFI/GPT
system", but, that is the prerogative of Ubuntu, which appears to
conscously restrict usage of its operating system, which is the
prerogative of Ubuntu, like it was the prerogative of Skype, to sell
its wonderful communications system to Microsoft, so that it could be
dismembered and rendered useless, by Microsoft.

> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
> Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
> UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Booting Ubuntu on a UEFI computer

rikona
On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 14:44:47 +0800
Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21/02/2018, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 20 February 2018 at 20:39, Bret Busby <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> A universally accessible HOWTO, that leads stepwise through the
> >> installation procedure, for installing Ubuntu Linux on a UEFI/GPT
> >> system, would be helpful, rather than trying to limit the use of
> >> Linux.
> >
> > There is one.
> >
> > You were given a link to it.
> >
> > But you have crippled your browser so you can't see it,
>
> Wrong - I can quite successfully see other Ubuntu web pages, and other
> web sites web pages.
>
> It is just that some web pages, like that one, are apparently designed
> to be not universally accessible, and restrict access to the unwise.

I just tried to access
https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-install-ubuntu-desktop
with a few different browsers. Most work OK but one that does not gives
the following error msg:
"Handshake failed because the server does not want to accept the
enabled SSL/TLS protocol versions."
It's an https page, so if you fix that it will likely work, or just try
another browser.

hth...

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 2:19 PM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21/02/2018, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 10:33 AM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> So, for safety and stability, javascript is disabled.
>>
>> Can't you enable javascript on a site-by-site basis?
>>

> I use toggling the value in about.config to enable javascript for only
> two web sites.

So you could add tutorials.ubuntu.com too, perhaps temporarily.

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 2:39 PM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And, getting back to the point, which people went to such effort to
> get away from, once upon a time, for Linux, wonderful things named
> "HOWTO's" were available, and were universally accessible (not written
> by script kiddies, to require all kinds of trickery, to access them).

The vast majority of web users don't disable javascript so the page is
available "universally."