Booting error

Curt
OK, not specifically an Ubuntu question but I'd hoped someone might have
some advice.
I've just transferred the hardware from what was a working machine into
another case and installed 14.10 on a 160 GB sata drive.
On rebooting the message I got was something like... system disk error.
Insert system disk blah blah blah.
There are two identical disks in the machine and I ran the install on
each of them.
Obviously the installer recognized the hard drive and I see it during
post but the bios does not show any disk installed unless I choose the
setup raid option, then both disks show up.
I get the two short beeps (AMI bios) that indicates a parity circuit
failure. I've tried three different pairs of RAM although I have not run
memtest I did try each of the six sticks - two of them nearly new - one
at a time in each of the three slots and got the same result.

There isn't any bios setting that allows me to specify or configure sata
disks as opposed to IDE so I'm thinking the motherboard, an Asus
A7V8X-X, is probably history.
I'm wondering if there's something I may have missed that could rectify
the issue.

Re: Booting error

Petter Adsen
On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 07:58:56 -0500
"C.Tresenriter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK, not specifically an Ubuntu question but I'd hoped someone might
> have some advice.
> I've just transferred the hardware from what was a working machine
> into another case and installed 14.10 on a 160 GB sata drive.
> On rebooting the message I got was something like... system disk
> error. Insert system disk blah blah blah.
> There are two identical disks in the machine and I ran the install on
> each of them.
> Obviously the installer recognized the hard drive and I see it during
> post but the bios does not show any disk installed unless I choose the
> setup raid option, then both disks show up.
> I get the two short beeps (AMI bios) that indicates a parity circuit
> failure. I've tried three different pairs of RAM although I have not
> run memtest I did try each of the six sticks - two of them nearly new
> - one at a time in each of the three slots and got the same result.
>
> There isn't any bios setting that allows me to specify or configure
> sata disks as opposed to IDE so I'm thinking the motherboard, an Asus
> A7V8X-X, is probably history.
> I'm wondering if there's something I may have missed that could
> rectify the issue.
This *sounds* a lot like a hardware problem, but it's hard to know for
sure without closer inspection :) I don't know if this will be helpful,
but I have a couple of suggestions. Have you tried to look for a newer
version of the BIOS on ASUS' web pages? There is a beta version from
2005/06/28 - maybe you could try that. Also, try running memtest on the
newest RAM sticks, if it fails, try another pair. If you can, try
tunning memtest on the same sticks in another machine to get an idea of
whether it is the sticks themselves or something on the motherboard.

It's odd that the disks don't show up in the BIOS settings except if
you use the RAID setting, and I wouldn't want to use that, I think.

Other than that, all I can do is to wish you the best of luck, and
express my sympathy! :)

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"

Re: Booting error

Curt

On Mon, 2015-03-16 at 14:15 +0100, Petter Adsen wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 07:58:56 -0500

> This *sounds* a lot like a hardware problem, but it's hard to know for
> sure without closer inspection :) I don't know if this will be helpful,
> but I have a couple of suggestions. Have you tried to look for a newer
> version of the BIOS on ASUS' web pages? There is a beta version from
> 2005/06/28 - maybe you could try that. Also, try running memtest on the
> newest RAM sticks, if it fails, try another pair. If you can, try
> tunning memtest on the same sticks in another machine to get an idea of
> whether it is the sticks themselves or something on the motherboard.
>
> It's odd that the disks don't show up in the BIOS settings except if
> you use the RAID setting, and I wouldn't want to use that, I think.

I was hesitant to upgrade the bios as all I've read tells me not to
upgrade unless the new version addresses an issue that is present. I did
look at the beta version but it fixes something I don't need so I
abandoned the idea.
I'm putting together another machine and will run memtest on the sticks
on it.
It also seems odd that the drives show in post but not under hard drives
in the bios.
I'm wondering now if, in the worst case, there may be a chip on the
motherboard I could try to replace.
It would be worth a shot if it wasn't too expensive an experiment.

> Other than that, all I can do is to wish you the best of luck, and
> express my sympathy! :)
>
> Petter

Thanks!

Re: Booting error

Petter Adsen
On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 08:33:45 -0500
"C.Tresenriter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2015-03-16 at 14:15 +0100, Petter Adsen wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 07:58:56 -0500
> > This *sounds* a lot like a hardware problem, but it's hard to know
> > for sure without closer inspection :) I don't know if this will be
> > helpful, but I have a couple of suggestions. Have you tried to look
> > for a newer version of the BIOS on ASUS' web pages? There is a beta
> > version from 2005/06/28 - maybe you could try that. Also, try
> > running memtest on the newest RAM sticks, if it fails, try another
> > pair. If you can, try tunning memtest on the same sticks in another
> > machine to get an idea of whether it is the sticks themselves or
> > something on the motherboard.
> >
> > It's odd that the disks don't show up in the BIOS settings except if
> > you use the RAID setting, and I wouldn't want to use that, I think.
>
> I was hesitant to upgrade the bios as all I've read tells me not to
> upgrade unless the new version addresses an issue that is present. I
> did look at the beta version but it fixes something I don't need so I
> abandoned the idea.
That's a perfectly good reason not to do it. Have you looked at the
other versions available, that might be newer than the one you are
currently running?

> I'm putting together another machine and will run memtest on the
> sticks on it.

Also run it on this machine, to see if it fails there. That might give
you more of an idea where the problem lies.

> It also seems odd that the drives show in post but not under hard
> drives in the bios.

Yes. That mystifies me too. Have you tried googling for the motherboard
model number and "drive not detected", or something like that? I did a
quick search here, and there were a few things suggested that you can
try out, like swapping the cables etc.

> I'm wondering now if, in the worst case, there may be a chip on the
> motherboard I could try to replace.

Well, that sounds like an avenue of last resort :)

> It would be worth a shot if it wasn't too expensive an experiment.

At some point it might just be better to admit defeat and invest in a
new motherboard. If the last BIOS update was in 2005, I assume the
board itself is old. Capacitors, the battery, etc don't last forever.

Maybe the BIOS itself is corrupted, in some way, so that reflashing the
version you already have could help. I really don't know what else to
suggest, I suspect the day of reckoning has come for that motherboard.

Again, good luck.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"

Re: Booting error

Nils Kassube-2
C.Tresenriter wrote:
> I've just transferred the hardware from what was a working machine
> into another case and installed 14.10 on a 160 GB sata drive.
> On rebooting the message I got was something like... system disk
> error. Insert system disk blah blah blah.
> There are two identical disks in the machine and I ran the install on
> each of them.
> Obviously the installer recognized the hard drive and I see it during
> post but the bios does not show any disk installed unless I choose the
> setup raid option, then both disks show up.

Were both disks present when you installed to the two disks? If that was
the case, it might be that the installer both times wrote the boot
loader to the one disk which the BIOS doesn't use as the boot disk. Then
the instructions on this page should help:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair>

Nils

Re: Booting error

Curt

On Mon, 2015-03-16 at 14:56 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:

> C.Tresenriter wrote:
> > I've just transferred the hardware from what was a working machine
> > into another case and installed 14.10 on a 160 GB sata drive.
> > On rebooting the message I got was something like... system disk
> > error. Insert system disk blah blah blah.
> > There are two identical disks in the machine and I ran the install on
> > each of them.
> > Obviously the installer recognized the hard drive and I see it during
> > post but the bios does not show any disk installed unless I choose the
> > setup raid option, then both disks show up.
>
> Were both disks present when you installed to the two disks? If that was
> the case, it might be that the installer both times wrote the boot
> loader to the one disk which the BIOS doesn't use as the boot disk. Then
> the instructions on this page should help:
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair>
>

> Nils
Yes they were both present during each attempt.
Each time I chose the disk I was installing on for the bootloader.
I'd forgotten to mention that I did try boot-repair but now that you
mention it the version I have was d/l'd long ago, I'll get the latest
version just in case..
There's probably something else I've forgotten too.
I've been playing with it on and off for a couple weeks now.

Re: Booting error

Curt

On Mon, 2015-03-16 at 14:54 +0100, Petter Adsen wrote:

> At some point it might just be better to admit defeat and invest in a
> new motherboard. If the last BIOS update was in 2005, I assume the
> board itself is old. Capacitors, the battery, etc don't last forever.

        Yes, it's very old, over ten years at least so if it isn't dead it
surely will be soon.
        I thought about replacing it but the RAM I have won't work with
anything newer and of course I'll need a          new processor, then
there's the issue of AGP video cards I have... $$$$
I was going to use it for testing, break and fix stuff etc. So I can't
really justify the money for new equipment unless I come up with really
creative excuse.

> Maybe the BIOS itself is corrupted, in some way, so that reflashing the
> version you already have could help. I really don't know what else to
> suggest, I suspect the day of reckoning has come for that motherboard.

        That hadn't occurred to me! I'll give that a try too.

> Again, good luck.
>
> Petter

And again, thanks.

Re: Booting error

Dan Purgert
On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 07:58:56 -0500, C.Tresenriter wrote:

> ...the bios does not show any disk installed unless I choose the
> setup raid option, then both disks show up.

Set up the RAID?  I remember an older nVidia based board I had (nForce or
nForce2 chipset) _required_ that I set up the RAID, even though I was
just using JBOD.

Forgot that one time when I replaced the drives with newer/bigger ones,
and the computer was stuck for like a week until I found my "hey stupid,
don't forget to set the RAID" note.

Re: Booting error

CWSIV JUNO
On Mon, 2015-03-16 at 09:39 -0500, C.Tresenriter wrote:

On Mon, 2015-03-16 at 14:54 +0100, Petter Adsen wrote:

> At some point it might just be better to admit defeat and invest in a
> new motherboard. If the last BIOS update was in 2005, I assume the
> board itself is old. Capacitors, the battery, etc don't last forever.

	Yes, it's very old, over ten years at least so if it isn't dead it
surely will be soon.
	I thought about replacing it but the RAM I have won't work with
anything newer and of course I'll need a          new processor, then
there's the issue of AGP video cards I have... $$$$

Then try to clean it air can the connectors with memory out then use Bullfrog cleaner on the memory slots and a soft rubber eraser on the memory stick connectors.

A computer shop can test your memory if that is an issue.

CWSIV