Booting to the command line without X-windows

Booting to the command line without X-windows

John W. Redelfs
Because of all the Ubuntu hype, I'm coming back to Linux after several
years away from it, and I have forgotten a lot.  Can anybody tell me
how I should change my setup so that it boots from the boot loader to
a console login without X-windows and Gnome?  I prefer starting out on
the command line, and changing to a GUI only when I want one.

Alternatively, could someone tell me how to drop from the Gnome
desktop to the command line without X-windows.  Using sudo in a
terminal window from Gnome to install nVidia drivers doesn't work
because I need to do it without X-windows running.

--
Your friend and brother,
John W. Redelfs AKA Tars Tarkas, [hidden email]

Re: Booting to the command line without X-windows

chrisccoulson

Crtl+Alt+f1 i think will take you to a login without x windows and gnome
do this when you are logged in graphically though

--
dcast

Re: Booting to the command line without X-windows

zach-7
This varies from distro to distro, but for Ubuntu, it's pretty
straightforward.  The gdm initscript starts up the gdm login manager
attached to tty 7.  If you don't want X, you just need to disable the
gdm startup script.

The best way to do this is with the update-rc.d utility.
update-rc.d gdm remove
It will complain that you're trying to remove the symlinks in the
rc<runlevel>.d directories when the init script still exists.  you
have to use the -f option to force.  Don't worry though, it will leave
the init script intact, so you can use update-rc.d again later to
re-enable it.

On 11/16/05, John W Redelfs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Because of all the Ubuntu hype, I'm coming back to Linux after several
> years away from it, and I have forgotten a lot.  Can anybody tell me
> how I should change my setup so that it boots from the boot loader to
> a console login without X-windows and Gnome?  I prefer starting out on
> the command line, and changing to a GUI only when I want one.
>
> Alternatively, could someone tell me how to drop from the Gnome
> desktop to the command line without X-windows.  Using sudo in a
> terminal window from Gnome to install nVidia drivers doesn't work
> because I need to do it without X-windows running.
>
> --
> Your friend and brother,
> John W. Redelfs AKA Tars Tarkas, [hidden email]

Re: Booting to the command line without X-windows

golfer
On 11/16/05, John W Redelfs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Because of all the Ubuntu hype, I'm coming back to Linux after several
> years away from it, and I have forgotten a lot.  Can anybody tell me
> how I should change my setup so that it boots from the boot loader to
> a console login without X-windows and Gnome?  I prefer starting out on
> the command line, and changing to a GUI only when I want one.

I set up run level 3 to be gui-less by deleting the /etc/rc3.d/S13gdm
and S21kdm and creating K01gdm and K01kdm links instead.  i.e.:

:~$ ls -l /etc/rc3.d/K01*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 13 2005-10-20 07:42 /etc/rc3.d/K01gdm -> ../init.d/gdm
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 13 2005-10-20 07:42 /etc/rc3.d/K01kdm -> ../init.d/kdm

Then when I want to use the console, just 'sudo telinit 3'.  To start
in konsole, I can 'sudo nano /etc/inittab' and change
"id:2:initdefault:" to "id:3:initdefault:"

> Alternatively, could someone tell me how to drop from the Gnome
> desktop to the command line without X-windows.  Using sudo in a
> terminal window from Gnome to install nVidia drivers doesn't work
> because I need to do it without X-windows running.

Maybe someone else has a better way.

bye

Re: Booting to the command line without X-windows

D.Personne
Le mercredi 16 novembre 2005 à 13:40 -0900, John W Redelfs a écrit :

> Alternatively, could someone tell me how to drop from the Gnome
> desktop to the command line without X-windows.

Ctrl-Alt-F1 (...) then log in and sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

> --
> Your friend and brother,
> John W. Redelfs AKA Tars Tarkas, [hidden email]

Re: Booting to the command line without X-windows

Phillip Susi
And to manually start/stop X just run /etc/init.d/gdm [ start | stop ]

Zach wrote:

>This varies from distro to distro, but for Ubuntu, it's pretty
>straightforward.  The gdm initscript starts up the gdm login manager
>attached to tty 7.  If you don't want X, you just need to disable the
>gdm startup script.
>
>The best way to do this is with the update-rc.d utility.
>update-rc.d gdm remove
>It will complain that you're trying to remove the symlinks in the
>rc<runlevel>.d directories when the init script still exists.  you
>have to use the -f option to force.  Don't worry though, it will leave
>the init script intact, so you can use update-rc.d again later to
>re-enable it.
>
>On 11/16/05, John W Redelfs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Because of all the Ubuntu hype, I'm coming back to Linux after several
>>years away from it, and I have forgotten a lot.  Can anybody tell me
>>how I should change my setup so that it boots from the boot loader to
>>a console login without X-windows and Gnome?  I prefer starting out on
>>the command line, and changing to a GUI only when I want one.
>>
>>Alternatively, could someone tell me how to drop from the Gnome
>>desktop to the command line without X-windows.  Using sudo in a
>>terminal window from Gnome to install nVidia drivers doesn't work
>>because I need to do it without X-windows running.
>>
>>--
>>Your friend and brother,
>>John W. Redelfs AKA Tars Tarkas, [hidden email]
>>
>>--
>>

>--
>and you want me to see your reply, be sure to put my
>address in the 'To:', or I might not see the message.

Re: Booting to the command line without X-windows

Mikus Grinbergs
> > Alternatively, could someone tell me how to drop from the Gnome
> > desktop to the command line without X-windows. =20
>
> Ctrl-Alt-F1 (...) then log in and sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

On my system, after *upgrading* from Hoary to Breezy,
Ctrl-Alt-F1 (or any Fx) is __NOT__ recognized as a control
sequence. (No switch to a virtual (text) console occurs.
On Hoary, that control sequence worked fine.)  I've
re-installed likely packages -- nothing has helped.

mikus

Re: Booting to the command line without X-windows

Adolfo Bello
On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 20:57 -0500, golfer wrote:

> On 11/16/05, John W Redelfs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Because of all the Ubuntu hype, I'm coming back to Linux after several
> > years away from it, and I have forgotten a lot.  Can anybody tell me
> > how I should change my setup so that it boots from the boot loader to
> > a console login without X-windows and Gnome?  I prefer starting out on
> > the command line, and changing to a GUI only when I want one.
>
> I set up run level 3 to be gui-less by deleting the /etc/rc3.d/S13gdm
> and S21kdm and creating K01gdm and K01kdm links instead.  i.e.:
>
> :~$ ls -l /etc/rc3.d/K01*
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 13 2005-10-20 07:42 /etc/rc3.d/K01gdm -> ../init.d/gdm
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 13 2005-10-20 07:42 /etc/rc3.d/K01kdm -> ../init.d/kdm
>
> Then when I want to use the console, just 'sudo telinit 3'.  To start
> in konsole, I can 'sudo nano /etc/inittab' and change
> "id:2:initdefault:" to "id:3:initdefault:"
>

> > Alternatively, could someone tell me how to drop from the Gnome
> > desktop to the command line without X-windows.  Using sudo in a
> > terminal window from Gnome to install nVidia drivers doesn't work
> > because I need to do it without X-windows running.
>
> Maybe someone else has a better way.
>
> bye

This is what I did to have run level 3 as console mode and add it to the
grub menu:

Step 1:
        update-rc.d -f gdm start 13 2 4 5 . stop 01 0 1 3 6 .

Step 2: Modify /boot/grub/menu.lst by adding a new menu entry:

        title           Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.12-9-386 (CONSOLE)
        root            (hd0,6)
        kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-386 root=/dev/hda7 ro acpi=on quiet splash 3
        initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.12-9-386
        boot

Make sure to adjust the root line to your hard drive setup and to run
"sudo update-grub"

Now, you can select booting to console mode from the grub menu. You can
even select it as the default boot mode.

HTH

Adolfo