Booting ubuntu 18.04 - problems

Paul Sutton-3

Hi

I am having issues booting a newly installed 18.04 lts 64bit

basic system info: (from inxi)
CPU~Dual core Intel Core2 Duo E7500 (-MCP-) speed/max~1916/2926 MHz
Kernel~4.13.0-39-generic x86_64 Up~51 min Mem~1446.7/2971.8MB
HDD~660.1GB(9.6% used) Procs~175 Client~Shell inxi~2.2.35

raphics:  Card: Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded:
fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1600x900@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Q35 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 17.2.8

Ubuntu appears to install without problems.  Upon booting I get the
splash screen and pressing esc takes me to the text messages I am
getting during bootup.

I get as far as

Started Session c1 of user gdm
Started user manager for uid 120

after which the system simply no longer does anything.

I CAN however do

alt-sysRQ R S E I U B to cleanly reboot the system.

However

If I boot in to recovery mode, I get a full desktop,  so there is
clearly something that recovery mode isn't loading in that is perhaps
causing the issue during the normal boot process.

I installed Ubuntu on a netbook early and got the same again, didn't boo
t.

Can anyone help with this please, or perhaps shed light on if the
issue is with what I downloaded (md5sum etc seemed fine)

I would sort of assume that if there was a bug in the ISO i made a dvd
from then as there are updates downloaded during the install process
then perhaps these updates would fix any known issues.

is it possible to edit files in recovery mode to try and fix what ever
is happening normally ?

I installed Lubuntu 18.04 on top of Ubuntu 18.04 earlier and this
works,  so I am going to stick with Lubntu for now,  but I can use a
netbook to try and investigate further,  just more difficult to
transfer files over of logs or output from commands to copy / paste here
.

thanks for any help / suggestions

Paul Sutton

- ----

- --
http://www.zleap.net

Re: Booting ubuntu 18.04 - problems

Liam Proven
On Tue, 8 May 2018 at 17:14, Paul Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I installed Lubuntu 18.04 on top of Ubuntu 18.04 earlier and this
> works,  so I am going to stick with Lubntu for now,  but I can use a
> netbook to try and investigate further,  just more difficult to
> transfer files over of logs or output from commands to copy / paste here

I am finding your report hard to follow.

You installed Ubuntu, it failed to load the desktop, so you overwrote it
with Lubuntu and that works?

So why not stay with Lubuntu, then?

What about Lubuntu makes it hard to copy-and-paste errror messages or
whatever? It can do everything Ubuntu can.

Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

Re: Booting ubuntu 18.04 - problems

laura.czajkowski@gmail.com
did you file a bug report? If so what is the number so people can try and verify it. What steps were taken to reproduce, what triggers it.

Laura

On 9 May 2018 at 08:32, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 8 May 2018 at 17:14, Paul Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I installed Lubuntu 18.04 on top of Ubuntu 18.04 earlier and this
> works,  so I am going to stick with Lubntu for now,  but I can use a
> netbook to try and investigate further,  just more difficult to
> transfer files over of logs or output from commands to copy / paste here

I am finding your report hard to follow.

You installed Ubuntu, it failed to load the desktop, so you overwrote it
with Lubuntu and that works?

So why not stay with Lubuntu, then?

What about Lubuntu makes it hard to copy-and-paste errror messages or
whatever? It can do everything Ubuntu can.

Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

Re: Booting ubuntu 18.04 - problems

Found this in my spam trap.

Paul, please bottom-post on the mailing list. Also you do not need to PGP
sign messages to the list.

On Wed, 9 May 2018 at 11:50, Paul Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I dual boot,  then I can save output piped to a file., for example

> ls -l > directory.txt

This won't help with errors that were not logged to a file, though.

When you try to boot the affected OS, can you log in on a text console?

If it's in GUI mode (e.g. blank screen) -- Ctrl+Alt+F2 through to F6

If it's stuck in text mode -- Alt-F1 to F6

(Ctrl-)Alt-F7 should re-display the graphical screen.

If you *can* log in in text mode, and you're using an Ethernet cable, try
to update.

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade -y

> - From mint I can access the ubuntu file system,  and copy the file over

Which file?

Also, this means that Mint works fine? Which version of Mint?

> - From the netbook with only Ubuntu on, it is a little more tricky to
> figure out how to get a file which contains an error output to another
> computer,   sure I can use flash disks,  which is one option.

I thought that you said that the netbook runs Lubuntu and worked OK?

> I will see if i can use pastebin,  and pastebinit and carefully copy
> down the URL to the output.

> I think it is knowing what to look for and how to produce output and
> getting that output to the right place that I find difficult.

You haven't narrowed down for us what output yet...

On 09/05/18 11:22, Liam Proven wrote:

> Found this in my spam trap.
>
> Paul, please bottom-post on the mailing list. Also you do not need to PGP
> sign messages to the list.
>
> On Wed, 9 May 2018 at 11:50, Paul Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> If I dual boot,  then I can save output piped to a file., for example
>
>> ls -l > directory.txt
>
> This won't help with errors that were not logged to a file, though.
>
> When you try to boot the affected OS, can you log in on a text console?
>
> If it's in GUI mode (e.g. blank screen) -- Ctrl+Alt+F2 through to F6
>
> If it's stuck in text mode -- Alt-F1 to F6
>
> (Ctrl-)Alt-F7 should re-display the graphical screen.
>
> If you *can* log in in text mode, and you're using an Ethernet cable, try
> to update.
>
> sudo apt update
> sudo apt full-upgrade -y
>
>> - From mint I can access the ubuntu file system,  and copy the file over
>
> Which file?

Any file which is saved under a dual boot system.  However as I replaced
ubuntu 18.04 with lubntu 18.04 which is working fine, I am trying to use
a netbook to investigate this issue further.

> Also, this means that Mint works fine? Which version of Mint?

18.3 64bit

I have a PC dualbooting with Linux mint 18.3 and Lubuntu, I replaced
Ubuntu 18.04 which wasn't working with Lubuntu which does work.

I then decided to install Ubuntu 18.04 on to a netbook,  this still
stops part way through booting (in the same place).  However it does
mean I can work on this problem on a netbook. and still use my main
system to ask for help.

I switch on,  press esc to get text output and it stops after
[ ok ] started user manager for uid 120

this is a block of messages starting with
gdm.servicegdm.service

there is no indication that any of the services within this have failed
(all have [ ok ]

At this point,  the system just ctrl-alt-f1 (and no response from alt-f1
etc either)

However

alt-sysrq RSEIUB work,  so that does suggest that the kernel (and other
processes) are still running in the background and listening for those
key presses,

I also get a mouse pointer up (so it is probably a good 95+ percent in
to getting a gui displayed) not that the mouse pointer moves with the
trackpad.

The netbook has an ip address, so I tried to ssh in, but this failed
with connection refused, as I guess ssh-server isn't running, which was
worth a try.

I can get in to recovery mode fine so am in that now,  so will try doing
the update.

thanks

Paul

On Wed, 9 May 2018 at 13:23, Paul Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/05/18 11:22, Liam Proven wrote:

> > Which file?

> Any file which is saved under a dual boot system.

Yeah, I think we understood that. :-) What I meant is this: are there any
particular files that you think may be useful to aid troubleshooting?

> However as I replaced
> ubuntu 18.04 with lubntu 18.04 which is working fine, I am trying to use
> a netbook to investigate this issue further.

OK, I think.

> > Also, this means that Mint works fine? Which version of Mint?
> >
> 18.3 64bit

Which desktop, though?

Mint mainly offers Cinnamon and Maté.

Maté is a fork of GNOME 2. It does not need OpenGL compositing but it can
use it if you enable it.

Cinnamon is a fork of GNOME 3. It requires OpenGL compositing.

So does generic Ubuntu now, as 17.10 and 18.04 use GNOME 3.

If you are using Maté or another desktop, and it works fine, like Lubuntu
(because LXDE doesn't need OpenGL either), then this points to a GPU or GPU
driver problem.

If you  are using Cinnamon, it doesn't.

> I have a PC dualbooting with Linux mint 18.3 and Lubuntu, I replaced
> Ubuntu 18.04 which wasn't working with Lubuntu which does work.

OK.

Silly question: why not just use Lubuntu then?

It's a Core 2 Duo, right? So it's quite old -- probably about a decade.
Lubuntu or Xubuntu are better fits than the full-fat GNOME 3 version.

> I then decided to install Ubuntu 18.04 on to a netbook,  this still
> stops part way through booting (in the same place).  However it does
> mean I can work on this problem on a netbook. and still use my main
> system to ask for help.

Is it an old Atom-powered one? If so, again, I'd recommend Lubuntu or
Xubuntu.

> I switch on,  press esc to get text output and it stops after
> [ ok ] started user manager for uid 120

> this is a block of messages starting with
> gdm.servicegdm.service

> there is no indication that any of the services within this have failed
> (all have [ ok ]

> At this point,  the system just ctrl-alt-f1

I think there was a word missing there. The system just *what* Alt-f1?

> alt-sysrq RSEIUB work,  so that does suggest that the kernel (and other
> processes) are still running in the background and listening for those
> key presses,

Agreed.

I am still suspecting GPU issues at this point.

> I also get a mouse pointer up (so it is probably a good 95+ percent in
> to getting a gui displayed) not that the mouse pointer moves with the
> trackpad.

That sounds like it froze. Also that it's unresponsive to Ctrl+Alt+F-keys.

> The netbook has an ip address, so I tried to ssh in, but this failed
> with connection refused, as I guess ssh-server isn't running, which was
> worth a try.

> I can get in to recovery mode fine so am in that now,  so will try doing
> the update.

You might be able to install the SSH server in recovery mode.

Also, it's worth upgrading the firmware on both, if any update is available.