Bootsplash & Atheros Chipset Questions

Fabiano Sidler-2
Hi folks!

Breezy is running quite well meanwhile, but I still have two questions:

How can I get the bootsplash working? Since the ATI driver (for my ATI
Mobility Radeon X600) had not been installed automatically, the
bootsplash was not set up during installation. How can I add this now?

Is there someone else out there whose system crashs as soon as his
Atheros-based PCMCIA-Card (Dlink DWL-G650+) lost the AP? Are the other
drivers more stable?

Best wishes,
F. Sidler

Re: Bootsplash & Atheros Chipset Questions

Dennis Kaarsemaker
On ma, 2005-11-07 at 08:25 +0100, Fabiano Sidler wrote:

> How can I get the bootsplash working?

sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-$(uname -r)
--
Dennis K.
  - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntulinux.org

Re: Bootsplash & Atheros Chipset Questions

Oscar Carlsson-2
On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 08:25:00 +0100
Fabiano Sidler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there someone else out there whose system crashs as soon as his
> Atheros-based PCMCIA-Card (Dlink DWL-G650+) lost the AP? Are the other
> drivers more stable?

Are you sure that card is atheros-based?
I think it's a Texas Instruments ACX100 chipset, and they use the acx111 (acx100.sf.net), and they aren't very stable...

I have 2 atheros-based cards (one pci, one pcmcia), and they are both stable and reliable - but my Ti ACX100-card is not :(

Oscar

2005/11/7, Dennis Kaarsemaker <[hidden email]>:
> sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-$(uname -r)

Oh, that easy? Cool, thank you! ;)

Greetings,

2005/11/7, Oscar <[hidden email]>:
> Are you sure that card is atheros-based?

It was written in big letters on the packing and the driver works, at
least as I've stated above. Meanwhile I encountered a crash under
Windous, too, so I can't call it 100% a (linux)-driver problem any
longer, although I'm a bit surprised about that a PCMCIA-card can
crash an OS on the hardware level...and why Kubuntu always crashes on
loss of the AP, but Windous only once in the months I have this card.
Anyway, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea if I get another card, just
for being certain that I can at least *one* card productively.

On ma, 2005-11-07 at 23:32 +0100, Fabiano Sidler wrote:
> I'm a bit surprised about that a PCMCIA-card can
> crash an OS on the hardware level

Bad hardware/drivers can crash anything...