Breezy Badger seems to be still very beta (significant crashes)

Breezy Badger seems to be still very beta (significant crashes)

Holger Rumland
Hello everyone,
since the last stable Ubuntu/Kubuntu version was released and to be considered stable
I had already 3 significant crashes on Ubuntu and the last time on Kubuntu. I these cases
the whole GUI froze up and afterwards the system was unusable, because the root directory
filled up during the crash to 100% within minutes. I have several Distributions on my Laptop
with 1 GB memory and 7 GB partition size for the root (Kubuntu) and 12 GB for the root (Ubuntu).
These partitions maybe used by around 20 % before the crash, afterwards they show with the
df command that they are to 100% used. I tried to find a core dump file but could not find anything.

a) I would like to know what happens during the crash that the whole root partition fills up within minutes
to 100% so quickly ??

b) How can I trouble shoot and free up the partition to the status before the crash so that I can use this
system once again (in this case right now Kubuntu) ??

I would appreciate to get some help in order to fix this problem. As I do not want to reinstall the system
all the time this happens, I am looking forward to a good workaround/solution I case this happens again
also from the developer site of Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Holger

Re: Breezy Badger seems to be still very beta (significant crashes)

Steve Turnbull-3
On Friday 18 November 2005 07:18, Holger Rumland wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> since the last stable Ubuntu/Kubuntu version was released and to be
> considered stable
> I had already 3 significant crashes on Ubuntu and the last time on
> Kubuntu. I these cases
> the whole GUI froze up and afterwards the system was unusable, because
> the root directory
> filled up during the crash to 100% within minutes. I have several
> Distributions on my Laptop
> with 1 GB memory and 7 GB partition size for the root (Kubuntu) and 12
> GB for the root (Ubuntu).
> These partitions maybe used by around 20 % before the crash, afterwards
> they show with the
> df command that they are to 100% used. I tried to find a core dump file
> but could not find anything.
>
> a) I would like to know what happens during the crash that the whole
> root partition fills up within minutes
> to 100% so quickly ??
>
> b) How can I trouble shoot and free up the partition to the status
> before the crash so that I can use this
> system once again (in this case right now Kubuntu) ??
>
> I would appreciate to get some help in order to fix this problem. As I
> do not want to reinstall the system
> all the time this happens, I am looking forward to a good
> workaround/solution I case this happens again
> also from the developer site of Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

Sorry not an answer to your question, only a comment to agree with you that
Breezy doesn't seem 'stable'

I have had different issues with Breezy that have remained un-answered on a
couple of forums, but my laptop running Hoary was virtually trouble free,
performance was far better and certain software is not installable for me on
Breezy.

See my post at;
http://kubuntuforums.net/index.php?topic=1540.0

My person opinion is that because of the 6 months release cycle, things were
pushed through a little fast. If a six month release cycle is the way to go,
I would sooner see fewer, changes which have had more time spent on them...

I am however a big Kubuntu advocate, just that I am still running 5.04 for the
reasons stated above.

Just my rantings
Steve

--
Steve Turnbull

Digital Content Developer
YHGfL Foundation

Re: Breezy Badger seems to be still very beta (significant crashes)

Scott-22
Holger Rumland wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> since the last stable Ubuntu/Kubuntu version was released and to be
> considered stable
> I had already 3 significant crashes on Ubuntu and the last time on
> Kubuntu. I these cases
> the whole GUI froze up and afterwards the system was unusable, because
> the root directory
> filled up during the crash to 100% within minutes.

I'm sorry to hear that.  I've been lucky so far.  No significant
crashes, just bugs here and there.  The gtk-qt engine is driving me
nuts.  However, I've heard that problem is affecting all recent distros.

> I have several
> Distributions on my Laptop
> with 1 GB memory and 7 GB partition size for the root (Kubuntu) and 12
> GB for the root (Ubuntu).

You have a separate Kubuntu Breezy *and* Ubuntu Breezy Install on the
same Hard Drive?

I have both combined. I've got K/Ubuntu with GNOME, KDE, XFCE, Fluxbox
and GNUStep/Windowmaker installed (I'm a desktop junkie, what can I say?
 ;-) ).

> These partitions maybe used by around 20 % before the crash, afterwards
> they show with the
> df command that they are to 100% used. I tried to find a core dump file
> but could not find anything.

That is very odd.  I've never heard of anything like that before.  I'm
sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Good luck.

--
Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com

Re: Breezy Badger seems to be still very beta (significant crashes)

golfer
On 11/18/05, Holger Rumland <[hidden email]> wrote:
b) How can I trouble shoot and free up the partition to the status before the crash so that I can use this
system once again (in this case right now Kubuntu) ??

'man find' will give you some help.  You can mount the bad partition from another working linux.  You can check the /var/log/messages on the full partition to discover the exact time of the crash.  Then, use the -mtime, -mmin or other time based search criteria to find files modified at the time of the crash.  Or, use the -size option to look for super sized files.  Once you identify them, add the -delete option to delete them.

regards,