[Breezy] DVD playback capability

Marcio Carvalho
I'm using Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy Badger and I cant properly watch a DVD on
my computer, unless I reboot it to the Windows.

I've already done the steps indicated in the UbuntuGuide but some
packages mentioned there are unavailable.

It sucks!!!!! I could watch my DVDs with Knoppix but with Ubuntu it's too slow.

Thanks for any help.

Marcio.

--
"Do or do not. There is no try."  (Master Yoda)

Re: [Breezy] DVD playback capability

Eamonn Sullivan
On 08/11/05, Marcio Carvalho <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm using Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy Badger and I cant properly watch a DVD on
> my computer, unless I reboot it to the Windows.
>
> I've already done the steps indicated in the UbuntuGuide but some
> packages mentioned there are unavailable.
>
> It sucks!!!!! I could watch my DVDs with Knoppix but with Ubuntu it's too slow.

Sounds like it may be a DMA issue. Have you tried enabling DMA on the drive?

http://help.ubuntu.com/starterguide/C/faqguide-all.html#id2514447

-Eamonn

Re: [Breezy] DVD playback capability

Dennis Kaarsemaker
On di, 2005-11-08 at 07:58 -0300, Marcio Carvalho wrote:
> I'm using Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy Badger and I cant properly watch a DVD on
> my computer, unless I reboot it to the Windows.
>
> I've already done the steps indicated in the UbuntuGuide but some
> packages mentioned there are unavailable.
>
> It sucks!!!!! I could watch my DVDs with Knoppix but with Ubuntu it's too slow.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Ubuntuguide is quite crappy, what did you try exactly?

* Make sure dma is enabled (hdparm -d /dev/your_drive will tell you)
* You might need libdvdcss, package is available on
  seveas.ubuntulinux.nl
* You might need w32codecs, package can be found in the same place
--
Dennis K.
  - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntulinux.org

Re: [Breezy] DVD playback capability

Marcio Carvalho
Ok. I've already installed w32codecs and libdvdcss.

The DMA was not enabled, then I set it to ON, but the problem persists.

The video and the sound suffer from jumps. And I've tested the DVDs on
another computers. Just to remember, it works fine on my computer on
windows.

Marcio

On 11/8/05, Dennis Kaarsemaker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On di, 2005-11-08 at 07:58 -0300, Marcio Carvalho wrote:
> > I'm using Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy Badger and I cant properly watch a DVD on
> > my computer, unless I reboot it to the Windows.
> >
> > I've already done the steps indicated in the UbuntuGuide but some
> > packages mentioned there are unavailable.
> >
> > It sucks!!!!! I could watch my DVDs with Knoppix but with Ubuntu it's too slow.
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
>
> Ubuntuguide is quite crappy, what did you try exactly?
>
> * Make sure dma is enabled (hdparm -d /dev/your_drive will tell you)
> * You might need libdvdcss, package is available on
>   seveas.ubuntulinux.nl
> * You might need w32codecs, package can be found in the same place
> --
> Dennis K.
>   - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntulinux.org
>   - Linux voor normale mensen: http://www.ubuntulinux.nl

"Do or do not. There is no try."  (Master Yoda)

Re: [Breezy] DVD playback capability

Luca Manganelli
On 11/9/05, Marcio Carvalho <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ok. I've already installed w32codecs and libdvdcss.
>
> The DMA was not enabled, then I set it to ON, but the problem persists.
>
> The video and the sound suffer from jumps. And I've tested the DVDs on
> another computers. Just to remember, it works fine on my computer on
> windows.

put here the output of

 hdparm /dev/hd...   (where hd* is your DVD drive)

Re: [Breezy] DVD playback capability

Marcio Carvalho
marcio@paraiba:~$ hdparm -d /dev/dvd

/dev/dvd: