Breezy crashes all the time...

Tobias Ambrosi
Hi!

2 days ago I installed Ubuntu 5.10 on a completely new HDD. And it
crashes all the time. Often Firefox, Openoffice, ... or even the whole
X-Server/Gnome crashes. Sometimes the whole system just freezes. Even
some widgets like Trash or so crashes and are not displayed anymore,
what could it be?

I already did a Memorycheck, everything OK here. Before, I had a Kubuntu
5.04 System which run much better, but I didn't like KDE...

My System Configuration:
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Amd-64 3000+
2 GB infinion Ram
Gforce FX 5300
Ubuntu 5.10 (386/686-Kernel)-tried both

Toby

Re: Breezy crashes all the time...

Christoph Bier
Tobias Ambrosi schrieb am 18.11.2005 11:31:

> Hi!
>
> 2 days ago I installed Ubuntu 5.10 on a completely new HDD. And it
> crashes all the time. Often Firefox, Openoffice, ... or even the whole
> X-Server/Gnome crashes. Sometimes the whole system just freezes. Even
> some widgets like Trash or so crashes and are not displayed anymore,
> what could it be?

I try to track down similar problems with my Breezy installation.
Problems I didn't have at least with Sarge. Maybe Hoary, too, but I
can't remember because while Hoary was installed I didn't had to use
my laptop that much.

> I already did a Memorycheck, everything OK here. [...]

Does `Ctrl Alt Del' work? Do you have the possibility for remote
access? You could then check whether the whole system freezes or
just the GUI.

Which driver do you use for your video card? I observed GUI freezes
with newer nv drivers of Xorg and XFree86. Installing the nvidia
drivers fixed the problem (search the Wiki for further information;
I don't have a link.).

Regards,
    Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln: http://www.zvisionwelt.de/typokurz.pdf (1.4)

Re: Breezy crashes all the time...

Mehdi Hassanpour
try using Ubuntu 5.10 for AMD64
http://us.releases.ubuntu.com/releases/5.10/ubuntu-5.10-install-amd64.iso

On 11/18/05, Tobias Ambrosi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

2 days ago I installed Ubuntu 5.10 on a completely new HDD. And it
crashes all the time. Often Firefox, Openoffice, ... or even the whole
X-Server/Gnome crashes. Sometimes the whole system just freezes. Even
some widgets like Trash or so crashes and are not displayed anymore,
what could it be?

I already did a Memorycheck, everything OK here. Before, I had a Kubuntu
5.04 System which run much better, but I didn't like KDE...

My System Configuration:
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Amd-64 3000+
2 GB infinion Ram
Gforce FX 5300
Ubuntu 5.10 (386/686-Kernel)-tried both

Toby

Yours Sincerely, Mehdi Hassanpour
http://ImPersian.com

/* Of one Essence is the human race,
Thusly has Creation put the Base;
One Limb impacted is sufficient,
For all Others to feel the Mace. ~Saadi (persian poet) -1258 */

Re: Breezy crashes all the time...

Tobias Ambrosi
Thanks for your Help!

Seems, that I solved this with a Bios update from 1011 to 1015!

Toby