Broken VirtualBox

Rasec Solerom
Hi all...  please excuse the long message, but I want to provide as much info as possible... Please I need help to solve this problem fast.

I installed some updates this morning and now I can not start any of the VMs I have been using without problems.
This is Ubuntu 20.04.1 and VirtualBox 6.1 installed from the Ubuntu repository.
The error I get is the "Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)" error message that suggests reinstalling the virtualbox-dkms package and running 'modprobe vboxdrv'.
Doing that gave me errors and did not work.
I ran software updater again and made sure everything is updated and nothing is pending.
I have searched the web extensively and I have not been able to solve the problem.
When I use Synaptic Package Manager to reinstall virtualbox and virtualbox-dkms, I get the following error:
E: Internal Error, No file name for virtualbox-dkms:amd64

I thought that a new kernel was installed and the compile of virtualbox-dkms for the new kernel has some incompatibility and fails.
So I rebooted with the previous kernel and everything fails in the same way.

cesar@chicharrasT470:~$ sudo apt install --reinstall virtualbox-dkms
[sudo] password for cesar:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  libllvm11 mpv python3-click python3-colorama python3-pyxattr rtmpdump
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 17 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
E: Internal Error, No file name for virtualbox-dkms:amd64

cesar@chicharrasT470:~$ uname -a
Linux chicharrasT470 5.4.0-59-generic #65-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 10 12:01:51 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I will appreciate any pointers you can provide to help resolve this problem.
Thanks in advance.

Cesar

Re: Broken VirtualBox

ubuntu-users mailing list
Maybe you can install it this way:

sudo apt --purge remove virtualbox-dkms
sudo apt install http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/multiverse/v/virtualbox/virtualbox-dkms_6.1.10-dfsg-1~ubuntu1.20.04.1_amd64.deb

Maybe you can fix the whole issue this way:

sudo apt clean
sudo apt update
sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt install --fix-broken
sudo apt full-upgrade

Re: Broken VirtualBox

Little Girl
Hey there,

Rasec Solerom wrote:

>Hi all...  please excuse the long message, but I want to provide as
>much info as possible... Please I need help to solve this problem
>fast.
>
>I installed some updates this morning and now I can not start any of
>the VMs I have been using without problems.
>This is Ubuntu 20.04.1 and VirtualBox 6.1 installed from the Ubuntu
>repository.
>The error I get is the "Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)" error
>message that suggests reinstalling the virtualbox-dkms package and
>running 'modprobe vboxdrv'.
>Doing that gave me errors and did not work.

This is a pretty old page, but has lots of suggestions for the same
issue, so maybe you'll find something that will work there:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13670176/virtualbox-error-kernel-driver-not-installedrc-1908

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: Broken VirtualBox

Gilles Gravier-2
Cesar,

On 07/01/2021 20:34, Rasec Solerom wrote:
> Hi all...  please excuse the long message, but I want to provide as
> much info as possible... Please I need help to solve this problem fast.
>
> I installed some updates this morning and now I can not start any of
> the VMs I have been using without problems.
> This is Ubuntu 20.04.1 and VirtualBox 6.1 installed from the Ubuntu
> repository.

I've had this happen... I've resorted to not using the Ubuntu version.

I use the official one from the Virtualbox.org web site
(https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads).

First uninstall any existing virtualbox component from the Ubuntu repos.

Then install the official VB repo. The latest today is focal which works
perfectly on 20.04.1. So :

    deb [arch=amd64] https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian
focal contrib

Add the repo signing keys:

    wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O-
| sudo apt-key add -
    wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox.asc -O- |
sudo apt-key add -

It will install the latest 6.1.16 (as of today Jan 8th, 2021). From
there you can install the extensions.

    sudo apt install virtualbox-6.1

It will directly run your existing VMs.

Gilles

Re: Broken VirtualBox

Native.Code

On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 at 17:18, Gilles Gravier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cesar,

On 07/01/2021 20:34, Rasec Solerom wrote:
> Hi all...  please excuse the long message, but I want to provide as
> much info as possible... Please I need help to solve this problem fast.
>
> I installed some updates this morning and now I can not start any of
> the VMs I have been using without problems.
> This is Ubuntu 20.04.1 and VirtualBox 6.1 installed from the Ubuntu
> repository.

I've had this happen... I've resorted to not using the Ubuntu version.

I use the official one from the Virtualbox.org web site
(https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads).

First uninstall any existing virtualbox component from the Ubuntu repos.

Then install the official VB repo. The latest today is focal which works
perfectly on 20.04.1. So :

    deb [arch=amd64] https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian
focal contrib

Add the repo signing keys:

    wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O-
| sudo apt-key add -
    wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox.asc -O- |
sudo apt-key add -

It will install the latest 6.1.16 (as of today Jan 8th, 2021). From
there you can install the extensions.

    sudo apt install virtualbox-6.1

It will directly run your existing VMs.

Gilles

--

This is because you need minimum VirtualBox version 6.1.14 to work with Kernel version 5.8 (6.1.14 was the first version to support kernel 5.8 which was offered by Ubuntu recently). However, the official focal repository still offers version 6.1.10 of VirtualBox as latest.

Either:
1. Instal 6.1.14 or later version of VirtualBox following instructions from their website
2. Boot with 5.4 version of kernel and wait till focal repository is updated to offer VirtualBox 6.1.14 or later.

There is already a bug report out there.

Re: Broken VirtualBox

MR ZenWiz
On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 10:30 PM Native.Code <[hidden email]> wrote:

:

> This is because you need minimum VirtualBox version 6.1.14 to work with Kernel version 5.8 (6.1.14 was the first version to support kernel 5.8 which was offered by Ubuntu recently). However, the official focal repository still offers version 6.1.10 of VirtualBox as latest.

I had this happen once before, but not on Ubuntu's VB.  I always use
the L&G from VB directly.  Problems of this nature tend to be far
fewer and less frequent.

I like that Canonical includes a lot of nice software with the
distros, but a lot of it is way behind the L&G.  The distro's
LibreOffice is up to 7.0.4, but the Focal release is 6.1 or
thereabouts.  Also, the kernel itself tends to be outdated by the time
the distro comes out.  5.11, which has much better AMD support, won't
be out until 22.04 LTS.  Mint has some other tempting contents that
might pry me off Canonical's releases, and Mint's LTS life is longer -
5 years instead of Xubuntu's 3.  (I can't stand the Ubuntu stock GUI,
and Mint supports XFCE4.)

I also don't use VB's PPA - I just go directly to their website and
download the most recent .deb and the external additions.  Works
better for me than the easy/lazy way.

Just a thought or several...

Mark

Re: Broken VirtualBox

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 07.01.2021, 23:17 -0800 schrieb MR ZenWiz:

> I like that Canonical includes a lot of nice software with the
> distros, but a lot of it is way behind the L&G.  The distro's
> LibreOffice is up to 7.0.4, but the Focal release is 6.1 or
> thereabouts.

... and you found one of the reasons snap packages were created 7 years
ago ;)

(weather you like them or not, they solve exactly this problem)

ciao
        oli

Re: Broken VirtualBox

Rasec Solerom

On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 12:30 AM Native.Code <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 at 17:18, Gilles Gravier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Cesar,

On 07/01/2021 20:34, Rasec Solerom wrote:
> Hi all...  please excuse the long message, but I want to provide as
> much info as possible... Please I need help to solve this problem fast.
>
> I installed some updates this morning and now I can not start any of
> the VMs I have been using without problems.
> This is Ubuntu 20.04.1 and VirtualBox 6.1 installed from the Ubuntu
> repository.

I've had this happen... I've resorted to not using the Ubuntu version.

I use the official one from the Virtualbox.org web site
(https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads).

First uninstall any existing virtualbox component from the Ubuntu repos.

Then install the official VB repo. The latest today is focal which works
perfectly on 20.04.1. So :

    deb [arch=amd64] https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian
focal contrib

Add the repo signing keys:

    wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O-
| sudo apt-key add -
    wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox.asc -O- |
sudo apt-key add -

It will install the latest 6.1.16 (as of today Jan 8th, 2021). From
there you can install the extensions.

    sudo apt install virtualbox-6.1

It will directly run your existing VMs.

Gilles

--

This is because you need minimum VirtualBox version 6.1.14 to work with Kernel version 5.8 (6.1.14 was the first version to support kernel 5.8 which was offered by Ubuntu recently). However, the official focal repository still offers version 6.1.10 of VirtualBox as latest.

Either:
1. Instal 6.1.14 or later version of VirtualBox following instructions from their website
2. Boot with 5.4 version of kernel and wait till focal repository is updated to offer VirtualBox 6.1.14 or later.

There is already a bug report out there.

Thanks to Gilles and everyone else that offered help.
I followed Gilles' advice and I have the official version working now.
Regards