Broken grub translation

Игорь Зубарев
Hello, Colin!

Currently the grub translation is broken since 2019-11-25. I know you are working with this bug https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?57298

You told 2020-03-16:

"Should be fixed for the next release:

  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/commit/?id=ac116bd659b295d3b9e116808d3e1d940dc0fd67

Please test if you can."

So my question is the fix ready for including? Because beta already out and grub still untranslated. Will we get the fix before the freeze?

Re: Broken grub translation

Colin Watson-3
On Tue, Apr 07, 2020 at 04:34:06PM +0300, Игорь Зубарев wrote:

>    Currently the grub translation is broken since 2019-11-25. I know you are
>    working with this bug [1]https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?57298
>    You told 2020-03-16:
>
>    "Should be fixed for the next release:
>

>    [2]https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/commit/?id=ac116bd659b295d3b9e116808d3e1d940dc0fd67
>
>    Please test if you can."
>
>    So my question is the fix ready for including? Because beta already out
>    and grub still untranslated. Will we get the fix before the freeze?

What do you mean "ready for including"?  It's already upstream.

If you mean in the Ubuntu packages, I haven't been working on those for
some years ...

--
Colin Watson                                    [[hidden email]]

Re: Broken grub translation

Игорь Зубарев

Yes, but bug still exist and grub translation is broken.
Who can help with this problem? We haven't much time for fixing translation if where are errors etc.
Also untranslated grub is the first thing average user will see. And it can be the first bad impression from OS.

On Tue, Apr 07, 2020 at 05:00:14PM +0300, Игорь Зубарев wrote:
>    Yes, but bug still exist and grub translation is broken.
>    Who can help with this problem? We haven't much time for fixing
>    translation if where are errors etc.

I see that Brian is already CCed and can hopefully help to find somebody
from Foundations to apply this to the Ubuntu package.

--
Colin Watson                                    [[hidden email]]

Re: Broken grub translation

Sebastien Bacher
Hey there,

Le 07/04/2020 à 16:00, Игорь Зубарев a écrit :
> Who can help with this problem? We haven't much time for fixing
> translation if where are errors etc.
> Also untranslated grub is the first thing average user will see. And
> it can be the first bad impression from OS.

I'm having a look now, could you give an example of some strings that
should be translatable and current aren't? Just to be able to confirm a fix

Thanks,
Sebastien Bacher

Re: Broken grub translation

Yuri Chornoivan
середа, 8 квітня 2020 р. 17:35:03 EEST Sebastien Bacher написано:

> Hey there,
>
> Le 07/04/2020 à 16:00, Игорь Зубарев a écrit :
> > Who can help with this problem? We haven't much time for fixing
> > translation if where are errors etc.
> > Also untranslated grub is the first thing average user will see. And
> > it can be the first bad impression from OS.
>
> I'm having a look now, could you give an example of some strings that
> should be translatable and current aren't? Just to be able to confirm a fix
>
> Thanks,
> Sebastien Bacher

Hi,

Those are

"Advanced options for %s"
"%s, with Linux %s"
"%s, with Linux %s (recovery mode)"

Thanks in advance for your work.

Best regards,
Yuri

Re: Broken grub translation

Sebastien Bacher
Hey,

I applied the patch and updated the template on launchpad (to win some
time on a package upload)

Le 08/04/2020 à 16:51, Yuri Chornoivan a écrit :

> Those are
>
> "Advanced options for %s"
> "%s, with Linux %s"
> "%s, with Linux %s (recovery mode)"

Thanks, those strings are correctly translatable now, e.g:

https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/focal/+source/grub2/+pots/grub/fr/1417/+translate

Launchpad had memory of existing translations so hopefully it should be
fine with the next langpack update

Cheers,
Sebastien

Re: Broken grub translation

Игорь Зубарев
Thanks a lot, Sebastien and Colin for great work!

Cheers,
Igor

Le 07/04/2020 à 16:06, Colin Watson a écrit :
> I see that Brian is already CCed and can hopefully help to find somebody
> from Foundations to apply this to the Ubuntu package.

The template is going to be overwrite with a buggy version every time
there is an upload (it just happened and I fixed it), I've submitted a
proper fix to the package
https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/grub/+git/ubuntu/+merge/382057

Hopefully someone from foundations can review/merge it

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

Re: Broken grub translation

Игорь Зубарев
Thanks, Sebastien!

Is it possible to push somebody in foundations to review in order to stop loading buggy version?

Cheers,
Igor

пт, 10 апр. 2020 г. в 11:32, Sebastien Bacher <[hidden email]>:
Hey there,

Le 07/04/2020 à 16:06, Colin Watson a écrit :
> I see that Brian is already CCed and can hopefully help to find somebody
> from Foundations to apply this to the Ubuntu package.

The template is going to be overwrite with a buggy version every time
there is an upload (it just happened and I fixed it), I've submitted a
proper fix to the package
https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/grub/+git/ubuntu/+merge/382057

Hopefully someone from foundations can review/merge it

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

Re: Broken grub translation

Brian Murray-5
It's a holiday weekend for a lot of people but I will make sure that
somebody on the Foundations team reviews it when they get back.

--
Brian Murray

Re: Broken grub translation

Игорь Зубарев
Hello, Colin!

Could you apply this patch?
It is already week passed. Please)

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 11:47:58AM +0300, Игорь Зубарев wrote:
>    Hello, Colin!
>    Could you apply this patch?
>    It is already week passed. Please)

No, I don't look after Ubuntu's GRUB packaging any more.  Also as far as
I can see the patch that Sebastien mentioned has already been uploaded.

Re: Broken grub translation

Игорь Зубарев
Colin,

Maybe I don't understand something, but this bug needs only your review in Launchpad.
There is your name in Reviewer column:

Cheers,
Igor

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 02:40:48PM +0300, Игорь Зубарев wrote:
>    Maybe I don't understand something, but this bug needs only your review in
>    Launchpad.
>    There is your name in Reviewer column:
>    [1]https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/grub/+git/ubuntu/+merge/382057

It's already "Status: Merged".

Re: Broken grub translation

Игорь Зубарев
Sorry for noob question. Status Pending doesn't matter in this case?

Reviewer Review Type Date Requested Status
Colin Watson
2020-04-10 Pending

Cheers,
Igor

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 04:19:39PM +0300, Игорь Зубарев wrote:
>    Sorry for noob question. Status Pending doesn't matter in this case?

No, the pending review makes no difference to anything if the actual
branch has already been merged.

Re: Broken grub translation

Игорь Зубарев
Great, thanks a lot!
Hope this release will be one of the best!