Brother HL-2240D does not connect with Xubuntu 20.04

Brother HL-2240D does not connect with Xubuntu 20.04

MR ZenWiz
My printer is connected via USB and does not contain a wireless
interface AFAICT.

I've done a fair amount of searching on this.  The best response I've
seen is the Brother site at
https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52188?R3ModelID=HL2240D&_ga=2.43995621.1776589231.1601584104-1260712466.1598826875

However, no matter what model number I select, it always comes up with
the same usb URI and shows the right model number, but the test page
never prints.  It gets queued and was "Processing" for as long as 45
minutes before I gave up.

This worked perfectly well for the last 2 years on 18.04, so I'm at a
loss to understand this issue.

I did try hplip's setup program, but it only sees my HP All-In-One,
which is an officejet, not a laser.

I'd like to burn my last toner cartridges before I move on to an HP
laser - they're generally more expensive, but at least HP supports
Linux better than Canon or Brother IMNSHO.

Suggestions welcome.

Mark

Re: Brother HL-2240D does not connect with Xubuntu 20.04

MR ZenWiz
On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 1:43 PM MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My printer is connected via USB and does not contain a wireless
> interface AFAICT.
>
> I've done a fair amount of searching on this.  The best response I've
> seen is the Brother site at
> https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52188?R3ModelID=HL2240D&_ga=2.43995621.1776589231.1601584104-1260712466.1598826875
>
> However, no matter what model number I select, it always comes up with
> the same usb URI and shows the right model number, but the test page
> never prints.  It gets queued and was "Processing" for as long as 45
> minutes before I gave up.
>
> This worked perfectly well for the last 2 years on 18.04, so I'm at a
> loss to understand this issue.

I moved the plug to another USB port and it now works perfectly.

Strange, but happy.

Thanks.

On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 22:46, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My printer is connected via USB and does not contain a wireless
> interface AFAICT.
>
> I've done a fair amount of searching on this.  The best response I've
> seen is the Brother site at
> https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52188?R3ModelID=HL2240D&_ga=2.43995621.1776589231.1601584104-1260712466.1598826875
>
> However, no matter what model number I select, it always comes up with
> the same usb URI and shows the right model number, but the test page
> never prints.  It gets queued and was "Processing" for as long as 45
> minutes before I gave up.
>
> This worked perfectly well for the last 2 years on 18.04, so I'm at a
> loss to understand this issue.
>
> I did try hplip's setup program, but it only sees my HP All-In-One,
> which is an officejet, not a laser.

No, HP's drivers will not help with a Brother.

Have you got Brother's drivers installed?

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=hl2240_us_eu&os=128

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 4:57 AM Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

:
> No, HP's drivers will not help with a Brother.

Interesting - that's how I had it configured for 18.04 and it was
working fine.  It was configured as an HP-2140 IIRC.

> Have you got Brother's drivers installed?
>
> https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=hl2240_us_eu&os=128

Yes.  Now that the machine recognizes the printer as there (it wasn't
showing up on the other USB port), it works great.

Thanks.

Re: Brother HL-2240D does not connect with Xubuntu 20.04

Liam Proven
On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 21:03, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 4:57 AM Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> :
> > No, HP's drivers will not help with a Brother.
> >
> Interesting - that's how I had it configured for 18.04 and it was
> working fine.  It was configured as an HP-2140 IIRC.

*Googles* Er, that seems to be a netbook PC, so probably not.

Generic HP drivers are used for tons of printers, yes -- HP Printer
Control Language (PCL) is a very common de facto standard for laser
printers. But HP's own driver package won't talk to anything except an
actual HP device, I think.

If generic PCL drivers work, then those built into CUPS should be fine.

> Yes.  Now that the machine recognizes the printer as there (it wasn't
> showing up on the other USB port), it works great.
>
> Thanks.

You're welcome.

This is a bit worrying, though. "Unplug it and try it in another port"
is a typical Windows troubleshooting step, because Windows stores
("remembers") the association of a particular device and a particular
port.   AFAIK, Linux doesn't. If it's starting to, that's a bad sign,
IMHO.

I blame systemd. I generally do. I am torn on systemd. It's a Red Hat
thing, and Red Hat's stated position for its distros (RHEL, Fedora
_and_ CentOS) is that they don't officially support dual-booting
except installation alongside a single copy of the current version of
Windows -- and not even really that.

Most other distro vendors are more pragmatic and do work alongside
other distros, other OSes and more complex multiboot scenarios. Fedora
& RHEL, nope. Not at all, go away, we're not listening.

I took this up _in person_ with the relevant developers when I worked
at RH, and got told to go away, we won't fix this.

Lots of people don't like RH's attitude. I am one of them. It is part
of the reason I don't work there any more. Ubuntu is generally far
more accomodating and pragmatic, but as Ubuntu adopts more and more RH
components (GNOME 3, Wayland, systemd, etc.) replacing Ubuntu tech
(Unity, Mir, upstart, etc.) then I fear for the future.

I've been experimenting with systemd-free distros recently -- Devuan
and MX Linux. Next I will be back to swearing at FreeBSD. :-(

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 1:08 PM Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 21:03, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 4:57 AM Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > :
> > > No, HP's drivers will not help with a Brother.
> > >
> > Interesting - that's how I had it configured for 18.04 and it was
> > working fine.  It was configured as an HP-2140 IIRC.
>
> *Googles* Er, that seems to be a netbook PC, so probably not.

This was all on my desktop - not sure what the reference here is...

> Generic HP drivers are used for tons of printers, yes -- HP Printer
> Control Language (PCL) is a very common de facto standard for laser
> printers. But HP's own driver package won't talk to anything except an
> actual HP device, I think.
>
> If generic PCL drivers work, then those built into CUPS should be fine.

I had a note in the file I use to track my configuration, and it said
I was using an HP driver - forgot which one.  I thought that odd
because for 18.04 I installed the Brother printer driver file (which I
also no longer have - foo).

> > Yes.  Now that the machine recognizes the printer as there (it wasn't
> > showing up on the other USB port), it works great.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> You're welcome.
>
> This is a bit worrying, though. "Unplug it and try it in another port"
> is a typical Windows troubleshooting step, because Windows stores
> ("remembers") the association of a particular device and a particular
> port.   AFAIK, Linux doesn't. If it's starting to, that's a bad sign,
> IMHO.

I'm not sure.  My Netgear WiFi USB device kind of gave out entirely -
don't know if it was a hardware issue (Netgear says not since the
system does list the device and Windows recognizes it) or a 20.04
incompatibility.

However, the USB ports I was using ewre ports 0 and 1 on that line,
and I moved the Brother plug to the next line over when it started
working.  I wonder if there was some hardware issue with my M/B.  The
M/B NIC port failed when I moved a few months ago, then began working
again after the Netgear WiFi died.  Is there a connection there?  I
can't see how.

FTR, I used a different, heavier ethernet cable this time.  I was able
to get the older one to work with other machines.  Could be my
hardware is getting tired - it's about 10 years old IIRC.

> I blame systemd. I generally do. I am torn on systemd. It's a Red Hat
> thing, and Red Hat's stated position for its distros (RHEL, Fedora
> _and_ CentOS) is that they don't officially support dual-booting
> except installation alongside a single copy of the current version of
> Windows -- and not even really that.

I'm not fond of systemd either.  I had to use it two jobs back to
manage RHEL 7 systems - what a pain.

Thanks for all the info.  It's always good to keep up on what's what,
and I've been quite lazy lately - not a good practice.

Cheers!

On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 at 06:50, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 1:08 PM Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 21:03, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Interesting - that's how I had it configured for 18.04 and it was
> > > working fine.  It was configured as an HP-2140 IIRC.
> >
> > *Googles* Er, that seems to be a netbook PC, so probably not.
> >
> This was all on my desktop - not sure what the reference here is...

I Googled HP-2140 and I got only results for a netbook, not a printer.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-Mini-2140-Netbook.16323.0.html

> I had a note in the file I use to track my configuration, and it said
> I was using an HP driver - forgot which one.  I thought that odd
> because for 18.04 I installed the Brother printer driver file (which I
> also no longer have - foo).

Why don't you have it? Does it no longer work?

> I'm not sure.  My Netgear WiFi USB device kind of gave out entirely -
> don't know if it was a hardware issue (Netgear says not since the
> system does list the device and Windows recognizes it) or a 20.04
> incompatibility.

Very odd. Can you try with a live USB?

If you have a largish stick lying around, Ventoy is useful for this.
Just drop a bunch of ISO files on it and it makes a multiboot stick.

https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html

> However, the USB ports I was using ewre ports 0 and 1 on that line,
> and I moved the Brother plug to the next line over when it started
> working.  I wonder if there was some hardware issue with my M/B.  The
> M/B NIC port failed when I moved a few months ago, then began working
> again after the Netgear WiFi died.  Is there a connection there?  I
> can't see how.

Very odd. Noisy mains supply?

> FTR, I used a different, heavier ethernet cable this time.  I was able
> to get the older one to work with other machines.  Could be my
> hardware is getting tired - it's about 10 years old IIRC.

It could be some failing capacitors, then.

> I'm not fond of systemd either.  I had to use it two jobs back to
> manage RHEL 7 systems - what a pain.

Well, it's standard in Ubuntu now, too. No mainstream distro does
_not_ default to systemd, and it has provoked a fork of Debian.

> Thanks for all the info.  It's always good to keep up on what's what,
> and I've been quite lazy lately - not a good practice.

I am not sure I am the best source of the latest cutting-edge advice! o_O

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 5:15 AM Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

:
> I Googled HP-2140 and I got only results for a netbook, not a printer.

Oh, right.  The note is meaningless to me now because I don't remember
why it was there.

>>...  I thought that odd
> > because for 18.04 I installed the Brother printer driver file (which I
> > also no longer have - foo).
>
> Why don't you have it? Does it no longer work?

I don't remember what it was called and it's not in my usual places
for keeping such things.

I did run a locate on all .ppd files and grep'd for 2240 and what
shows up is this:

/etc/cups/ppd/HL-2240D-series.ppd
/home/admar/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/spool/drivers/w32x86/3/HL-2240D-series.ppd
/home/admar/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/spool/drivers/win40/0/HL-2240D-series.ppd
/home/admar/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/spool/drivers/x64/3/HL-2240D-series.ppd
/usr/share/cups/model/HL2240D.ppd
/usr/share/ppd/HL2240D.ppd

I don't know if my Wine is up to date (haven't tried it recently), but
that shouldn't matter.

> > I'm not sure.  My Netgear WiFi USB device kind of gave out entirely -
:

> Very odd. Can you try with a live USB?

I did - no response there either.  It shows up in lsusb, but the
system does not pay any attention to it.

My partner's laptop has a Win10 boot on it, and that recognized the
device, but I don't recall if it showed up as a WiFi connection - at
the time I was only checking what Netgear told me - see if Windows
recognizes it (so I could update the firmware, which I also did not).
My focus these days is almost entirely on getting past the problem,
not so much analyzing it in detail for future reference.  I'm slipping
in my seniority...

> If you have a largish stick lying around, Ventoy is useful for this.
> Just drop a bunch of ISO files on it and it makes a multiboot stick.
>
> https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html

Thanks - that may come in handy.  I presume it does not do Windows as
a live boot - is there such a thing?

[switching the USB cable to another port]
> Very odd. Noisy mains supply?

I hope not - the system is on a UPS with a recently replaced battery.

> > FTR, I used a different, heavier ethernet cable this time.  I was able
> > to get the older one to work with other machines.  Could be my
> > hardware is getting tired - it's about 10 years old IIRC.
> It could be some failing capacitors, then.

If they go, I'll upgrade to some powerhouse hardware better than what
I have now - probably a Ryzen high end CPU, 64G or new RAM, new power
supply, maybe new case too.

> > Thanks for all the info.  It's always good to keep up on what's what,
> > and I've been quite lazy lately - not a good practice.
>
> I am not sure I am the best source of the latest cutting-edge advice! o_O

No self-deprecation required - you're far more up-to-date than I am.
My COVID coma took a lot out of me, and it's not all back yet even
after 6+ months of recuperation.  Lousy excuse, but so it is.

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 at 00:47, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh, right.  The note is meaningless to me now because I don't remember
> why it was there.

Typo? 2140 for 2240?

Sounds like inadequate note-taking. Don't feel bad. It's normal!

I used to train people on software. Inadequate notes are almost the norm. I'd show them a complex 15-step process, and they'd write down  4-5 steps. I told them it wasn't enough. They invariably said it was. The only way round this I found was to time our lunch break to then. When they came back after lunch, they found out their short-term memory of the steps was gone, and as I'd told them, their notes of perhaps a quarter of the steps was not enough.

Then some of them started making proper notes.

I think this is one reason many companies want people with degrees. Doing a degree tends to teach people to take proper, detailed notes.

When I do courses now, I take 15-20 pages of notes where my colleagues take 1 or 2. A month later they are amazed and baffled that I can do the task, and praise my super-human memory. 🙄

You need to take much more elaborate notes!

> >>...  I thought that odd
> > > because for 18.04 I installed the Brother printer driver file (which I
> > > also no longer have - foo).
> >
> > Why don't you have it? Does it no longer work?
> >
> I don't remember what it was called and it's not in my usual places
> for keeping such things.

Is it not still out there for download?

> I don't know if my Wine is up to date (haven't tried it recently), but
> that shouldn't matter.

I suspect it won't help.

> > Very odd. Can you try with a live USB?
> >
> I did - no response there either.  It shows up in lsusb, but the
> system does not pay any attention to it.

Drivers? Did you check the drivers control panel/settings page?

> My partner's laptop has a Win10 boot on it, and that recognized the
> device, but I don't recall if it showed up as a WiFi connection - at
> the time I was only checking what Netgear told me - see if Windows
> recognizes it (so I could update the firmware, which I also did not).

Why not?!

> My focus these days is almost entirely on getting past the problem,
> not so much analyzing it in detail for future reference.  I'm slipping
> in my seniority...

Make more notes!

And upgrade all the firmware you can, every time!

I am a 1st time father of a 1YO at 52, under quarantine. I know the problem of not having enough time and attention to spare. I really do.

MAKE MORE NOTES!

> Thanks - that may come in handy.  I presume it does not do Windows as
> a live boot - is there such a thing?

There is no such thing from MS as a live Windows disk, no.

There are 3rd party ones but they are incomplete and failure-prone. I avoid them.

Win10 does have a special recovery environment  but it's hard to get to, doesn't work on all computers, and much of the documented steps don't work. Linux knowledge helps.

> If they go, I'll upgrade to some powerhouse hardware better than what
> I have now - probably a Ryzen high end CPU, 64G or new RAM, new power
> supply, maybe new case too.

Well, as you wish.

Personally, these days, I use older and older kit. It's cheap and it's simpler -- no UEFI and other pain points. Older laptops invariably have better keyboards, too -- modern ones are rubbish.

> No self-deprecation required - you're far more up-to-date than I am.
> My COVID coma took a lot out of me, and it's not all back yet even
> after 6+ months of recuperation.  Lousy excuse, but so it is.

Oh dear. Sorry to hear that. I didn't know you'd had it.

I live in the country with the highest infection rates in the EU, and as an obese middle-aged asthmatic, I'm quietly terrified.

This too doesn't help the concentration.

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]