Brother laser printer/scanner on Ethernet

Brother laser printer/scanner on Ethernet

David Fletcher-5
Hi folks,

My situation:-
A friend wants to buy a new colour printer/scanner. I've been using a
Brother HL-3040CN for several years that I use on Ethernet via CUPS on
my server which works perfectly but using the scanner on a
multifunction device on Ethernet is outside my experience. I do have an
Epson Perfection 2450 Photo that's plugged into my server for use over
the network. I just have to configure sane on the desk/laptop to talk
to sane on the server instead of a local device on USB.

I'm recommending Ethernet connection because she will want to use the
device with both Windows and Linux computers, plus the web server on
the printer gives all the information for cartridge status etc.

My question:-
The Brother model she is looking at is the DCP-L3550CDW. Unfortunately
it is out of stock everywhere at the moment hopefully because everybody
is home working. How should I expect the standard xsane, gscan2pdf etc,
scanner software to be used with such a device? I'm looking at the
Brother web site that says it has a driver installer that includes both
the CUPS and scanner drivers. It's probably the same clever script that
I found to get my laser working again with a new 64 bit server board.
Will the scanner be accessed by telling sane to go to an IP address or
will there be some other cleverness going on?

I've ended up being the locally available computer consultant friend,
so, thanks to anybody who can give me any enlightenment on this.

Dave

Re: Brother laser printer/scanner on Ethernet

Juan R. de Silva
On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 17:31:23 +0000, David Fletcher wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> My situation:-
> A friend wants to buy a new colour printer/scanner. I've been using a
> Brother HL-3040CN for several years that I use on Ethernet via CUPS on
> my server which works perfectly but using the scanner on a multifunction
> device on Ethernet is outside my experience. I do have an Epson
> Perfection 2450 Photo that's plugged into my server for use over the
> network. I just have to configure sane on the desk/laptop to talk to
> sane on the server instead of a local device on USB.
>
> I'm recommending Ethernet connection because she will want to use the
> device with both Windows and Linux computers, plus the web server on the
> printer gives all the information for cartridge status etc.
>
> My question:-
> The Brother model she is looking at is the DCP-L3550CDW. Unfortunately
> it is out of stock everywhere at the moment hopefully because everybody
> is home working. How should I expect the standard xsane, gscan2pdf etc,
> scanner software to be used with such a device? I'm looking at the
> Brother web site that says it has a driver installer that includes both
> the CUPS and scanner drivers. It's probably the same clever script that
> I found to get my laser working again with a new 64 bit server board.
> Will the scanner be accessed by telling sane to go to an IP address or
> will there be some other cleverness going on?
>
> I've ended up being the locally available computer consultant friend,
> so, thanks to anybody who can give me any enlightenment on this.
>
> Dave

I'm using Brother AIO of different model currently and I've used 2 other
models in last several years. Brother drivers are very good and all do
the same route. The installer creates in /opt 'brother' folder tree. /opt/
brother/scanner/brscan4/brsanenetdevice4.cfg file will contain IP address
of the scanner, which you are to supply during installation. Xsane picks
it up from there. Everything works dandy, no miracles involved. :-)

Re: Brother laser printer/scanner on Ethernet

Gene Heskett-2
On Wednesday 11 November 2020 12:31:23 David Fletcher wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> My situation:-
> A friend wants to buy a new colour printer/scanner. I've been using a
> Brother HL-3040CN for several years that I use on Ethernet via CUPS on
> my server which works perfectly but using the scanner on a
> multifunction device on Ethernet is outside my experience. I do have
> an Epson Perfection 2450 Photo that's plugged into my server for use
> over the network. I just have to configure sane on the desk/laptop to
> talk to sane on the server instead of a local device on USB.
>
> I'm recommending Ethernet connection because she will want to use the
> device with both Windows and Linux computers, plus the web server on
> the printer gives all the information for cartridge status etc.
>
> My question:-
> The Brother model she is looking at is the DCP-L3550CDW. Unfortunately
> it is out of stock everywhere at the moment hopefully because
> everybody is home working. How should I expect the standard xsane,
> gscan2pdf etc, scanner software to be used with such a device? I'm
> looking at the Brother web site that says it has a driver installer
> that includes both the CUPS and scanner drivers. It's probably the
> same clever script that I found to get my laser working again with a
> new 64 bit server board. Will the scanner be accessed by telling sane
> to go to an IP address or will there be some other cleverness going
> on?
>
> I've ended up being the locally available computer consultant friend,
> so, thanks to anybody who can give me any enlightenment on this.
>
> Dave

The one small gotcha I noticed when running my MFP-J6920DW (an ink
squirter that's slower than her laser but it does up to tabloid on the
paper or the glass with an ADF for reasonable sized stuff) on ethernet
was the Brother supplied driver sent a bad tcp checksum the first 6
times it tried to wake it up, after that it Just Worked, but not as fast
by a noticeable margin as when it was being addressed over the usb
cable. So I've been using it on usb since. If she doesn't mind the 7
seconds ethernet takes to send a proper tcp checksum to wake it up, it
should then work, both for cups and for xsane. The checksum error was
found by wireshark.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: Brother laser printer/scanner on Ethernet

Brian-277
On Wed 11 Nov 2020 at 17:31:23 +0000, David Fletcher wrote:

> My question:-
> The Brother model she is looking at is the DCP-L3550CDW. Unfortunately
> it is out of stock everywhere at the moment hopefully because everybody
> is home working. How should I expect the standard xsane, gscan2pdf etc,
> scanner software to be used with such a device? I'm looking at the
> Brother web site that says it has a driver installer that includes both
> the CUPS and scanner drivers. It's probably the same clever script that
> I found to get my laser working again with a new 64 bit server board.
> Will the scanner be accessed by telling sane to go to an IP address or
> will there be some other cleverness going on?

After nearly three years of Ubuntu providing driverless printing,
the driverless printing and scanning approach is still neglected.
It's almost as though it doesn't exist or modern developments in
the printing system are seen as a step too far.

https://wiki.debian.org/SaneOverNetwork
https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting

Users of modern printers really do love their vendor drivers :).

--
Brian.

Re: Brother laser printer/scanner on Ethernet

Peter Flynn
On 11/11/2020 17:31, David Fletcher wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> My situation:-
> A friend wants to buy a new colour printer/scanner. I've been using a
> Brother HL-3040CN for several years that I use on Ethernet via CUPS on
> my server which works perfectly but using the scanner on a
> multifunction device on Ethernet is outside my experience.

XSane found mine (HP) immediately and has given no problems.

> I'm recommending Ethernet connection because she will want to use the
> device with both Windows and Linux computers, plus the web server on
> the printer gives all the information for cartridge status etc.

Good call.

> The Brother model she is looking at is the DCP-L3550CDW. Unfortunately
> it is out of stock everywhere at the moment hopefully because everybody
> is home working. How should I expect the standard xsane, gscan2pdf etc,
> scanner software to be used with such a device?

I had to do a lot of fiddling to get my mother's Brother multifunction
scanner/printer to work with my laptop (and her desktop) when I visited
last year, but it did eventually work. There are Brother downloads
called brscan4 and brscan-skey (debs) which you need, which provide a
command brsaneconfig4 which makes it all work.

> Will the scanner be accessed by telling sane to go to an IP address or
> will there be some other cleverness going on?

Basically, yes. You do need to know how to find out what IP address the
DHCP server has assigned to the device.

The commands I used were:

$ sudo dpkg -i --force-all brscan4-0.4.2-1.amd64.deb
brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb
$ nmap -sT 192.168.1.0/24 | awk '/report/ {ip=$6} /printer/ {print $1,ip}'
(change that IP address to match your network)
$ brsaneconfig4 -a name=Brother model=<model number> ip=<result of nmap>
$ brsaneconfig4 -q | grep Brother

Peter

Re: Brother laser printer/scanner on Ethernet

David Fletcher-5
Many thanks for all of the feedback. One of the UK retail stores sent
email to my friend this morning, saying that the Brother DCP-L3550CDW is
now back in stock so she has ordered one.

My first ever printer was the Brother M-1109, dot matrix impact with the
typewriter style ink ribbon, parallel port, used with my BBC model B.
Can't remember how I disposed of it but it never gave me any problems
apart from the ribbon drying out!

Regards,

Dave F

Re: Brother laser printer/scanner on Ethernet

David Fletcher-5
Again, thanks to everyone for your advice and encouragement.

My friend managed to buy a Brother DCP-L3550CDW. Needed me for starters
just to get it up the stairs! It's a heavy beast. I plugged it into the
Ethernet, set it with a fixed IP address. Then got the new version of
the Brother installer script for Linux which worked like a charm.
Printer and scanner both working nicely so she's really pleased. Now
she just needs to leave it alone until the ink in the old Canon is used
up.

Dave