Buildd's and pbuilder provide differing results

Buildd's and pbuilder provide differing results

Charlie Smotherman
I recently requested a sync of rlpr from debian to correct a FTBFS.

The package however FTBFS on the official ubuntu buildd's.
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rlpr/2.05-4/+build/1288660/+files/buildlog_ubuntu-karmic-i386.rlpr_2.05-4_FAILEDTOBUILD.txt.gz
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rlpr/2.05-4/+build/1288658/+files/buildlog_ubuntu-karmic-amd64.rlpr_2.05-4_FAILEDTOBUILD.txt.gz
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rlpr/2.05-4/+build/1288663/+files/buildlog_ubuntu-karmic-powerpc.rlpr_2.05-4_FAILEDTOBUILD.txt.gz
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rlpr/2.05-4/+build/1288659/+files/buildlog_ubuntu-karmic-armel.rlpr_2.05-4_FAILEDTOBUILD.txt.gz

Prior to asking for this sync I built rlpr on my local machine in an up
to date karmic pbuilder in which the build completed successfully. (see
attachment for local pbuilder build log)

I also built rlpr in my ppa in which it built successfully.
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/33558924/buildlog_ubuntu-karmic-i386.rlpr_2.05-4~cjsmoppa_FULLYBUILT.txt.gz
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/33559460/buildlog_ubuntu-karmic-lpia.rlpr_2.05-4~cjsmoppa_FULLYBUILT.txt.gz
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/33555774/buildlog_ubuntu-karmic-amd64.rlpr_2.05-4~cjsmoppa_FULLYBUILT.txt.gz

How is one to know if a package will build successfully if the ubuntu
buildd's, ppa builders, and pbuilder provide differing results?

Why is rlpr building in my ppa and local machine and not on the official
ubuntu buildd's? Yes I did a pbuilder update prior to building rlpr.
IMHO rlpr *should* have failed to build in my pbuilder and ppa builds
prior to making it to the buildd's.

What is different on ubuntu buildd's that is not included in pbuilder?

How is one to setup a local build system that mimics the ubuntu
buildd's?  And yes I used --debootstrapopts --variant=buildd when
setting up my pbuilder.

Is this a bug in launchpad, pbuilder, rlpr, or me? :)

Charlie Smotherman
(porthose)

rlpr_buildlog (39K) Download Attachment

Re: Buildd's and pbuilder provide differing results

Dennis Kaarsemaker
On ma, 2009-10-12 at 17:33 -0500, Charlie Smotherman wrote:

> What is different on ubuntu buildd's that is not included in pbuilder?

- No internet connection
- Always run pkgstriptranslations

--
Dennis K.

The universe tends towards maximum irony. Don't push it.

Re: Buildd's and pbuilder provide differing results

Loïc Minier-17
On Mon, Oct 12, 2009, Charlie Smotherman wrote:
> The package however FTBFS on the official ubuntu buildd's.
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rlpr/2.05-4/+build/1288660/+files/buildlog_ubuntu-karmic-i386.rlpr_2.05-4_FAILEDTOBUILD.txt.gz

 It fails with:
dh_md5sums
dh_builddeb
pkgstriptranslations: processing control file: ./debian/rlpr/DEBIAN/control, package rlpr, directory ./debian/rlpr
pkgstriptranslations: rlpr does not contain translations, skipping
pkgstriptranslations: The following PO/POT files are empty. This is known to
cause trouble in the translation importer and generally indicates a package
bug:

./po/rlpr.pot
dh_builddeb: dpkg-deb returned exit code 1

> How is one to know if a package will build successfully if the ubuntu
> buildd's, ppa builders, and pbuilder provide differing results?

 The pkgstriptranslations system is only needed on Ubuntu buildds; you
 can install the package in your development environment if you want to
 reproduce the failure.  You might have to enable stripping in an /etc
 config file.  Look at the files of the pkgbinarymangler package to
 get started.

> How is one to setup a local build system that mimics the ubuntu
> buildd's?  And yes I used --debootstrapopts --variant=buildd when
> setting up my pbuilder.

 --extrapackages pkgbinarymangler

 You might also want to check the pkg-create-dbgsym package which is
 also only on the Ubuntu buildds.

--
Loïc Minier

Re: Buildd's and pbuilder provide differing results

Luca Falavigna-3
Il giorno Mon, 12 Oct 2009 17:33:51 -0500
Charlie Smotherman <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> How is one to setup a local build system that mimics the ubuntu
> buildd's?  And yes I used --debootstrapopts --variant=buildd when
> setting up my pbuilder.

Try installing pkgbinarymangler in your pbuilder.

  .''`.
 :  :' :   Luca Falavigna <[hidden email]>
 `.  `'
   `-

Re: Buildd's and pbuilder provide differing results

James Westby-2
On Mon Oct 12 23:33:51 +0100 2009 Charlie Smotherman wrote:
> I recently requested a sync of rlpr from debian to correct a FTBFS.
>
> The package however FTBFS on the official ubuntu buildd's.
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rlpr/2.05-4/+build/1288660/+files/buildlog_
> ubuntu-karmic-i386.rlpr_2.05-4_FAILEDTOBUILD.txt.gz

This is due to some extra checks/operations that are performed on the buildds.
These handle various things, such as translations here.

You can enable these checks in your pbuilder by installing the package
pkgbinarymangler in your pbuilder chroots.

I'm not a great fan of having this special behaviour there, but it does have
some nice properties, such as not having to cary deltas purely for
extracting translations.

Thanks,

James

Re: Buildd's and pbuilder provide differing results

Mackenzie Morgan-3
On Monday 12 October 2009 7:13:10 pm James Westby wrote:

> On Mon Oct 12 23:33:51 +0100 2009 Charlie Smotherman wrote:
> > I recently requested a sync of rlpr from debian to correct a FTBFS.
> >
> > The package however FTBFS on the official ubuntu buildd's.
> > https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rlpr/2.05-4/+build/1288660/+files/bu
> >ildlog_ ubuntu-karmic-i386.rlpr_2.05-4_FAILEDTOBUILD.txt.gz
>
> This is due to some extra checks/operations that are performed on the
>  buildds. These handle various things, such as translations here.
>
> You can enable these checks in your pbuilder by installing the package
> pkgbinarymangler in your pbuilder chroots.
>
> I'm not a great fan of having this special behaviour there, but it does
>  have some nice properties, such as not having to cary deltas purely for
>  extracting translations.

Perhaps this means pbuilders should by default include that package?

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo

Re: Buildd's and pbuilder provide differing results

Chow Loong Jin
On Tuesday 13,October,2009 06:44 AM, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
> On ma, 2009-10-12 at 17:33 -0500, Charlie Smotherman wrote:
>
>> What is different on ubuntu buildd's that is not included in pbuilder?
>
> - No internet connection
> - Always run pkgstriptranslations

I don't think pkgstriptranslations is always run. It's just run for packages in
main (and restricted, maybe?). Packages in universe keep their translations.

--
Kind regards,
Chow Loong Jin

Re: Buildd's and pbuilder provide differing results

Martin Pitt-4
Chow Loong Jin [2009-10-13 15:00 +0800]:
> I don't think pkgstriptranslations is always run. It's just run for packages in
> main (and restricted, maybe?). Packages in universe keep their translations.

It's run for all packages to copy the translations into a tarball for
Launchpad import. But it only strips the translations for main
packages indeed.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                        | http://www.piware.de