CD/DVD-RW drives and DMA.

George Farris-3
I had a new user ask me the other day what the message, "Your computer
may be too slow to use the burner", meant and what could be done.

I went through the procedure of enabling DMA on the writer.  I'm
wondering if in Dapper we could get a different message.  Something
along these lines:

-------  Dialog box  ----------

Your CD/DVD burner system is too slow, possibly DMA is not enabled on
your burner,  would you like to enable it and try again?

<Yes>  <No>
-------------------------------

This message would at least make more sense and give the new user a way
to deal with the problem.

--
George Farris

Re: CD/DVD-RW drives and DMA.

John Nilsson
On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 12:22 -0800, George Farris wrote:

> -------  Dialog box  ----------
>
> Your CD/DVD burner system is too slow, possibly DMA is not enabled on
> your burner,  would you like to enable it and try again?
>
> <Yes>  <No>
> -------------------------------
>
> This message would at least make more sense and give the new user a way
> to deal with the problem.

I don't agree that the word DMA necessarily makes more sense to a user.

Could the word "DMA" be a hyperlink? I suggest to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Memory_Access.

Regards,
John Nilsson

Re: CD/DVD-RW drives and DMA.

HC Brugmans
John Nilsson wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 12:22 -0800, George Farris wrote:
>
>>-------  Dialog box  ----------
>>
>>Your CD/DVD burner system is too slow, possibly DMA is not enabled on
>>your burner,  would you like to enable it and try again?
>>
>><Yes>  <No>
>>-------------------------------
>>
>>This message would at least make more sense and give the new user a way
>>to deal with the problem.
>

> I don't agree that the word DMA necessarily makes more sense to a user.
>
> Could the word "DMA" be a hyperlink? I suggest to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Memory_Access.
>
> Regards,
> John Nilsson

"..not optimally configured for cd/dvd burning. Would.."

Even ubuntu still suffers way too much from technical slang.

Re: CD/DVD-RW drives and DMA.

John Nilsson
On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 23:41 +0100, HC Brugmans wrote:

> John Nilsson wrote:
> > Could the word "DMA" be a hyperlink? I suggest to
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Memory_Access.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Nilsson
> >

> "..not optimally configured for cd/dvd burning. Would.."
>
> Even ubuntu still suffers way too much from technical slang.

Who exactly is the user that Ubuntu should be optimized for?

The people I've converted to Ubuntu (or Linux in general) all enjoy the
experience of learning technical stuff. In fact it's one of the reasons
to convert. So I don't think complete technofobia is the best solution
for Ubuntu.

Regards,
John

Re: CD/DVD-RW drives and DMA.

HC Brugmans
John Nilsson wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 23:41 +0100, HC Brugmans wrote:
>
>>John Nilsson wrote:
>>
>>>Could the word "DMA" be a hyperlink? I suggest to
>>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Memory_Access.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>John Nilsson
>>>

>>"..not optimally configured for cd/dvd burning. Would.."
>>
>>Even ubuntu still suffers way too much from technical slang.
>

> Who exactly is the user that Ubuntu should be optimized for?
>
> The people I've converted to Ubuntu (or Linux in general) all enjoy the
> experience of learning technical stuff. In fact it's one of the reasons
> to convert. So I don't think complete technofobia is the best solution
> for Ubuntu.
>
> Regards,
> John

Sure, we shouldn't go out of our way to make things untechnical.
Yet, if it is perfectly understandable to describe something in common
language, why not do it?

There is a line between simplification and oversimplification, and that
line is rather thin.
But, let's face it, our computers can throw far more information at us
than we can adequatly handle. Messages should be concise, to the point,
and tell us how to fix what caused it in the first place. The software
knows something is wrong, so make it tell me how to fix it.
Anything else is a waste of time.

The problem here is not DMA. It's cd-burning not going good or fast
enough. The solution is to reconfigure the system in such a way that it
works better.

-Hidde

Re: CD/DVD-RW drives and DMA.

Tristan Wibberley
George Farris wrote:

> I had a new user ask me the other day what the message, "Your computer
> may be too slow to use the burner", meant and what could be done.
>
> I went through the procedure of enabling DMA on the writer.  I'm
> wondering if in Dapper we could get a different message.  Something
> along these lines:
>
> -------  Dialog box  ----------
>
> Your CD/DVD burner system is too slow, possibly DMA is not enabled on
> your burner,  would you like to enable it and try again?
>
> <Yes>  <No>
> -------------------------------
>
> This message would at least make more sense and give the new user a way
> to deal with the problem.

If it is safe to enable DMA on a given drive, shouldn't it be enabled by
default? If it is not enabled, the computer shouldn't be offering to
enable it for a user that may not know what the hell is going on as it
may not be safe to do so.

Just my tuppence

--
Tristan Wibberley

Re: CD/DVD-RW drives and DMA.

Matt Zimmerman-2
On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 12:22:00PM -0800, George Farris wrote:
> I had a new user ask me the other day what the message, "Your computer
> may be too slow to use the burner", meant and what could be done.
>
> I went through the procedure of enabling DMA on the writer.  I'm
> wondering if in Dapper we could get a different message.  Something
> along these lines:

In Dapper, our goal is to automagically enable DMA in the configurations
where it works properly, so that no manual fiddling is necessary at all.

--
 - mdz

Re: CD/DVD-RW drives and DMA.

Carlos Ribeiro
On 11/19/05, Matt Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 12:22:00PM -0800, George Farris wrote:
> I had a new user ask me the other day what the message, "Your computer
> may be too slow to use the burner", meant and what could be done.
>
> I went through the procedure of enabling DMA on the writer.  I'm
> wondering if in Dapper we could get a different message.  Something
> along these lines:

In Dapper, our goal is to automagically enable DMA in the configurations
where it works properly, so that no manual fiddling is necessary at all.

(my first post here, I hope the tone is right...)

Great, it's a definitive solution... but still does not invalidate the point about the warning message in the general sense. If for some reason DMA is misconfigured (either because the auto detection failed, or because the user somehow turned it off), the error message would still be cryptic... for no good reason.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos

Re: CD/DVD-RW drives and DMA.

Matt Zimmerman-2
On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 06:20:15PM -0200, Carlos Ribeiro wrote:

> On 11/19/05, Matt Zimmerman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 12:22:00PM -0800, George Farris wrote:
> > > I had a new user ask me the other day what the message, "Your computer
> > > may be too slow to use the burner", meant and what could be done.
> > >
> > > I went through the procedure of enabling DMA on the writer. I'm
> > > wondering if in Dapper we could get a different message. Something
> > > along these lines:
> >
> > In Dapper, our goal is to automagically enable DMA in the configurations
> > where it works properly, so that no manual fiddling is necessary at all.
>

> (my first post here, I hope the tone is right...)
>
> Great, it's a definitive solution... but still does not invalidate the point
> about the warning message in the general sense. If for some reason DMA is
> misconfigured (either because the auto detection failed, or because the user
> somehow turned it off), the error message would still be cryptic... for no
> good reason.

Sure, feel free to pursue that.  I'm just pointing out that this dialog will
become a lot less visible soon.

--
 - mdz