CONFIG_NF_CT_ACCT is being deprecated

Tim Gardner-2
Scott,

Can you review my patch against module-init-tools in
http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/595971 at
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/+source/linux/+bug/595971/comments/2
?

I'm a bit confused about you're maintaining this package. There is a
Vcs-Bzr in the Lucid version, but no mention exists in the Maverick package.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner [hidden email]

Re: CONFIG_NF_CT_ACCT is being deprecated

Scott James Remnant-2
On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 13:52 -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:

> Can you review my patch against module-init-tools in
> http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/595971 at
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/+source/linux/+bug/595971/comments/2
> ?

NAK.

Module defaults should be changed by patching the kernel where they are
defined.  Otherwise we end up with problems in future where module or
option names change in the kernel without being noticed, and the
corresponding userspace config becomes out of sync.

I spent too long cleaning these up in recent releases for you to begin
introducing them again ;-)

> I'm a bit confused about you're maintaining this package. There is a
> Vcs-Bzr in the Lucid version, but no mention exists in the Maverick package.

bzr branch lp:ubuntu/module-init-tools

This is the new standard packaging approach, and doesn't require Vcs-Bzr
(if you'd just grabbed the source, patched and uploaded, it would have
resulted in a commit on that branch -- or you can checkout and do it
properly)

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant

On 06/28/2010 11:03 AM, Scott James Remnant wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 13:52 -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:
>
>> Can you review my patch against module-init-tools in
>> http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/595971 at
>> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/+source/linux/+bug/595971/comments/2
>> ?
>>
> NAK.
>
> Module defaults should be changed by patching the kernel where they are
> defined.  Otherwise we end up with problems in future where module or
> option names change in the kernel without being noticed, and the
> corresponding userspace config becomes out of sync.
>
> I spent too long cleaning these up in recent releases for you to begin
> introducing them again ;-)

Point taken.

>> I'm a bit confused about you're maintaining this package. There is a
>> Vcs-Bzr in the Lucid version, but no mention exists in the Maverick package.
>>
> bzr branch lp:ubuntu/module-init-tools
>
> This is the new standard packaging approach, and doesn't require Vcs-Bzr
> (if you'd just grabbed the source, patched and uploaded, it would have
> resulted in a commit on that branch -- or you can checkout and do it
> properly)
>
> Scott

Its a moot point. The xt_connbytes filter is the only filter that
depends on CT accounting, so I wrote an xt_connbytes patch that forces
it to be enabled at runtime. Its all been accepted by upstream and will
appear in 2.6.36.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner [hidden email]