CUbuntu

Victor Polukcht
Hi all.

May be i'm asking an offtopic question, but can anybody suggest if there is a group developing CorporateUbuntu Tools? A kind of ActiveDirectory analog. Tool that allows to centalise the computer management and limit user rights through user-policy.

--
Victor M. Polukcht

Re: CUbuntu

ross-19

Hi

Impi Linux an Ubuntu derivative also owned by Mark Shuttleworth is currently developing such tools. Let me know if you need more info.

Kind Regards
Ross Addis
Impi Linux

Re: CUbuntu

Dave Kempe
There was a discussion and specification on ubuntu-server regarding such
an idea. It might be best to take that there. Check the archives for the
people involved.

dave

Victor Polukcht wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> May be i'm asking an offtopic question, but can anybody suggest if there is
> a group developing CorporateUbuntu Tools? A kind of ActiveDirectory analog.
> Tool that allows to centalise the computer management and limit user rights
> through user-policy.

Re: CUbuntu

Ivan Krstić-3
dave kempe wrote:
> There was a discussion and specification on ubuntu-server regarding such
> an idea. It might be best to take that there. Check the archives for the
> people involved.

This was the Ubuntu "express server" idea, which does not fully address
what Corporate Ubuntu Tools, as proposed, would. The express server idea
allowed for easy installation of themed servers (mail server, LDAP
server, etc), and we're actually addressing that right now via the
revive-tasksel spec. What Victor seems to want are actual desktop tools
and applets.

--
Ivan Krstic <[hidden email]> | GPG: 0x147C722D

Re: CUbuntu

Victor Polukcht
Yes. I'm talking about some software that will allow me to create linux-based local networks with central desktop management.
Each boot computer gets policy from some server and apply it.

For example i should be allowed to restrict wallpaper change, or mounting flash drives. And so on.

Bugzilla from kenny@duffus.org
On Wednesday 21 June 2006 12:12, Victor Polukcht wrote:
> Yes. I'm talking about some software that will allow me to create
> linux-based local networks with central desktop management.
> Each boot computer gets policy from some server and apply it.
>
> For example i should be allowed to restrict wallpaper change, or mounting
> flash drives. And so on.

you can do a lot of that in KDE with kiosktool
(http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kiosktool/), or rather you can if you enable
the root account see
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/kiosktool/+bug/6306 (not
intended to be a moan about this bug)

of course the config files generated by kiosktool can just be copied to the
new machines you don't actually need to run it on each if you don't want to

--

        Kenny