Call for phone translations

David Planella-4
Hi Translators,

This cycle, while we are translating the desktop as usual, the phone has been the major focus of development. Since not all of the phone packages are in the Ubuntu translations location in Launchpad we generally use, I thought I'd send a summary of the places where the phone UI can be translated.

While there are still some parts of the infrastructure that are missing (some shared components with the desktop will not ship translations without language packs, input methods, the switch to change language is being worked on), this is a great opportunity to have a phone with your favourite OS also shipped with your favourite language :)

So here's a call for translations for Ubuntu on phones! If you could forward this call to all of your teams to get a localized experience as complete as possible for 13.10, that'd be awesome.

For those of you with a device to test, you can change the UI language on a phone flashed with cdimage-touch by following these instructions [1].

# Core apps

https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu-phone-coreapps

Note music-app and ubuntu-rssreader-app were recently added and need some translation love.

# System apps

https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu-touch-preview

I need to check if the translation templates are up to date for all of those apps. See this bug to track the status [2].

# Unity 8

https://translations.launchpad.net/unity8

# Indicators
TBD - I need to investigate where translations need to be enabled and how they are displayed/shipped [2]

Thanks and happy translating!

Cheers,
David.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/ReleaseNotes#Language
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity8/+bug/1232374
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-location/+bug/1223635

Re: Call for phone translations

Iñigo Varela-2
YOU HAVE MY SWORD !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxPGzj2L3n0

--
Iñigo Varela www.softastur.org
[hidden email]

Re: Call for phone translations

Yaron Shahrabani
LOL, awesome!

Dave, I keep getting an error for the Music-App, this doesn't happen for other languages I tried (such as Arabic), can you please check what could be the problem so I Can finish the translation?

Yaron Shahrabani
<Hebrew translator>

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 12:06 PM, ivarela <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM, ivarela <[hidden email]> wrote:

That's the most epic reply I've ever had to a call for translations. Keep up the awesome work Iñigo and Asturian team!

Cheers,
David.

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Yaron Shahrabani <[hidden email]> wrote:
LOL, awesome!

Dave, I keep getting an error for the Music-App, this doesn't happen for other languages I tried (such as Arabic), can you please check what could be the problem so I Can finish the translation?

Hi Yaron,

Happy to help, but what's the actual error you're getting? Does the app work for you in Hebrew when you launch it on the desktop?

Cheers,
David.

[...]

I meant the Launchpad translation system doesn't work for Music-App, sorry for the mess…

Yaron Shahrabani
<Hebrew translator>

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Yaron Shahrabani <[hidden email]> wrote:
I meant the Launchpad translation system doesn't work for Music-App, sorry for the mess…

Hi Yaron,

I still don't get it without more details. What are you trying to do? What is exactly not working? Do you get any kind of error?
[...]

Launchpad had some issues, I still get frequent errors but they disappear as I refresh.

Ubuntu Touch is completely translated to Hebrew, how can I test that the Right-To-Left mechanism is working properly?

Yaron Shahrabani
<Hebrew translator>

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 1:59 PM, David Planella <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sebastien Bacher
Le 28/09/2013 09:31, David Planella a écrit :
> So here's a call for translations for Ubuntu on phones! If you could
> forward this call to all of your teams to get a localized experience
> as complete as possible for 13.10, that'd be awesome.

Hey David,

I might have overlooked something, but it seems that
ubuntu-system-settings was not in your list ... so I'm going to make
some self-advertisement for our component ;-)

If you want to translate the phone system settings as well:
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu-system-settings/trunk/+translations

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

Re: Call for phone translations

Yaron Shahrabani
It's not i18n because in Hebrew existing could have either a feminine or a masculine form, I need a complete word or at least a hint on what this message is for.

Kind regards,

Yaron Shahrabani
<Hebrew translator>

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Sebastien Bacher <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 28/09/2013 09:31, David Planella a écrit :

So here's a call for translations for Ubuntu on phones! If you could forward this call to all of your teams to get a localized experience as complete as possible for 13.10, that'd be awesome.

Hey David,

I might have overlooked something, but it seems that ubuntu-system-settings was not in your list ... so I'm going to make some self-advertisement for our component ;-)

If you want to translate the phone system settings as well:
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu-system-settings/trunk/+translations

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

Re: Call for phone translations

Sebastien Bacher-4
Le 30/09/2013 16:42, Yaron Shahrabani a écrit :
> It's not i18n because in Hebrew existing could have either a feminine
> or a masculine form, I need a complete word or at least a hint on what
> this message is for.

Hey,

Thanks, could you open a bug about that:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-system-settings/+filebug

Those are fallback cases and should never appear on screen, we might
want to simply not mark them up for translation

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

Re: Call for phone translations

Michael Bauer
I'm a bit confused myself - is there a complete list of all the
Touch/Phone modules somewhere?

Michael

30/09/2013 15:43, sgrìobh [hidden email]:

> Hey David,
>
> I might have overlooked something, but it seems that
> ubuntu-system-settings was not in your list ... so I'm going to make
> some self-advertisement for our component;-)
>
> If you want to translate the phone system settings as well:
> https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu-system-settings/trunk/+translations
>
> Cheers,
> Sebastien Bacher

Re: Call for phone translations

Yaron Shahrabani
Hey guys!
Yet Hebrew is nearly completed, I just need these bugs fixed in order to complete the translation.

I would also like your help with testing the RTL interface and see that the object are mirrored correctly.

Kind regards,

Yaron Shahrabani
<Hebrew translator>

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Sebastien Bacher <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 30/09/2013 16:42, Yaron Shahrabani a écrit :

It's not i18n because in Hebrew existing could have either a feminine or a masculine form, I need a complete word or at least a hint on what this message is for.

Hey,

Thanks, could you open a bug about that:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-system-settings/+filebug

Those are fallback cases and should never appear on screen, we might want to simply not mark them up for translation

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

Re: Call for phone translations

Yuri Chornoivan
написане Mon, 30 Sep 2013 17:53:25 +0300, Michael Bauer
<[hidden email]>:

> I'm a bit confused myself - is there a complete list of all the
> Touch/Phone modules somewhere?
>
> Michael

No. And no notification system for translation updates. So it's "Let's go"
-" You have my axe" thing now. ;)

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Sebastien Bacher <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 28/09/2013 09:31, David Planella a écrit :

So here's a call for translations for Ubuntu on phones! If you could forward this call to all of your teams to get a localized experience as complete as possible for 13.10, that'd be awesome.

Hey David,

I might have overlooked something, but it seems that ubuntu-system-settings was not in your list ... so I'm going to make some self-advertisement for our component ;-)

If you want to translate the phone system settings as well:
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu-system-settings/trunk/+translations

Argh, sorry, I was doing several things at the same time and forgot to add it to the list, thanks Seb!

Cheers,
David.

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Michael Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm a bit confused myself - is there a complete list of all the Touch/Phone modules somewhere?

Right now not all translatable packages for the phone are under translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu as the rest of the desktop. This is going to be the first phone release and it will stay like that for 13.10. As we move to a convergent system in 14.04 and 14.10, we'll be providing more unification.

For now, I put together this list to help locate the phone translations and to provide some reference. If someone would like to step up and help, it might be worth putting this list on the wiki for now.

Cheers,
David.

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM, David Planella <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Michael Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm a bit confused myself - is there a complete list of all the Touch/Phone modules somewhere?

Right now not all translatable packages for the phone are under translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu as the rest of the desktop. This is going to be the first phone release and it will stay like that for 13.10. As we move to a convergent system in 14.04 and 14.10, we'll be providing more unification.

For now, I put together this list to help locate the phone translations and to provide some reference. If someone would like to step up and help, it might be worth putting this list on the wiki for now.

I went ahead and published the list on the wiki for easy reference, please feel free to modify and complete the page as you see fit:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/Phone

Notice the recent addition of https://translations.launchpad.net/click-update-manager as a new app to translate.