Call for testing: Xenial langpack updates III

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Call for testing: Xenial langpack updates III

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Hello translators!

We now start the third langpack update cycle for Xenial. While this
update is delayed compared to what was planned originally, it gives us a
chance to improve the translation coverage before the 16.04.4 point
release on 15th of February.

The names of the langpacks which have been copied to xenial-proposed are:

   language-pack-XX
   language-pack-gnome-XX

where 'XX' is the language code.

The steps involved are described at this wiki page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/LanguagePackUpdatesQA

Basically the translation teams are asked to

* install the updated langpacks from xenial-proposed
* perform the tests according to the wiki page
* add the test result for respective language to the Xenial table on
   the wiki page

The row for Swedish has already been inserted; just add your language in
the same manner.

Langpacks which have been reported as successfully tested by 24th of
January 14:00 UTC will be copied to xenial-updates, and with that made
available to all users.

This is the last coordinated translation update for Xenial. If a need
arises for further updates of a particular language, this guidance applies:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/LanguagePackUpdateRequest

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

--
ubuntu-translators mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for testing: Xenial langpack updates III

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Hi again,

The number of reported test results so far are ... not so many. So this
is a 'friendly reminder'.

After an Ubuntu version, in this case 16.04, has been released, it's
considered "stable", and all updates must be verified somehow to prevent
surprise issues. This applies also to translation updates.

So please give this translation update some attention. The requested
tests are simple, and won't take long to accomplish. If you test, and
report the result, new and corrected translations will make it to the
end users of Ubuntu 16.04.

One week to go.

Rgds,

/ Gunnar


-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Call for testing: Xenial langpack updates III
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 14:48:50 +0100
From: Gunnar Hjalmarsson <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
CC: Sebastien Bacher <[hidden email]>

Hello translators!

We now start the third langpack update cycle for Xenial. While this
update is delayed compared to what was planned originally, it gives us a
chance to improve the translation coverage before the 16.04.4 point
release on 15th of February.

The names of the langpacks which have been copied to xenial-proposed are:

   language-pack-XX
   language-pack-gnome-XX

where 'XX' is the language code.

The steps involved are described at this wiki page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/LanguagePackUpdatesQA

Basically the translation teams are asked to

* install the updated langpacks from xenial-proposed
* perform the tests according to the wiki page
* add the test result for respective language to the Xenial table on
   the wiki page

The row for Swedish has already been inserted; just add your language in
the same manner.

Langpacks which have been reported as successfully tested by 24th of
January 14:00 UTC will be copied to xenial-updates, and with that made
available to all users.

This is the last coordinated translation update for Xenial. If a need
arises for further updates of a particular language, this guidance applies:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/LanguagePackUpdateRequest


--
ubuntu-translators mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for testing: Xenial langpack updates III

Hannie Dumoleyn
Hi Gunnar,
Thanks for the reminder.
Dutch language done.
Hannie

Op 01/17/2018 om 06:56 PM schreef Gunnar Hjalmarsson:

> Hi again,
>
> The number of reported test results so far are ... not so many. So
> this is a 'friendly reminder'.
>
> After an Ubuntu version, in this case 16.04, has been released, it's
> considered "stable", and all updates must be verified somehow to
> prevent surprise issues. This applies also to translation updates.
>
> So please give this translation update some attention. The requested
> tests are simple, and won't take long to accomplish. If you test, and
> report the result, new and corrected translations will make it to the
> end users of Ubuntu 16.04.
>
> One week to go.
>
> Rgds,
>
> / Gunnar
>
>
> -------- Forwarded Message --------
> Subject: Call for testing: Xenial langpack updates III
> Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2018 14:48:50 +0100
> From: Gunnar Hjalmarsson <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: Sebastien Bacher <[hidden email]>
>
> Hello translators!
>
> We now start the third langpack update cycle for Xenial. While this
> update is delayed compared to what was planned originally, it gives us
> a chance to improve the translation coverage before the 16.04.4 point
> release on 15th of February.
>
> The names of the langpacks which have been copied to xenial-proposed are:
>
>   language-pack-XX
>   language-pack-gnome-XX
>
> where 'XX' is the language code.
>
> The steps involved are described at this wiki page:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/LanguagePackUpdatesQA
>
> Basically the translation teams are asked to
>
> * install the updated langpacks from xenial-proposed
> * perform the tests according to the wiki page
> * add the test result for respective language to the Xenial table on
>   the wiki page
>
> The row for Swedish has already been inserted; just add your language
> in the same manner.
>
> Langpacks which have been reported as successfully tested by 24th of
> January 14:00 UTC will be copied to xenial-updates, and with that made
> available to all users.
>
> This is the last coordinated translation update for Xenial. If a need
> arises for further updates of a particular language, this guidance
> applies:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/LanguagePackUpdateRequest
>
>


--
ubuntu-translators mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for testing: Xenial langpack updates III

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
On 2018-01-18 17:23, Hannie Dumoleyn wrote:
> Hi Gunnar,
> Thanks for the reminder.
> Dutch language done.

Great!

Was the time format error you mentioned on the wiki page introduced by
the updated language packs?

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

--
ubuntu-translators mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for testing: Xenial langpack updates III

Hannie Dumoleyn
On 18-01-18 18:34, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

> On 2018-01-18 17:23, Hannie Dumoleyn wrote:
>> Hi Gunnar,
>> Thanks for the reminder.
>> Dutch language done.
>
> Great!
>
> Was the time format error you mentioned on the wiki page introduced by
> the updated language packs?
>
Good question. I am not sure if it was ok in the previous language pack,
but I have sent an email to our Dutch mailing list to ask attention for
this issue (we use 24 hours clock). The point is that Ubuntu always uses
"older" versions of gnome. I think  the time/date in the top bar comes
from gnome-shell, so I will check that first. Ubuntu Xenial uses gnome
3.20, so I may have to check this old version as well.

regards,

Hannie


--
ubuntu-translators mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for testing: Xenial langpack updates III

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
On 2018-01-19 11:28, Hannie Dumoleyn wrote:

> On 18-01-18 18:34, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>> Was the time format error you mentioned on the wiki page introduced
>> by the updated language packs?
>
> Good question. I am not sure if it was ok in the previous language
> pack, but I have sent an email to our Dutch mailing list to ask
> attention for this issue (we use 24 hours clock). The point is that
> Ubuntu always uses "older" versions of gnome. I think  the time/date
> in the top bar comes from gnome-shell, so I will check that first.
> Ubuntu Xenial uses gnome 3.20, so I may have to check this old
> version as well.

Now I'm confused.

The language packs provide basically translations for packages in
"main", i.e. packages included in the standard Ubuntu distribution,
which is Unity in Ubuntu 16.04. In 16.04 the translations for
gnome-shell are shipped with the gnome-shell package, not with the
language packs. So the proper way to test the language packs for Xenial
is to use standard Ubuntu 16.04, not Ubuntu GNOME.

Hence, if it was Ubuntu GNOME you tested with, we can be pretty sure
that the clock format issue has nothing to do with the new language packs.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

--
ubuntu-translators mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for testing: Xenial langpack updates III

Hannie Dumoleyn
Op 01/19/2018 om 01:38 PM schreef Gunnar Hjalmarsson:

> On 2018-01-19 11:28, Hannie Dumoleyn wrote:
>> On 18-01-18 18:34, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>>> Was the time format error you mentioned on the wiki page introduced
>>> by the updated language packs?
>>
>> Good question. I am not sure if it was ok in the previous language
>> pack, but I have sent an email to our Dutch mailing list to ask
>> attention for this issue (we use 24 hours clock). The point is that
>> Ubuntu always uses "older" versions of gnome. I think  the time/date
>> in the top bar comes from gnome-shell, so I will check that first.
>> Ubuntu Xenial uses gnome 3.20, so I may have to check this old
>> version as well.
>
> Now I'm confused.
>
> The language packs provide basically translations for packages in
> "main", i.e. packages included in the standard Ubuntu distribution,
> which is Unity in Ubuntu 16.04. In 16.04 the translations for
> gnome-shell are shipped with the gnome-shell package, not with the
> language packs. So the proper way to test the language packs for
> Xenial is to use standard Ubuntu 16.04, not Ubuntu GNOME.
>
> Hence, if it was Ubuntu GNOME you tested with, we can be pretty sure
> that the clock format issue has nothing to do with the new language
> packs.
>
Let me explain what I did for the test:
I opened Ubuntu Xenial, with Unity (not the gnome shell), then I checked
xenial-proposed and restarted Ubuntu with Unity. In this situation I see
5:05 PM instead of 17:05. I have wrongly drawn the conclusion that the
clock uses gnome. Do you know in what module I should change this?

Thanks,

Hannie


--
ubuntu-translators mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for testing: Xenial langpack updates III

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
On 2018-01-19 17:12, Hannie Dumoleyn wrote:
> Let me explain what I did for the test:
> I opened Ubuntu Xenial, with Unity (not the gnome shell), then I
> checked xenial-proposed and restarted Ubuntu with Unity. In this
> situation I see 5:05 PM instead of 17:05. I have wrongly drawn the
> conclusion that the clock uses gnome. Do you know in what module I
> should change this?

Well, if you see 5:05 PM in the top bar, I suspect that you have
something else but Nederlands as the regional format in Language
Support. Maybe you have English (United States)?

It's possible to enforce a 12-hour or 24-hour clock in the "Time & Date"
settings, but the "PM" part is fetched from the applied locale, and such
a thing does not exist in the nl_NL locale.

With that said, there are some time format entries in indicator-datetime:

https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/+source/indicator-datetime/+pots/indicator-datetime/nl/+translate

But, to be honest, I doubt you'll find the explanation there.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

--
ubuntu-translators mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Call for testing: Xenial langpack updates III

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
In reply to this post by Gunnar Hjalmarsson
On 2018-01-11 14:48, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> Langpacks which have been reported as successfully tested by 24th of
> January 14:00 UTC will be copied to xenial-updates, and with that
> made available to all users.

The 6 language packs which were tested have now been moved to -updates.
Thanks Lukasz, and thanks to those who tested.
> This is the last coordinated translation update for Xenial. If a
> need arises for further updates of a particular language, this
> guidance applies:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/LanguagePackUpdateRequest

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

--
ubuntu-translators mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-translators