Can GIMP or Krita (?) open PSD files?

behrangsa
Hi,

I have a PSD file which is actually something I have scanned using a scanner with no special layers, effects, etc. It looks like Krita and GIMP can open it but whenever I try to open the file via either one I get an error message. The size of the PSD file is about 30 megs. Does anybody know what is probably causing this?

Re: Can GIMP or Krita (?) open PSD files?

Rebel Lion-2
On Tuesday 08 November 2005 00:45, Behrang Saeedzadeh wrote:
> Hi,
>  I have a PSD file which is actually something I have scanned using a
> scanner with no special layers, effects, etc. It looks like Krita and GIMP
> can open it but whenever I try to open the file via either one I get an
> error message. The size of the PSD file is about 30 megs. Does anybody know
> what is probably causing this?
> Regards,

   What is the error message, in linux the error messages are important and
actually mean something.

--
*~~~~~DakaR
linux user #215413

On 11/7/05, David A' Rebel <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tuesday 08 November 2005 00:45, Behrang Saeedzadeh wrote:
> Hi,
>  I have a PSD file which is actually something I have scanned using a
> scanner with no special layers, effects, etc. It looks like Krita and GIMP
> can open it but whenever I try to open the file via either one I get an
> error message. The size of the PSD file is about 30 megs. Does anybody know
> what is probably causing this?
> Regards,

  What is the error message, in linux the error messages are important and
actually mean something.

LOL! Sorry for the lack of information. The error message I get in Krita is:

"Could not open /home/behrangsa/a2.psd"

In GIMP I get the following error message:

"Opening /home/behrangsa/a2.psd failed: Plug-in could not open image"

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Behrang

--
Behrang Saeedzadeh
http://www.jroller.com/page/behrangsa

Re: Can GIMP or Krita (?) open PSD files?

neil woolford
On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 07:40 +1300, David A' Rebel wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 November 2005 00:45, Behrang Saeedzadeh wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  I have a PSD file which is actually something I have scanned using a
> > scanner with no special layers, effects, etc. It looks like Krita and GIMP
> > can open it but whenever I try to open the file via either one I get an
> > error message. The size of the PSD file is about 30 megs. Does anybody know
> > what is probably causing this?
>
> What is the error message, in linux the error messages are important and
> actually mean something.

True.  Also, how did you scan the image?  What software and hardware was
used?  Does the image open in Photoshop if you have it available?  Come
to that, what does ImageMagick make of it?

In my experience one common reason for people not being able to open
valid Photoshop files is that they are in CMYK mode (for commercial
printing) rather than RGB, greyscale or indexed mode.  Even the 'lite'
versions of Photoshop can't open them.

Neil

Re: Can GIMP or Krita (?) open PSD files?

Lee Braiden-2
On Monday 07 November 2005 19:03, Behrang Saeedzadeh wrote:
>  LOL! Sorry for the lack of information. The error message I get in Krita
> is:
>  "Could not open /home/behrangsa/a2.psd"
>  In GIMP I get the following error message:
>  "Opening /home/behrangsa/a2.psd failed: Plug-in could not open image"
>  Any ideas?
>  Cheers,
> Behrang

As far as I know, Krita and GIMP use different code to read PSD files, so it
seems like there is something very unusual or even broken about this file, if
neither can read it.  Can you tell us where you got this file, or any details
like what it contains in terms of layers, program and version it was created
with, etc.?  Does the "file" command on the psd tell you anything useful
about it?

--
Lee Braiden
http://www.DigitalUnleashed.com

Re: Can GIMP or Krita (?) open PSD files?

behrangsa
I can open the file in Photoshop with no problem. However as Neil said, my file is in CMYK mode so this might be the problem. I have to convert it to RGB and see what happens.

- Behi