Can one make Eye of Gnome detect file type rather than use suffix?

Can one make Eye of Gnome detect file type rather than use suffix?

Chris Green
In general Linux ignores file suffixes like .jpg and .png to identify
file types as it uses the magic number within the file itself.
However Eye of Gnome seems to use the suffix which is a bit of a
nuisance (I just got some images mailed to me which had suffix JPG but
were actually PNG files).

File viewers like ristretto ignore the suffix and can view the files
OK but Eye of Gnome outputs an error.  I want to use Eye of Gnome for
its printing ability.

Is there any way I can make Eye of Gnome ignore the file suffix and,
instead, use the magic number?

--
Chris Green

Re: Can one make Eye of Gnome detect file type rather than use suffix?

ubuntu-users mailing list
Try different viewers.

My reply to the Xfce mailing list didn't come through yet:

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 23:06:20 +0200
From: Ralf Mardorf
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Default viewer for JPEG files doesn't print - is there one
that does?

Some viewers that provide printing

kuickshow
geeqie
eom
gwenview

not to mention that almost all web browser could be used as an image
viewer providing printing.

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 11:21:17PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
> Try different viewers.

Yes, thanks, that's what I'm after of course.

> My reply to the Xfce mailing list didn't come through yet:
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 23:06:20 +0200
> From: Ralf Mardorf
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Default viewer for JPEG files doesn't print - is there one
> that does?
>

> Some viewers that provide printing
>
> kuickshow
> geeqie
> eom
> gwenview

OK, thanks, I'm currently trying nomacs which is OK but really
overkill.

> not to mention that almost all web browser could be used as an image
> viewer providing printing.

That would be rather heavyweight too for just printing an image when
in my mail program.

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 22:35:27 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

>On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 11:21:17PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf via
>ubuntu-users wrote:
>> Try different viewers.
>>
>Yes, thanks, that's what I'm after of course.
>

>> My reply to the Xfce mailing list didn't come through yet:
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>> Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 23:06:20 +0200
>> From: Ralf Mardorf
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: Default viewer for JPEG files doesn't print - is there
>> one that does?
>>

>> Some viewers that provide printing
>>
>> kuickshow
>> geeqie
>> eom
>> gwenview
>>
>OK, thanks, I'm currently trying nomacs which is OK but really
>overkill.
>
>> not to mention that almost all web browser could be used as an image
>> viewer providing printing.
>>
>That would be rather heavyweight too for just printing an image when
>in my mail program.

FWIW different viewers have different approaches regarding orientation.
A viewer that might satisfy your needs at first glance, might be a
PITA, as soon as you want to view pics taken with a smart phone or
tablet. Viewing a pic on the monitor by correct orientation might
require rotation of the pic.

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 at 23:13, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  (I just got some images mailed to me which had suffix JPG but
> were actually PNG files).

I don't often promote Windows stuff but I must admit I've never found
a Linux image viewer I like nearly as much as IrfanView yet.

Anyway. That's an error. IMHO a *good* viewer should offer to fix
those files for you by renaming them.

> File viewers like ristretto ignore the suffix and can view the files
> OK but Eye of Gnome outputs an error.  I want to use Eye of Gnome for
> its printing ability.

Of course, failing that, you could just do it yourself. Then you could
print them from EoG.

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 12:06:20PM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 at 23:13, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >  (I just got some images mailed to me which had suffix JPG but
> > were actually PNG files).
>
> I don't often promote Windows stuff but I must admit I've never found
> a Linux image viewer I like nearly as much as IrfanView yet.
>
> Anyway. That's an error. IMHO a *good* viewer should offer to fix
> those files for you by renaming them.
>
> > File viewers like ristretto ignore the suffix and can view the files
> > OK but Eye of Gnome outputs an error.  I want to use Eye of Gnome for
> > its printing ability.
>
> Of course, failing that, you could just do it yourself. Then you could
> print them from EoG.

Yes, of course I can save the file, then rename it, then print it, but
that's rather a lot of hassle when all I wanted to do was print an
image someone had E-Mailed to me.

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 12:06:20 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>Anyway. That's an error. IMHO a *good* viewer should offer to fix
>those files for you by renaming them.

I wonder how often it happens that a pic's filename suffix is
incorrect, way more often orrientation is an issue.

If the suffix should be an issue, I would open a terminal and mv.

Btw. I'm in favour of mirage, but it neither supports printing, nor
auto-rotation, if the orientation should be wrong. Manually fixing the
orientation by a rotation option is anyway good practise, if you want
to mail or upload the pic.

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 12:36, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, of course I can save the file, then rename it, then print it, but
> that's rather a lot of hassle when all I wanted to do was print an
> image someone had E-Mailed to me.

You didn't mention that you were trying to print directly from an email!

What email program are you using? Can't you tell it to use a different
image viewer?

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 12:44:12PM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 12:36, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Yes, of course I can save the file, then rename it, then print it, but
> > that's rather a lot of hassle when all I wanted to do was print an
> > image someone had E-Mailed to me.
>
> You didn't mention that you were trying to print directly from an email!
>
> What email program are you using? Can't you tell it to use a different
> image viewer?

Er, this is sort of where we came in! :-)

I'm using mutt and (via .mailcap) it was by default using ristretto,
I just need to change .mailcap accordingly.  I'm currently using
nomacs which is OK[ish] but rather a complex application for simply
viewing and printing.

--
Chris Green

Re: Can one make Eye of Gnome detect file type rather than use suffix?

Liam Proven
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 13:30, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Er, this is sort of where we came in! :-)

Well, sort of. Getting files by email, extracting them & then printing
them is one thing; printing directly from a mail is another.

Once they're extracted, it's trivial to fix them. As attachments, it's
not. You could probably ID the files in /tmp and fix them there but
then that's no longer direct.

I've looked at it. This bug has been in EoG since 2007.

9Y ago:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/eog/+bug/632362

12Y ago:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/eog/+bug/172416

I don't think it's ever going to get fixed.

This is why:
https://www.jwz.org/doc/cadt.html

the printing control or functionality you need. That's about your only
option. :-(

Re: Can one make Eye of Gnome detect file type rather than use suffix?

Gene Heskett-2
On Thursday 11 July 2019 09:34:59 Liam Proven wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 13:30, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Er, this is sort of where we came in! :-)
>
> Well, sort of. Getting files by email, extracting them & then printing
> them is one thing; printing directly from a mail is another.
>
> Once they're extracted, it's trivial to fix them. As attachments, it's
> not. You could probably ID the files in /tmp and fix them there but
> then that's no longer direct.
>
> I've looked at it. This bug has been in EoG since 2007.
>
> 9Y ago:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/eog/+bug/632362
>
> 12Y ago:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/eog/+bug/172416
>
> I don't think it's ever going to get fixed.
>
> This is why:
> https://www.jwz.org/doc/cadt.html

> the printing control or functionality you need. That's about your only
> option. :-(

As you know, I'm running TDE which is a fork of kde-3.5 with 99% of the
3.5 bugs fixed. I can print directly from the viewer that pops up when I
click on the pix attachment. The only thing of note is that I must
enable, in the printer dialog it pops up when you click on the printer
icon, is to make sure the checkbox for "fit to page" is enabled,
otherwise I get a very small part of the picture expanded to full page.

Thats about as close to Just works as it gets. :)
> --
> Liam Proven - Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
> Email: [hidden email] - Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus:
> [hidden email] Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven - Skype/LinkedIn:
> liamproven UK: +44 7939-087884 - ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420
> 702 829 053

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis

Re: Can one make Eye of Gnome detect file type rather than use suffix?

MR ZenWiz
On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 2:13 PM Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

:
> Is there any way I can make Eye of Gnome ignore the file suffix and,
> instead, use the magic number?

I use Xubuntu, so I don't often use any GNOME desktop apps.

However, when I need to print something, since ristretto doesn't do
that at all, I use GIMP.  Open, print, done.

HTH.

Mark

Re: Can one make Eye of Gnome detect file type rather than use suffix?

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 11.07.2019, 09:58 -0700 schrieb MR ZenWiz:

> However, when I need to print something, since ristretto doesn't do
> that at all, I use GIMP.  Open,

and the good thing about gimp is that this first step even allows you
to go to the kitchen and make some fesh coffe first !!
(even on systems with lvm and disk cache on SSD i bet)

> print, done.

:)

ciao
        oli

PS (sorry ... couldn't resist with all thet offtopic chatter on this
list recently)

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 09:58:23AM -0700, MR ZenWiz wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 2:13 PM Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> :
> > Is there any way I can make Eye of Gnome ignore the file suffix and,
> > instead, use the magic number?
> >
> I use Xubuntu, so I don't often use any GNOME desktop apps.
>
> However, when I need to print something, since ristretto doesn't do
> that at all, I use GIMP.  Open, print, done.

Er, yes, 'open, print, done' with gimp isn't exactly quick! :-)  Not
to mention that from within an E-Mail it's decidedly clumsy.

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 19:06:52 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:

>hi,
>Am Donnerstag, den 11.07.2019, 09:58 -0700 schrieb MR ZenWiz:
>>
>> However, when I need to print something, since ristretto doesn't do
>> that at all, I use GIMP.  Open,
>
>and the good thing about gimp is that this first step even allows you
>to go to the kitchen and make some fesh coffe first !!
>(even on systems with lvm and disk cache on SSD i bet)
>
>> print, done.
>
>:)
>
>ciao
> oli
>
>PS (sorry ... couldn't resist with all thet offtopic chatter on this
>list recently)

:)

Sometimes we like to talk a little bit. Isn't that what communities are
for?

Re: Can one make Eye of Gnome detect file type rather than use suffix?

Liam Proven
On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 19:22, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> :)
>
> Sometimes we like to talk a little bit. Isn't that what communities are
> for?

I agree!

Sometimes it feels very thankless to work on helping people who often
use false names and then disappear never to be seen again. Having a
group of internet friends to chat with is one of the things that makes
this worthwhile.

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 19:34:58 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 at 19:22, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> :)
>>
>> Sometimes we like to talk a little bit. Isn't that what communities
>> are for?
>
>I agree!
>
>Sometimes it feels very thankless to work on helping people who often
>use false names and then disappear never to be seen again. Having a
>group of internet friends to chat with is one of the things that makes
>this worthwhile.

Thank you :)