Can't change software sources via GUI following upgrade to 17.10 (using Gnome)

Can't change software sources via GUI following upgrade to 17.10 (using Gnome)

Colin Law
Having upgraded to 17.10 (from 17.04), when I open Software and
Updates I am unable to select or deselect s/w sources. I do not get
the popup asking me to enter my password.  I do not see the problem on
another machine with a fresh install of 17.10.

Any suggestions where I might look to sort it? No success searching
Google and Launchpad.

Colin

Re: Can't change software sources via GUI following upgrade to 17.10 (using Gnome)

Kaj Haulrich
On 22-11-2017 14:59, Colin Law wrote:
> Having upgraded to 17.10 (from 17.04), when I open Software and
> Updates I am unable to select or deselect s/w sources. I do not get
> the popup asking me to enter my password.  I do not see the problem on
> another machine with a fresh install of 17.10.
>
> Any suggestions where I might look to sort it? No success searching
> Google and Launchpad.

The easy way: You could install synaptic and manage your sources from there.
or the nerdy way:
edit /etc/apt/sources.list (as root, of course).

On 22 November 2017 at 15:52, Kaj Haulrich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22-11-2017 14:59, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> Having upgraded to 17.10 (from 17.04), when I open Software and
>> Updates I am unable to select or deselect s/w sources. I do not get
>> the popup asking me to enter my password.  I do not see the problem on
>> another machine with a fresh install of 17.10.
>>
>> Any suggestions where I might look to sort it? No success searching
>> Google and Launchpad.
>

> The easy way: You could install synaptic and manage your sources from there.
> or the nerdy way:
> edit /etc/apt/sources.list (as root, of course).

Thanks, but actually I was trying to work out why it does not work
using the standard app.  If I can determine why it does not work then
I can decide whether I should file a bug or whether I have just messed
something up myself.

In fact editing /etc/apt/source.list is often not the solution as many
sources are defined by files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d

On 22 November 2017 at 16:40, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 November 2017 at 15:52, Kaj Haulrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 22-11-2017 14:59, Colin Law wrote:
>>>
>>> Having upgraded to 17.10 (from 17.04), when I open Software and
>>> Updates I am unable to select or deselect s/w sources. I do not get
>>> the popup asking me to enter my password.  I do not see the problem on
>>> another machine with a fresh install of 17.10.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions where I might look to sort it? No success searching
>>> Google and Launchpad.
>>

>> The easy way: You could install synaptic and manage your sources from there.
>> or the nerdy way:
>> edit /etc/apt/sources.list (as root, of course).
>
> Thanks, but actually I was trying to work out why it does not work
> using the standard app.  If I can determine why it does not work then
> I can decide whether I should file a bug or whether I have just messed
> something up myself.

For the record I decided this is a bug so have filed it.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-shell/+bug/1734095

Colin