Can't generate installer preseed file for bionic

Can't generate installer preseed file for bionic

Jiří Kraml
Hi All,

I'm trying to generate an installer preseed file for Ubuntu 18.04 as
described in the documentation [1]. Unfortunately,

$ debconf-get-selections --installer

produces no output. Actually, /var/log/installer/cdebconf is not only
empty, it doesn't even exist right after the installation. It is only
created when I install debconf-utils.

The documentation seems to be outdated. To whose attention can I bring this?

And who can tell me how to generate at preseed file?

Regards,
Jiri

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/installation-guide/amd64/apbs03.html

Re: Can't generate installer preseed file for bionic

Little Girl
Hey there,

Jiří Kraml wrote:

>I'm trying to generate an installer preseed file for Ubuntu 18.04 as
>described in the documentation [1]. Unfortunately,
>
>$ debconf-get-selections --installer
>
>produces no output. Actually, /var/log/installer/cdebconf is not
>only empty, it doesn't even exist right after the installation. It
>is only created when I install debconf-utils.
>
>The documentation seems to be outdated. To whose attention can I
>bring this?

This command will display the contact information for the person who
maintains debconf:

dpkg -s debconf | grep "Maintainer:"

I've got no experience with the rest, but maybe someone else will
jump in and help out.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: Can't generate installer preseed file for bionic

Colin Watson
On Thu, Dec 06, 2018 at 05:07:29PM -0500, Little Girl wrote:

> Jiří Kraml wrote:
> >I'm trying to generate an installer preseed file for Ubuntu 18.04 as
> >described in the documentation [1]. Unfortunately,
> >
> >$ debconf-get-selections --installer
> >
> >produces no output. Actually, /var/log/installer/cdebconf is not
> >only empty, it doesn't even exist right after the installation. It
> >is only created when I install debconf-utils.
> >
> >The documentation seems to be outdated. To whose attention can I
> >bring this?
>
> This command will display the contact information for the person who
> maintains debconf:
>
> dpkg -s debconf | grep "Maintainer:"

Speaking as that person, please don't do that here, as this is rather
more likely to depend on the installer being used.

Colin Watson wrote:

>> This command will display the contact information for the person
>> who maintains debconf:

>> dpkg -s debconf | grep "Maintainer:"

>Speaking as that person, please don't do that here, as this is rather
>more likely to depend on the installer being used.

Speaking as this person, please don't do that here. If you believe
that someone else doesn't know something, instead of telling them not
to do whatever they did to lead you to believe that, please educate
them with what you believe they ought to have done. That's what this
mailing list is for.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 07:59:11AM -0500, Little Girl wrote:

> Colin Watson wrote:
>
> >> This command will display the contact information for the person
> >> who maintains debconf:
>
> >> dpkg -s debconf | grep "Maintainer:"
>
> >Speaking as that person, please don't do that here, as this is rather
> >more likely to depend on the installer being used.
>
> Speaking as this person, please don't do that here. If you believe
> that someone else doesn't know something, instead of telling them not
> to do whatever they did to lead you to believe that, please educate
> them with what you believe they ought to have done. That's what this
> mailing list is for.

Sorry if I was a bit brief.  I specifically meant "please don't contact
me about this, as the principal maintainer of debconf, because I don't
know the answer"; on rereading I don't think I put that very clearly.

Unfortunately I didn't know exactly who to contact about this, which is
why I didn't recommend a specific other contact point.  (Though it's
possible [hidden email] might be able to help.)

Re: Can't generate installer preseed file for bionic

Liam Proven
On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 at 15:49, Colin Watson <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   (Though it's
> possible [hidden email] might be able to help.)

The Server list might help?