Quantcast

Cannot copy files and folders from laptop (Kubuntu 16.04) to micro SD from my mobile phone (Android 5.1.1.).

Cannot copy files and folders from laptop (Kubuntu 16.04) to micro SD from my mobile phone (Android 5.1.1.).

Bas G. Roufs - in English
Hello Everybody.

Ever since yesterday, I have been trying to copy files and folders from my
laptop to the micro SD at my mobile - no success so far.  Copying/ backing up
from there to the laptop is no problem, but the other way around is seemingly
not possible.

The laptop uses at present Kubuntu 16.04 along with KDE 5.6.5. The mobile
phone is a Samsung S5 Mini running on Android 5.1.1

First of all, I have tried the traditional method - connection between laptop
and mobile via a USB cable. In Kubuntu 14.04 and previous versions, this
worked out of the box. Kubuntu detected both the card and the internal memory
as "mass storage" - copying in both directions was possible. It was even
possible to create a new folder or rename something from the laptop in both
the micro sd and internal memory from the mobile. But here at Kubuntu 16.04
all this is seemingly impossible. When connecting the USB cable, Kubuntu does
not detect a "mass storage device", but a "camera" via the mtp protocol.

I have also been trying KDE Connect and Airdroid - I do manage to 'pair' both
devices. However, I can't copy anything to the micro sd. Moreover - at the
laptop side, it is impossible to correctly SEE via both packages the files and
folders at the  micro SD.

Can you please help. Thanks.
--
Bas G. Roufs
Van 't Hoffstraat 1

Re: Cannot copy files and folders from laptop (Kubuntu 16.04) to micro SD from my mobile phone (Android 5.1.1.).

Bas G. Roufs - in English
Hello Everybody.

> Ever since yesterday, I have been trying to copy files and folders from my
> laptop to the micro SD at my mobile - no success so far.  ....

> The laptop uses at present Kubuntu 16.04 along with KDE 5.6.5. The mobile
> phone is a Samsung S5 Mini running on Android 5.1.1.....
> First of all, I have tried the traditional method - connection between
> laptop and mobile via a USB cable.

In the mean time I do manage to copy them from my laptop to the micro sd card
in the phone - however,  the process is being accompanied by a lot of
difficulties., failures and crashes. Often, the "mtp protocol" dies
"unexpectedly".  Additionally, it takes time to "examin" the sd card. Finally,
the system cannot calculate the exact size of a file on the SD card via the mtp
protocol.

> I have also been trying KDE Connect and Airdroid - I do manage to 'pair'
> both devices. .......

I really love KDE Connect - a package with several useful functions.

However, I do not manage to copy files in either direction via that wireless
way.

Yours.

Bas G. Roufs.

--