Cannot encrypt archive?

Owen Thomas
I'm creating my first zip archive since upgrading from 16.04 to 20.04, and I find there is no option in the archive manager to encrypt.

Can I encrypt my archive in 20.04?

Re: Cannot encrypt archive?

Owen Thomas
On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 at 13:31, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm creating my first zip archive since upgrading from 16.04 to 20.04, and I find there is no option in the archive manager to encrypt.

Can I encrypt my archive in 20.04?

Baahhh... I can create a new archive with all the features I want when I open an existing one and select New Archive from that, but perhaps it is a bit annoying that the screen that comes up after selecting Compress from the context menu does not let the user do this.

Re: Cannot encrypt archive?

Owen Thomas
On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 at 13:39, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 at 13:31, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm creating my first zip archive since upgrading from 16.04 to 20.04, and I find there is no option in the archive manager to encrypt.

Can I encrypt my archive in 20.04?

Baahhh... I can create a new archive with all the features I want when I open an existing one and select New Archive from that, but perhaps it is a bit annoying that the screen that comes up after selecting Compress from the context menu does not let the user do this.

No! It is official. Ubuntu 20.04 officially SUX!

When I try to create the archive after putting all the necessary details in, it opens a new window displaying an empty archive. It doesn't save the archive - just opens a new window. When I try again to select the files I need, the file selection window that opens now doesn't display hidden files.

Who engineered this screwup?

Re: Cannot encrypt archive?

Karl Auer
On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 13:39 +1100, Owen Thomas wrote:
> > I'm creating my first zip archive since upgrading from 16.04 to
> > 20.04, and I find there is no option in the archive manager to
> > encrypt.

Yes - it is really annoying how far 20.04 has dumbed Ubuntu down, for
no good reason that I can see. And how many changes were made, also for
no good reason. Not changing a file or directory name in place for
example, not having an "encrypt" option in the "compress" dialogue and
dropping tar.gz from the compression options - why?

But you don't have to open an existing archive to be able to create a
new one. Look in the applications list for "Archive Manager" and run
it. You can then drag and drop the desired files into the archive
manager. It will ask you whether you want to create an archive, and if
you say "yes", it will pop up the usual options - including a huge
range of compression options, and the option to encrypt (at least for
compression methods that have built-in encryption, like zip).

Regards, K.

Karl Auer ([hidden email])
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer

GPG fingerprint: 2561 E9EC D868 E73C 8AF1 49CF EE50 4B1D CCA1 5170
Old fingerprint: 8D08 9CAA 649A AFEF E862 062A 2E97 42D4 A2A0 616D

Re: Cannot encrypt archive?

Karl Auer
On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 13:52 +1100, Owen Thomas wrote:
> When I try to create the archive after putting all the necessary
> details in, it opens a new window displaying an empty archive.

At this point you can either drag and drop files into the empty window,
or you can click on the plus sign to add files and select them from a
file chooser. If you need to see hidden files, right click in the file
chooser and select "Show Hidden Files". Each time you drag more files
(or select more files) they will be added to the archive. You can keep
doing either or both until all the files you want archived have been
added, then just close the archive manager.

> Who engineered this screwup?

It's not quite as bad as that - in fact the archive manager itself is
essentially unchanged.

On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 at 14:32, Karl Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 2020-11-01 at 13:52 +1100, Owen Thomas wrote:
> When I try to create the archive after putting all the necessary
> details in, it opens a new window displaying an empty archive.

At this point you can either drag and drop files into the empty window,
or you can click on the plus sign to add files and select them from a
file chooser. If you need to see hidden files, right click in the file
chooser and select "Show Hidden Files". Each time you drag more files
(or select more files) they will be added to the archive. You can keep
doing either or both until all the files you want archived have been
added, then just close the archive manager.

> Who engineered this screwup?

It's not quite as bad as that - in fact the archive manager itself is
essentially unchanged.

No Karl, you're right. Things have changed and I suppose I'll have to change along with them.

I don't know why the Compress option on the context menu for a file/directory now opens a simplified dialogue box instead of the Archive Manager, but this change has been deemed appropriate by the committee that decides these things, so I'll just get on with it.

I am sore, but by the evening it will have ebbed.

Re: Cannot encrypt archive?

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Sonntag, den 01.11.2020, 13:52 +1100 schrieb Owen Thomas:

> Who engineered this ... ?

apart from the dock/launcher, the desktop icons and the theme the
desktop is plain upstream gnome since 18.04 ...
as designed by (mainly) redhat/fedora ...

ciao
        oli

Re: Cannot encrypt archive?

On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 at 03:59, Karl Auer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes - it is really annoying how far 20.04 has dumbed Ubuntu down, for
> no good reason that I can see. And how many changes were made, also for
> no good reason

Ubuntu, or GNOME?

They are *not the same thing*.

Ubuntu used to have its own desktop, remember. It was in control of
these things. Lots of people complained about it, and in the end
Canonical killed the project. Now it is not in control, because it
switched to Red Hat's desktop.

Don't blame Ubuntu for the failings and mistakes in Red Hat's team.
This is what people asked for. Remember that.

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

Re: Cannot encrypt archive?

Owen Thomas
On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 01:03, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
Don't blame Ubuntu for the failings and mistakes in Red Hat's team.
This is what people asked for. Remember that.

I was attracted to Ubuntu because I was trying to look for a low cost (I have to still buy hardware) computer environment that appeared to give me enough of what Windows or Apple gave their users.

I didn't expect Ubuntu to be able to match these other environments in every aspect (Ubuntu is free, and I have what I paid for), but it is still as far as I can see, doing a good job. Hence, although I get a little stressed when weird changes like these present themselves, I philosophically resign myself when Ubuntu changes its desktop environment: cheap and cheerful.

May Ubuntu continue to provide an alternative that is within my price range and has the functionality sufficient to allow me to do the things I want it to do.

  Owen.

PS: Please let me disable my mouse touchpad. This would be a well regarded productivity bonus for me!

--
I cut code. I'll cut your code at an intensity and from a place of my own choosing.
Dislocation is a notion which is going to have to be accepted by my employer.

Re: Cannot encrypt archive?

Liam Proven
On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 00:45, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was attracted to Ubuntu because I was trying to look for a low cost (I have to still buy hardware) computer environment that appeared to give me enough of what Windows or Apple gave their users.
>
> I didn't expect Ubuntu to be able to match these other environments in every aspect (Ubuntu is free, and I have what I paid for), but it is still as far as I can see, doing a good job.

I agree. I still think it's a superb desktop distro.

The only thing I'd say is this: you don't have to just take what comes
by default.

There are multiple official and unofficial versions of Ubuntu with
different desktops. They all have live media to try them out without
installing. They're all free. They are all as easy.

https://ubuntu.com/download/flavours

Official ones come with:
• XFCE -- lightweight, fast, Windows-like, highly customizable
• Maté -- middleweight, Windows-like, moderately customisable
• KDE -- heavyweight, Windows-like, uses some different tools and
apps, moderately customizable
• LXQt -- lightweight, Windows-like, uses the same toolkit as KDE,
highly customisable but the desktop is as-yet unfinished and a bit
rough around the edges IMHO
• Budgie -- somewhat weird, unique design, looks nice but doesn't do
anything you couldn't do with Xfce in a few dozen clicks

Unofficial ones offer:
• Cinnamon -- heavyweight, Windows-like, limited customizability but looks nice
• Unity -- the classic Ubuntu desktop from 2010-2018
• Enlightenment (Bodhi Linux) -- Windows like, rich theming, good
customizability
• ElementaryOS -- Pantheon desktop, very superficially Mac-like but
functionally limited, poor customizability
• ZorinOS -- Windows-like customized version of GNOME or (in Lite
version) XFCE. The Lite one is quite good.

And of course there's Linux Mint, based on Ubuntu but with some extra
polish, more drivers and codecs and some nice extras. Offers Cinnamon,
Maté or XFCE editions.

I'm experimenting with Ubuntu Unity remix and it's good, although not
quite as light-weight as Unity originally was. Works well, though. I
forgive its flaws as the lead developer is 10 years old. Yes really.
Great kid, incredibly smart, friendly and helpful.

> PS: Please let me disable my mouse touchpad. This would be a well regarded productivity bonus for me!

I can only tell you that I do that as a matter of course on all my
Thinkpads. It's under Mouse Settings.

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

Mouse touchpad (was Re: Cannot encrypt archive?)

MR ZenWiz
On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 3:45 PM Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

:
>   Owen.
>
> PS: Please let me disable my mouse touchpad. This would be a well regarded productivity bonus for me!

In Xubuntu, if you go into Settings -> Mouse and touchpad, there is a
setting to disable the touchpad.

I'm pretty sure you can find one for Ubuntu (Google usually helps).

Alternatively, you can switch to Xubuntu (XFCE4 wm) - I find it much
more flexible as well and thin and fast.  Haven't used straight Ubuntu
since the Unity interface came out, and I don't care for GNOME3
either.  But that's just me (and most other XFCE4 users, even on
Mint).

Hope that helps.

Mark

Re: Mouse touchpad (was Re: Cannot encrypt archive?)

Liam Proven
On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 01:39, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In Xubuntu, if you go into Settings -> Mouse and touchpad, there is a
> setting to disable the touchpad.
>
> I'm pretty sure you can find one for Ubuntu (Google usually helps).
>
> Alternatively, you can switch to Xubuntu (XFCE4 wm) - I find it much
> more flexible as well and thin and fast.  Haven't used straight Ubuntu
> since the Unity interface came out, and I don't care for GNOME3
> either.  But that's just me (and most other XFCE4 users, even on
> Mint).

100% agreed to both.

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 11:48, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 01:39, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In Xubuntu, if you go into Settings -> Mouse and touchpad, there is a
> setting to disable the touchpad.
>
> I'm pretty sure you can find one for Ubuntu (Google usually helps).
>
> Alternatively, you can switch to Xubuntu (XFCE4 wm) - I find it much
> more flexible as well and thin and fast.  Haven't used straight Ubuntu
> since the Unity interface came out, and I don't care for GNOME3
> either.  But that's just me (and most other XFCE4 users, even on
> Mint).

100% agreed to both.

What I'm trying to hint at here is just a keystroke. One shouldn't have to plow one's way through a set of menu options while one is entering some text to disable one's touchpad, only to need to plow through the same set of menus so to re-enable it when one wants to use the touchpad.

Perhaps this can be assigned to a keyboard shortcut (can it? - it looks like I might have to be arsed to find out) and that might fix my problems - at least until I need to learn how to do it all over again sometime next decade. However, it would be better for there to be a keyboard shortcut configured "out of the box" because I think most people (yes, thankfully not all people) have lives that are centred on activities other than configuring their computer to respond to keyboard shortcuts, and so most new users would really appreciate not having to learn about how to configure their touchpad disablement feature to respond to a keyboard shortcut; most people (not all, thankfully) want their operating system to enable their lives, they do not want their operating system to become the focus of their lives .

I am not mistaken am I?

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 5:36 PM Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

:
> What I'm trying to hint at here is just a keystroke. One shouldn't have to plow one's way through a set of menu options while one is entering some text to disable one's touchpad, only to need to plow through the same set of menus so to re-enable it when one wants to use the touchpad.

If you can figure out which app does the Mouse and Touchpad controls,
you can find out if it has command line options, which would make it a
candidate for a keystroke or pair.  I don't use Ubuntu, and not sorry.

> Perhaps this can be assigned to a keyboard shortcut (can it? - it looks like I might have to be arsed to find out) and that might fix my problems - at least until I need to learn how to do it all over again sometime next decade. However, it would be better for there to be a keyboard shortcut configured "out of the box" because I think most people (yes, thankfully not all people) have lives that are centred on activities other than configuring their computer to respond to keyboard shortcuts, and so most new users would really appreciate not having to learn about how to configure their touchpad disablement feature to respond to a keyboard shortcut; most people (not all, thankfully) want their operating system to enable their lives, they do not want their operating system to become the focus of their lives .

Personally, I use a mouse with my laptop and run with the touchpad
disabled all the time.  It is not of any use to me at all, and if my
mouse dies and I can't do without mouse controls, the joystick is
enough - it doesn't interfere with my typing.  The touchpad does, too
often, and I see no need to tolerate that.

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 15:33, MR ZenWiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Personally, I use a mouse with my laptop and run with the touchpad
disabled all the time.  It is not of any use to me at all, and if my
mouse dies and I can't do without mouse controls, the joystick is
enough - it doesn't interfere with my typing.  The touchpad does, too
often, and I see no need to tolerate that.

I like the touchpad - it means my laptop can stay on my lap and its operation is more precise and contollable than the joystick; I would like Ubuntu to come preconfigured with a keystroke that disables my touchpad and lets me type without having to undo (if possible) any havoc wreaked by the inadvertent contact of any part of my hands while I am trying to type.

I don't think this is too much of an ask for someone who has the knowledge and the interest necessary to put a change like this into a subsequent release of Ubuntu. I hope such a person is listening to my entreaty.

Re: Cannot encrypt archive?

Colin Law
On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 at 23:45, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> PS: Please let me disable my mouse touchpad. This would be a well regarded productivity bonus for me!

See if the commands
synclient touchpadoff=1
and
synclient touchpadoff=0
switch it off and on respectively.  If they do then you can assign
keyboard hotkey combinations to those commands.

Colin

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 01:36, Owen Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Perhaps this can be assigned to a keyboard shortcut

See if the commands
synclient touchpadoff=1
and
synclient touchpadoff=0
switch it off and on respectively.  If they do then you can assign
keyboard hotkey combinations to those commands.

Colin

Re: Mouse touchpad (was Re: Cannot encrypt archive?)

Bill Stanley

I do not know if this helps, but ...  I had an HP Pavilion notebook a
few years ago and there was a keystroke on the keyboard that controlled
ON / OFF of the touchpad.  Since it was a built in feature of the
notebook, it didn't matter what OS you used.  I would check in the
instruction manual that comes with the notebook.  If that is not an
option, try the manufactures website.

Bill Stanley