Cant get any ubuntu version/type to boot to the installer or livecd properly

Cant get any ubuntu version/type to boot to the installer or livecd properly

Michael Varre-2

I have a beautiful new HP EliteBook 8530p which I'm trying to get ubuntu installed onto.  Currently runs Vista x64 (this shouldnt really matter though). I cant seem to get any version of Ubuntu to boot into the disc correctly.  the disks ARE getting burned properly and have no errors.

I've tried various flavors here to see if any of them work and im having no luck.

Ubuntu 8.10 amd64 & 32bit Desktop Alternate – gets me to the screen where I choose the language and I choose install ubuntu.  Gives the progress bar where it loads the installer and all that stuff then brings me to a blinking cursor on a black screen.  It stays like this indefinitely.

Kubuntu 8.10 32bit – choose INSTALL and "bug: soft lockup.  CPU#1 stuck for 11s.  Modeprobe:1040

Ubuntu 8.04 32bit Server – choose INSTALL and "bug: soft lockup.  CPU#1 stuck for 11s.  Modeprobe:1040

The strange thing is at one point a few days ago I was able to boot the amd64 one into the livecd.  The only thing that's change since then is a put a new drive in the laptop.  But I've put the old one back in to see if I can again boot into the live cd, and no go.  No bios changes have been made.  Im lost. Please help.

--

mv
315.952.5753

Re: Cant get any ubuntu version/type to boot to the installer or livecd properly

Lucio M Nicolosi-3
Michael Varre wrote:

> I have a beautiful new HP EliteBook 8530p which I'm trying to get
> ubuntu installed onto.  Currently runs Vista x64 (this shouldnt really
> matter though). I cant seem to get any version of Ubuntu to boot into
> the disc correctly.  the disks ARE getting burned properly and have no
> errors.
>
> I've tried various flavors here to see if any of them work and im
> having no luck.
>
> Ubuntu 8.10 amd64 & 32bit Desktop Alternate – gets me to the screen
> where I choose the language and I choose install ubuntu.  Gives the
> progress bar where it loads the installer and all that stuff then
> brings me to a blinking cursor on a black screen.  It stays like this
> indefinitely.
>
> Kubuntu 8.10 32bit – choose INSTALL and "bug: soft lockup.  CPU#1
> stuck for 11s.  Modeprobe:1040
>
> Ubuntu 8.04 32bit Server – choose INSTALL and "bug: soft lockup.
> CPU#1 stuck for 11s.  Modeprobe:1040
>

> The strange thing is at one point a few days ago I was able to boot
> the amd64 one into the livecd.  The only thing that's change since
> then is a put a new drive in the laptop.  But I've put the old one
> back in to see if I can again boot into the live cd, and no go.  No
> bios changes have been made.  Im lost. Please help.

I don't know if it might help but I had a similar problem and managed to
address it by using the Live CD and booting without the options "quiet"
and "splash" (F6 - options) so that every step of the boot process could
be followed.

Regards,

L.

Re: Cant get any ubuntu version/type to boot to the installer or livecd properly

Karl Larsen-2
Michael Varre wrote:

> I have a beautiful new HP EliteBook 8530p which I'm trying to get ubuntu
> installed onto.  Currently runs Vista x64 (this shouldnt really matter
> though). I cant seem to get any version of Ubuntu to boot into the disc
> correctly.  the disks ARE getting burned properly and have no errors.
>
> I've tried various flavors here to see if any of them work and im having no
> luck.
>
> Ubuntu 8.10 amd64 & 32bit Desktop Alternate – gets me to the screen where I
> choose the language and I choose install ubuntu.  Gives the progress bar
> where it loads the installer and all that stuff then brings me to a blinking
> cursor on a black screen.  It stays like this indefinitely.
>
> Kubuntu 8.10 32bit – choose INSTALL and "bug: soft lockup.  CPU#1 stuck for
> 11s.  Modeprobe:1040
>
> Ubuntu 8.04 32bit Server – choose INSTALL and "bug: soft lockup.  CPU#1
> stuck for 11s.  Modeprobe:1040
>

> The strange thing is at one point a few days ago I was able to boot the
> amd64 one into the livecd.  The only thing that's change since then is a put
> a new drive in the laptop.  But I've put the old one back in to see if I can
> again boot into the live cd, and no go.  No bios changes have been made.  Im
> lost. Please help.

    You help! Can you get a liveCD to come up so you can use it????
Doesn't matter what one.

    If so on the liveCD open a terminal and type lspci and tell us what
video driver your laptop has.

Karl

--

        Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
        Linux User

Re: Cant get any ubuntu version/type to boot to the installer or livecd properly

Michael Varre-2
Thanks for the tip Lucio. - and no i wasnt able to boot to the LiveCD. I have ubuntu installed now - but i believe the same problem exists as i cant boot into it

I was able to get 8.10 amd64 installed now but i still have something wrong with the boot process.

when i booted with quiet it showed me:
Marking TSC unstable due to TSC halts in Idle (see attached jpeg)

Googling gave me the tip to acpi=off as an installer option - that worked and ubuntu installed! yea! but..

Booting into Ubuntu just shows a black screen now.  The first time i booted into Recovery Mode, it brought me to the options screen and i chose "resume normal bootup" and it worked and i was at the ubuntu desktop and everything worked beautifully.  i thought maybe i didnt give it enough of a chance to boot originally so i tried again and it just sat and hung indefinitely.  Subsequent tries to boot into Recovery Mode froze at the second to last line on the screenshot: "ACPI: Thermal Zone [DTSZ] (58 C)"  - this doesnt seem to be an error, but this seems to be where its halting.

--

mv
315.952.5753

IMG00018.jpg (32K) Download Attachment

Re: Cant get any ubuntu version/type to boot to the installer or livecd properly

Chris Mohler
On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Michael Varre <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]
> Googling gave me the tip to acpi=off as an installer option - that worked
> and ubuntu installed! yea! but..

Have you tried to enter the grub boot menu and append "acpi=off" to
the boot line?

Chris

Re: Cant get any ubuntu version/type to boot to the installer or livecd properly

Michael Varre-2
I was just going to post to say yes - that does get me booted up.
However when I get in I see acpid running and it seems to be
functional (I think).

Should I just carry on with acpi=off? Not sure if I should just live with that.

On 12/12/08, Chris Mohler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Michael Varre <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
>> Googling gave me the tip to acpi=off as an installer option - that worked
>> and ubuntu installed! yea! but..
>
> Have you tried to enter the grub boot menu and append "acpi=off" to
> the boot line?
>
> Chris

Sent from my mobile device

Michael Varre wrote:

> Thanks for the tip Lucio. - and no i wasnt able to boot to the LiveCD.
> I have ubuntu installed now - but i believe the same problem exists as
> i cant boot into it
>
> I was able to get 8.10 amd64 installed now but i still have something
> wrong with the boot process.
>
> when i booted with quiet it showed me:
> Marking TSC unstable due to TSC halts in Idle (see attached jpeg)
>
> Googling gave me the tip to acpi=off as an installer option - that
> worked and ubuntu installed! yea! but..
>
> Booting into Ubuntu just shows a black screen now.  The first time i
> booted into Recovery Mode, it brought me to the options screen and i
> chose "resume normal bootup" and it worked and i was at the ubuntu
> desktop and everything worked beautifully.  i thought maybe i didnt
> give it enough of a chance to boot originally so i tried again and it
> just sat and hung indefinitely.  Subsequent tries to boot into
> Recovery Mode froze at the second to last line on the screenshot:
> "ACPI: Thermal Zone [DTSZ] (58 C)"  - this doesnt seem to be an error,
> but this seems to be where its halting.

Michael,

I guess you already tried to restore BIOS config to it's default
settings or to disable every and all power saving features in the BIOS
config, including throttling processor, etc.

If Vista works I assume that the disk change didn't introduce any
re-assembling issues.

Since it seems you didn't have linux previously installed in this
machine, you might be facing compatibility issues. Once I spent hours
trying to boot Ubuntu on a particular combination of motherboard/ sata
disk/ sata-ahci-raid connectors until found through Google a workaround
that involved including an additional parameter in the boot process (in
my case "pci=nomsi", whatever it means).

L.

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Michael Varre <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was just going to post to say yes - that does get me booted up.
> However when I get in I see acpid running and it seems to be
> functional (I think).
>
> Should I just carry on with acpi=off? Not sure if I should just live with that.

Don't know about that - does it shut down/reboot/suspend/hibernate
properly?  As Lucio mentioned, you might poke around in the BIOS and
look for power management options as well - that might remove the need
for "acpi=off" in the first place...

Chris