Capturing Screenshots in Ubuntu

Alf Vahau
Hi,
What is the Ubuntu way of capturing screenshots?
I need to capture screenshots for insertion in Impress presentation of
OpenOffice.

PrintScreen followed by Insert has no effect. Nor is there a paste
option on right click of the mouse
button after hitting PrintScreen key.

The old fashion way of Alt+PrintScreen followed by Alt+Shift+Insert too
has not effect.

Pointers on how to capture the screenshots is appreciated.

Alfred,

Re: Capturing Screenshots in Ubuntu

Dennis Kaarsemaker
On di, 2005-11-08 at 10:23 +1000, Alfred Vahau wrote:

> What is the Ubuntu way of capturing screenshots?

By default (in gnome), the [Prt Scr] button is used for that.
--
Dennis K.
  - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntulinux.org

Re: Capturing Screenshots in Ubuntu

john levin-2
Alfred Vahau wrote:
> Hi,
> What is the Ubuntu way of capturing screenshots?
> I need to capture screenshots for insertion in Impress presentation of
> OpenOffice.

There's a menu entry, under System > Take Screenshot...

(Don't know why there's the dots after Screenshot. Bug?)

John

Re: Capturing Screenshots in Ubuntu

Wade Smart
11072005 1858 GMT-5

Isnt it the same in windows?

Wade

On ma, 2005-11-07 at 18:58 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:

> Isnt it the same in windows?

Last time I used windows, the [prt scr] only filled the clipboard. On a
default Ubuntu setup, you get a dialog to save the screenshot. Much
better imho.
--
Dennis K.
  - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntulinux.org
  - Linux voor normale mensen: http://www.ubuntulinux.nl

Re: Capturing Screenshots in Ubuntu

coldrick
Notice too that Alt-prt scr includes only the current window.

Regards,
David

john levin wrote:

> Alfred Vahau wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> What is the Ubuntu way of capturing screenshots?
>> I need to capture screenshots for insertion in Impress presentation
>> of OpenOffice.
>>
> There's a menu entry, under System > Take Screenshot...
>
> (Don't know why there's the dots after Screenshot. Bug?)
>
> John

Thanks John. Works wonderfully. Now I'll just need to figure out how to
crop the needed screenshot from the rest.
Is there a tool that is needed to do this? I'd rather avoid the use of
GIMP at this stage.

Alfred

Re: Capturing Screenshots in Ubuntu

Michael R. Head
On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 11:36 +1000, Alfred Vahau wrote:
> john levin wrote:
> Thanks John. Works wonderfully. Now I'll just need to figure out how to
> crop the needed screenshot from the rest.
> Is there a tool that is needed to do this? I'd rather avoid the use of
> GIMP at this stage.

The GIMP is actually quite good for this sort of thing, but... Just
press Alt-Printscreen.

mike

--
Michael R. Head <[hidden email]>
GPG: http://www.suppressingfire.org/~burner/gpg.key.txt [0x4C9DA1D0]

john levin wrote:
Thanks John. Works wonderfully. Now I'll just need to figure out how to
crop the needed screenshot from the rest.
Is there a tool that is needed to do this? I'd rather avoid the use of
GIMP at this stage.

The GIMP is actually quite good for this sort of thing, but... Just
press Alt-Printscreen.

mike

Alfred

I find Alt-Printscreen does not reproduce the image of screen faithfully.
Looks like I will have to use GIMP to produce the cropping effects prior to inserting into OpenOffice documents.

But I shouldn't have to use GIMP to refine the size via crop. After inserting into an OO document,
I should be able to click on the image which automatically loads a picture editor.
The image will have handles and as I choose the crop option and drag the handles,
the desired image should result. This can be done without having to use a full image editor.

Perhaps the feature is there in Ubuntu. I will need to explore further.

john levin wrote:
[...]

Inserting the screenshot into OO Writer for instance invoked the picture editor described above.
Unfortunately the crop option was not available but this is not a Ubuntu issue.
GIMP did the final touches.

Alfred,

Re: Capturing Screenshots in Ubuntu

Duncan Lithgow
Alfred Vahau wrote:

> But I shouldn't have to use GIMP to refine the size via crop. After
> inserting into an OO document,
> I should be able to click on the image which automatically loads a
> picture editor.
> The image will have handles and as I choose the crop option and drag
> the handles,
> the desired image should result.

resizing of screen shots can give some very ugly results - make sure to
look at it with a few different screen resolutions if you do this.
Another way around it to open it in gimp, double the number pixels,
resize it, lower the number of pixels, and resave. Can still look odd
though.

Duncan