Community wallpaper contest for 18.04

Pasi Lallinaho-3
Hello people,

while we are still in the middle of the development cycle for 17.10, I'd
like to start the discussion about the potential (although likely)
community wallpaper contest for 18.04.

We've ran the contest twice now, and the last time we used the WordPress
plugin specifically created for this purpose. Does anybody think we need
to tweak the tool – either how submissions or voting works? If needed, I
can set up a test contest (for the team) to re-evaluate things.

That aside, the main thing I wanted to talk about are the policies for
the contest. Last time we use the following guidelines:
     https://contest.xubuntu.org/help/terms/

There are two main things I'd like to propose to change:

First, I'd like to limit submissions to a certain number per person.
While I'd like to see the number of submissions go up, I would like them
to be from a bigger group of people. Additionally, this means we'll make
the submitters pick their best work instead of us having to vote on it.

Second, I would like to limit submissions to own work only. While this
means we are potentially excluding people from the contest, we are still
making the contest more about the community – not just a community
curated contest.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Pasi

--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome)                    › https://open.knome.fi/
Xubuntu Website Lead & Council Member     › https://xubuntu.org/

Re: Community wallpaper contest for 18.04

flocculant
On 21/09/17 13:03, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:

> Hello people,
>
> while we are still in the middle of the development cycle for 17.10,
> I'd like to start the discussion about the potential (although likely)
> community wallpaper contest for 18.04.
>
> We've ran the contest twice now, and the last time we used the
> WordPress plugin specifically created for this purpose. Does anybody
> think we need to tweak the tool – either how submissions or voting
> works? If needed, I can set up a test contest (for the team) to
> re-evaluate things.
>
> That aside, the main thing I wanted to talk about are the policies for
> the contest. Last time we use the following guidelines:
>     https://contest.xubuntu.org/help/terms/
>
> There are two main things I'd like to propose to change:
>
> First, I'd like to limit submissions to a certain number per person.
> While I'd like to see the number of submissions go up, I would like
> them to be from a bigger group of people. Additionally, this means
> we'll make the submitters pick their best work instead of us having to
> vote on it.
>
> Second, I would like to limit submissions to own work only. While this
> means we are potentially excluding people from the contest, we are
> still making the contest more about the community – not just a
> community curated contest.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
> Pasi

On first reading - you want to increase the submissions by making the
submissions from each person decrease and also by making them less easy
to accomplish?

Seems to me like a quick way to get nowhere fast.

regards

Kev

Re: Community wallpaper contest for 18.04

dave@reklan.co.uk
I like the way we did it last time..

I wouldn't limit the number of submissions by each person..

thats a sure way of not getting enough..

Dave

On 21.09.2017 19:28, flocculant wrote:

> On 21/09/17 13:03, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
>> Hello people,
>>
>> while we are still in the middle of the development cycle for 17.10,
>> I'd like to start the discussion about the potential (although
>> likely) community wallpaper contest for 18.04.
>>
>> We've ran the contest twice now, and the last time we used the
>> WordPress plugin specifically created for this purpose. Does anybody
>> think we need to tweak the tool – either how submissions or voting
>> works? If needed, I can set up a test contest (for the team) to
>> re-evaluate things.
>>
>> That aside, the main thing I wanted to talk about are the policies
>> for the contest. Last time we use the following guidelines:
>>     https://contest.xubuntu.org/help/terms/
>>
>> There are two main things I'd like to propose to change:
>>
>> First, I'd like to limit submissions to a certain number per person.
>> While I'd like to see the number of submissions go up, I would like
>> them to be from a bigger group of people. Additionally, this means
>> we'll make the submitters pick their best work instead of us having
>> to vote on it.
>>
>> Second, I would like to limit submissions to own work only. While
>> this means we are potentially excluding people from the contest, we
>> are still making the contest more about the community – not just a
>> community curated contest.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Pasi
>>
> On first reading - you want to increase the submissions by making the
> submissions from each person decrease and also by making them less
> easy to accomplish?
>
> Seems to me like a quick way to get nowhere fast.
>
> regards
>
> Kev

I said I would like more submissions, but not if it meant one or two
contributors sent over half of the total submission amount...

I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was only team members
(me included) who submitted work from others (that was suitably
licensed, of course). If so, the other limitation would have no impact
at all for the non-team community.

On 21.09.2017 20:12, Dave Pearson wrote:
> I like the way we did it last time..
>
> I wouldn't limit the number of submissions by each person..
>
> thats a sure way of not getting enough..

To comment on this particularly, I think we had enough submitters the
last time and theoretically, if we only considered, say, three from each
submitter, we still had enough material to vote on.

We are also well ahead of the schedule we had the last time; if we want,
we could even run the contest from the beginning of the cycle and all
the way near the UI freeze, which would mean months of submission time.
(That said, I'm not sure making the submission window longer necessarily
means more or higher quality submissions.)

Thanks for the feedback – I want to get this right/better this time, so
better start early...

Cheers,
Pasi

On 21/09/17 18:41, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:

> [...]
> at all for the non-team community.
>
> On 21.09.2017 20:12, Dave Pearson wrote:
>> I like the way we did it last time..
>>
>> I wouldn't limit the number of submissions by each person..
>>
>> thats a sure way of not getting enough..
>
> To comment on this particularly, I think we had enough submitters the
> last time and theoretically, if we only considered, say, three from
> each submitter, we still had enough material to vote on.
>
> We are also well ahead of the schedule we had the last time; if we
> want, we could even run the contest from the beginning of the cycle
> and all the way near the UI freeze, which would mean months of
> submission time. (That said, I'm not sure making the submission window
> longer necessarily means more or higher quality submissions.)
>
> Thanks for the feedback – I want to get this right/better this time,

Bumping this so it's a bit fresher for the BB cycle on Friday :)