Completely supported scanner doesn't work

Completely supported scanner doesn't work

Volker Wysk
Hi

I've got a new flatbed scanner, a Canon CanoScan Lide 300. I had a Canon
CanoScan Lide 220 before, which worked mostly fine. But then the lamp broke.
Both are listed as "completely" supported on the SANE devices page. But that
Lide 300 doesn't work.

"xsane" says:
Failed to open device 'pixma::04A91913': Device busy"

"simple-scans" says:
"Failed to scan. Unable to connect to scanner"

"scanimage -L" says:
device `pixma:04A91913' is a CANON CanoScan LiDE 300 multi-function
peripheral

I'm wondering why the Lide 300 is listed as a "multi-function peripheral".
It's not multi-function. It's just a flatbed scanner.

"scanimage --device=pixma > image.pnm" says:
scanimage: open of device pixma failed: Device busy

"lsusb" says:
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 1058:25ed Western Digital Technologies, Inc. My Book 25ED
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 05e3:0612 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c05b Logitech, Inc. M-U0004 810-001317 [B110 Optical USB Mouse]
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04f2:0402 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd Genius LuxeMate i200 Keyboard
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 04a9:1913 Canon, Inc. USB2.0 Hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub

The Lide 220 and the Lide 300 use different backends. For the 220 it's
"genesys", for the 300 it's "pixma".

Any idea what's wrong?

Regards,
Volker

Re: Completely supported scanner doesn't work

Volker Wysk
Hi

I've found a "driver" from Canon for the Lide 300. It's *not* a SANE driver,
SANE isn't mentioned at all in the web pages. Instead they provide a
program, scangearmp2, which you're supposed to use seemingly. But this thing
doesn't work either, even though they say that it supports Lide 300
scanners.

It gives this error message:

"Cannot find available scanners. Cable may be disconnected or scanner my be
turned off. Check the scanner status and then try again."

Bye
Volker

Re: Completely supported scanner doesn't work

José Mariño

Hi

I think scangearmp2 must be launched from terminal. Open a terminal and type scangearmp2 if you have installed this package yet.

Bye

Jose

O 02/01/21 ás 14:43, Volker Wysk escribiu:
Hi

I've found a "driver" from Canon for the Lide 300. It's *not* a SANE driver,
SANE isn't mentioned at all in the web pages. Instead they provide a
program, scangearmp2, which you're supposed to use seemingly. But this thing
doesn't work either, even though they say that it supports Lide 300
scanners.

It gives this error message:

"Cannot find available scanners. Cable may be disconnected or scanner my be
turned off. Check the scanner status and then try again."

Bye
Volker

Re: Completely supported scanner doesn't work

Robert Heller
At Sat, 02 Jan 2021 14:43:13 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've found a "driver" from Canon for the Lide 300. It's *not* a SANE driver,
> SANE isn't mentioned at all in the web pages. Instead they provide a
> program, scangearmp2, which you're supposed to use seemingly. But this thing
> doesn't work either, even though they say that it supports Lide 300
> scanners.
>
> It gives this error message:
>
> "Cannot find available scanners. Cable may be disconnected or scanner my be
> turned off. Check the scanner status and then try again."

Question: does it work if you run the program as root:

sudo scangearmp2

?

If so, you probably need a udev rule for the device to change ownership and/or
permissions.

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364

Am Samstag, den 02.01.2021, 17:03 +0100 schrieb José Mariño:
> Hi
>
> I think scangearmp2 must be launched from terminal. Open a terminal and
> type scangearmp2 if you have installed this package yet.

Yes, that's what I have done, installed and run it from a terminal.

Am Samstag, den 02.01.2021, 11:09 -0500 schrieb Robert Heller:

> At Sat, 02 Jan 2021 14:43:13 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I've found a "driver" from Canon for the Lide 300. It's *not* a SANE driver,
> > SANE isn't mentioned at all in the web pages. Instead they provide a
> > program, scangearmp2, which you're supposed to use seemingly. But this thing
> > doesn't work either, even though they say that it supports Lide 300
> > scanners.
> >
> > It gives this error message:
> >
> > "Cannot find available scanners. Cable may be disconnected or scanner my be
> > turned off. Check the scanner status and then try again."
>
> Question: does it work if you run the program as root:
>
> sudo scangearmp2
>
> ?
>
> If so, you probably need a udev rule for the device to change ownership and/or
> permissions.
I've tried it. It's the same.

Bye,
Volker

Re: Completely supported scanner doesn't work

Volker Wysk
Hi

I've tried connecting my scanner to my laptop instead of to my desktop. Now
there are *two* devices recognized:

vaio /tmp $ scanimage -L
device `pixma:04A91913' is a CANON CanoScan LiDE 300 multi-function peripheral
device `escl:<a href="http://127.0.0.1:60000'">http://127.0.0.1:60000' is a ESCL LiDE 300 HTTP flatbed scanner

The first one is the same as at my desktop computer. The second one doesn't
work either:

vaio /tmp $ scanimage --device='pixma' > image.pnm
Output format is not set, using pnm as a default.
scanimage: open of device pixma failed: Device busy

vaio /tmp $ scanimage --device=escl > image.pnm
Output format is not set, using pnm as a default.
scanimage: open of device escl failed: Invalid argument

vaio /tmp $ scanimage --device='escl:<a href="http://127.0.0.1:60000'">http://127.0.0.1:60000' > image.pnm
Output format is not set, using pnm as a default.
Capability : [image/jpeg]
Capability : [image/jpeg]
scanimage: rounded value of br-x from 0 to 0
scanimage: rounded value of br-y from 0 to 0
scanimage: sane_start: Invalid argument

Could that be a USB problem?

Puzzled,
Volker

Re: Completely supported scanner doesn't work

Volker Wysk
Hi!

Suddenly my old Canoscan Lide 220 works again! On both my laptop and my
desktop... It's crazy!

Cheers,
V.W.

(SOLVED!) Re: Completely supported scanner doesn't work

Volker Wysk
Hi!!

I've found it on the web [1]. The package ippusbxd needs to be removed, then
the CanoScan Lide 300 works.

"For Ubuntu 20.04, this scanner does not work straight forward. The ippusbxd
driver tries to get the USB device, and it locks it."

$ LANG=C apt show ippusbxd
 ippusbxd is a userland driver for USB devices supporting the IPP USB
 specification. It enables these USB printers to be seen as regular
 network IPP printers.

Bye,
Volker

[1]