Containers with elderly to ancient Linux versions

Containers with elderly to ancient Linux versions

Liam Proven
Anyone tried this?

I have, or had, a VM somewhere with WordPerfect for Linux running on
Ubuntu -- but the last version it works on is Ubuntu 8.04. Having it
in a VM works but is not very satisfactory.

It occurred to me that an Ubuntu 8.04 container -- LXC, Docker,
whatever -- would be a far more elegant way of doing it.

Re: Containers with elderly to ancient Linux versions

Nils Kassube-2
Liam Proven wrote:
> I have, or had, a VM somewhere with WordPerfect for Linux running on
> Ubuntu -- but the last version it works on is Ubuntu 8.04. Having it
> in a VM works but is not very satisfactory.
>
> It occurred to me that an Ubuntu 8.04 container -- LXC, Docker,
> whatever -- would be a far more elegant way of doing it.

For a similar task I use schroot - have a look at
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DebootstrapChroot>. And please note
that you need http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu as archive for the
debootstrap command (instead of http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/)
because hardy is no longer available in the standard repositories.

Nils

On 15 February 2017 at 18:55, Nils Kassube <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For a similar task I use schroot - have a look at
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DebootstrapChroot>. And please note
> that you need http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu as archive for the
> debootstrap command (instead of http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/)
> because hardy is no longer available in the standard repositories.

Interesting -- I had not met that before. Why is it preferable to
using, say, LXC, may I ask?

Liam Proven wrote:
> On 15 February 2017 at 18:55, Nils Kassube <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > For a similar task I use schroot - have a look at
> > <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DebootstrapChroot>. And please
> > note that you need http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu as archive
> > for the debootstrap command (instead of
> > http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/) because hardy is no longer
> > available in the standard repositories.
> Interesting -- I had not met that before. Why is it preferable to
> using, say, LXC, may I ask?

I never played with LXC, but it seems to be a similar approach. For me
it was preferable because it was the first solution I found. As it
worked, I didn't have to search any further. :)

Nils

Re: Containers with elderly to ancient Linux versions

Oliver Grawert
hi,
On Mi, 2017-02-15 at 21:11 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:

> Liam Proven wrote:
> >
> > On 15 February 2017 at 18:55, Nils Kassube <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > For a similar task I use schroot - have a look at
> > > <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DebootstrapChroot>. And please
> > > note that you need http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu as
> > > archive
> > > for the debootstrap command (instead of
> > > http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/) because hardy is no longer
> > > available in the standard repositories.
> > Interesting -- I had not met that before. Why is it preferable to
> > using, say, LXC, may I ask?
>
> I never played with LXC, but it seems to be a similar approach. For
> me
> it was preferable because it was the first solution I found. As it
> worked, I didn't have to search any further. :)

lxc gives you your own /proc, /dev and /sys (instead of just bind
mounting the host ones) and a large amount of containerization through
namespaces and cgroups, while schroot only gives you a pimped chroot.

they are quite different technologies, lxc is largely a VM without the
extra emulation layer (it is as fast as a chroot but behaves like a
full VM) ;)

ciao
        oli

On 16 February 2017 at 01:00, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> they are quite different technologies, lxc is largely a VM without the
> extra emulation layer (it is as fast as a chroot but behaves like a
> full VM) ;)

It /really/ is not, you know.

You might find the series of articles on container technologies on The
Register interesting, or the Amazon Kindle e-book "A Brief History of
Virtualisation".

Author, a chap called "Liam Proven". ;¬)

LXC is a container system, just like Docker.

Ubuntu's LXD is based on LXC and makes the containers look more like
VMs, with their own disks, network interfaces, etc., but it's still
containers underneath.

Am Donnerstag, den 16.02.2017, 01:30 +0100 schrieb Liam Proven:

> LXC is a container system, just like Docker.
>
> Ubuntu's LXD is based on LXC and makes the containers look more like
> VMs, with their own disks, network interfaces, etc., but it's still
> containers underneath.

yes, apologies, happens all the time to me that i mix up lxc and lxd :)
(i have't used lxc standalone in ages, somehow they always get
equivalent in my head ... i'm sure lxe or lxf will fix that :P )

ciao
        oli

Re: Containers with elderly to ancient Linux versions

Tom H-4
On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 1:55 PM, Nils Kassube <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> I have, or had, a VM somewhere with WordPerfect for Linux running on
>> Ubuntu -- but the last version it works on is Ubuntu 8.04. Having it
>> in a VM works but is not very satisfactory.
>>
>> It occurred to me that an Ubuntu 8.04 container -- LXC, Docker,
>> whatever -- would be a far more elegant way of doing it.
>
> For a similar task I use schroot.

Nils: They aren't really comparable. schroot is a wrapper around
chroot whereas lxc uses chroot but it also leverages other system
features like kernel capabilities, namespaces, and cgroups.

Liam: You'll be better off using a container, resource-wise, if WP
doesn't need an exclusively 8.04 environment. To set up a container
for a GUI app

https://stgraber.org/2014/02/09/lxc-1-0-gui-in-containers/

but Google might give you more recent howtos.

On 16 February 2017 at 18:01, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Liam: You'll be better off using a container, resource-wise

This was my thought, yes.

> if WP
> doesn't need an exclusively 8.04 environment.

Can you clarify what that means?

> To set up a container
> for a GUI app
>
> https://stgraber.org/2014/02/09/lxc-1-0-gui-in-containers/
>
> but Google might give you more recent howtos.

That's interesting. I've met Stephane Graber; he's one of the lead
architects of Ubuntu's LXD container system.

But it's 12.04 which is way too recent for WP, alas.