Correct posting format

P. Echols
New to the list (newly returned actually).

I want to get off on the right foot with correct posting format. I can figure out bottom posting and proper quoting in the various gmail phone clients. But can't find a setting to turn off HTML format for this list.

Any thoughts / guidance?

Thanks,
Echo

Re: Correct posting format

Colin Law
On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 at 21:50, P. Echols <[hidden email]> wrote:

> New to the list (newly returned actually).
>
> I want to get off on the right foot with correct posting format. I can figure out bottom posting and proper quoting in the various gmail
phone clients. But can't find a setting to turn off HTML format for this list.

Do you mean you can't find how to turn off html in your email client?
If so then unless you tell us what client you are using then it is
difficult to answer.  However I see that you have a gmail address, so
if you are using the gmail web interface then in the window where you
enter the email text, at the bottom next to the waste bin there are
three vertical dots. Click that and select Plain Text mode.

Colin

> Any thoughts / guidance?
>
> Thanks,
> Echo

Re: Correct posting format

Wade Smart-2
> Do you mean you can't find how to turn off html in your email client?
> If so then unless you tell us what client you are using then it is
> difficult to answer.
>
> Colins

.. gmail phone clients

Re: Correct posting format

Wade Smart-2
> I want to get off on the right foot with correct posting format. I can figure out bottom posting and proper quoting in the various gmail phone clients. But can't find a setting to turn off HTML format for this list.
>
> Any thoughts / guidance?
>
> Thanks,
> Echo

Playing around with my gmail account - from the phone I do not see a
way to do so.
You can find many forums talking about this going back to 2009.
Apparently google
doesnt want to address this.

Re: Correct posting format

Peter Flynn
On 14/07/2019 21:47, P. Echols wrote:
> New to the list (newly returned actually).
>
> I want to get off on the right foot with correct posting format. I can
> figure out bottom posting and proper quoting in the various gmail phone
> clients. But can't find a setting to turn off HTML format for this list.

HTML is not a list setting, it's something set in your email program.

In mine (Thunderbird) it's in Account Settings > Composition and
Addressing > Compose messages in HTML Format (uncheck)

Welcome

Peter

Re: Correct posting format

P. Echols
On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 1:59 PM Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 at 21:50, P. Echols <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > New to the list (newly returned actually).
> >
> > I want to get off on the right foot with correct posting format. I can figure out bottom posting and proper quoting in the various gmail
> phone clients. But can't find a setting to turn off HTML format for this list.
>
> Do you mean you can't find how to turn off html in your email client?
> If so then unless you tell us what client you are using then it is
> difficult to answer.  However I see that you have a gmail address, so
> if you are using the gmail web interface then in the window where you
> enter the email text, at the bottom next to the waste bin there are
> three vertical dots. Click that and select Plain Text mode.

Thanks Colin, Wade was correct I was referring to an android phone
client.  But I suppose I can use the web client and try and remember
each post.  When I was a member before, I connected via Thunderbird
and could set preferences per email address as to how to deliver,
including both text and bottom post.

Appreciate the input,
Echo

Re: Correct posting format

P. Echols
On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 3:30 PM Peter Flynn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14/07/2019 21:47, P. Echols wrote:
> > New to the list (newly returned actually).
> >
> > I want to get off on the right foot with correct posting format. I can
> > figure out bottom posting and proper quoting in the various gmail phone
> > clients. But can't find a setting to turn off HTML format for this list.
>
> HTML is not a list setting, it's something set in your email program.

Thanks,
My question was not specific enough.  I'm using gmail and was
specifically interested in web clients and android phone clients since
that is where I read this address.
regards,
Echo

Re: Correct posting format

Wade Smart-2
--

> Thanks,
> My question was not specific enough.  I'm using gmail and was
> specifically interested in web clients and android phone clients since
> that is where I read this address.
> regards,
> Echo

If you are on your phone and log into gmail through a browser, or at
least through Firefox as that is what I tested with, or you are in a
pc based browser, bottom right of the window by the Trash can
are three dots. Click the three dots can click Plain Text Mode.
If you are using the app on your phone, you cant do it. If you login
through the browser and it defaults to mobile, remove the "m"
from the url or find the text that says - desktop version.

Wade

Re: Correct posting format

Wade Smart-2
> If you are on your phone and log into gmail through a browser, or at
> least through Firefox as that is what I tested with, or you are in a
> pc based browser, bottom right of the window by the Trash can
> are three dots. Click the three dots can click Plain Text Mode.
> If you are using the app on your phone, you cant do it. If you login
> through the browser and it defaults to mobile, remove the "m"
> from the url or find the text that says - desktop version.
>
> Wade

OK.. I was wrong.
I was writing it as I was doing it and I thought it was working but
it was not. On your phone, on the desktop vs or the app, you cant
select Plain Text. It tried to load the "new" gmail look but then went
to the basic html site over and over when I tried to send. Sorry
for telling you wrong.

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Re: Correct posting format

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 at 22:51, P. Echols <[hidden email]> wrote:

> New to the list (newly returned actually).
>
> I want to get off on the right foot with correct posting format. I can figure out bottom posting and proper quoting in the various gmail phone clients. But can't find a setting to turn off HTML format for this list.
>
> Any thoughts / guidance?

Plain text and bottom quoting in the Google Android client?  I don't
think you can. Bottom posting by manual editing is labour-intensive
but doable. Plain text, no.

I just don't reply to list emails from phone/tablet. If I want to, I
mark it unread for later attention from a desktop.

If you really want it, I think K9 Mail is the only way.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9&hl=en