Create "Live USB" withinn Ububntu

ubuntu-users mailing list
Hi All

I would like to find a (preferably GUI) tool to create a "Live USB" with
persistance from Ubuntu, I have so far used (mainly)

"123 Universial USB Installer" or "Rufus"

Boh had minor probs, 123 of late failed "IF" the internal formating function
was used but would work if USB was pre-formated "outside" of 123, persistance
was never a problem, but the last few versions have not even made a bootable
Live USB (with or without Persistance)

Rufus has always worked fine but does not have persistance feature

so I tried YUMI Multiboot, has persistance but again cant seem to make a
bootable USB

LinuxLiveUSBInstaller (LiLi) has all the functions required (GUI a bit too
garish for me, but beggers...) works fine (so far) but AFAICS has not been
updated in 2.5 years, so always comes back saying "Distro not in compatibility
list but will try..."

So are there any GUI USB installers with persistance for Ubuntu, I have googled
and found many for windows but nothing else really

Re: Create "Live USB" withinn Ububntu

Liam Proven
On 30 November 2017 at 12:50, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to find a (preferably GUI) tool to create a "Live USB" with
> persistance from Ubuntu, I have so far used (mainly)

You name only Windows tools, AFAICS. Is that intentional?

On Ubuntu, the system disk creator is built in. There is also Unetbootin.

Re: Create "Live USB" withinn Ububntu

ubuntu-users mailing list
30 November 2017  at 13:08, Liam Proven wrote:
Re: Create "Live USB" withinn Ububn (at least in part)

>On 30 November 2017 at 12:50, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
><[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I would like to find a (preferably GUI) tool to create a "Live USB" with
>> persistance from Ubuntu, I have so far used (mainly)

>You name only Windows tools, AFAICS. Is that intentional?

I did name windows tools, they were the ones I found most useful and "if it
ain't broke..." but as I noted now to some extent it is broke (3 of 4 don't do
the job, and the 4th is old & ugly) and I hoped to try/use native Ubuntu tools

>On Ubuntu, the system disk creator is built in. There is also Unetbootin.

Thanks I'll try both and see

Re: Create "Live USB" withinn Ububntu

Colin Law
On 30 November 2017 at 12:08, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 30 November 2017 at 12:50, Grizzly via ubuntu-users
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to find a (preferably GUI) tool to create a "Live USB" with
>> persistance from Ubuntu, I have so far used (mainly)
>
> You name only Windows tools, AFAICS. Is that intentional?
>
> On Ubuntu, the system disk creator is built in. There is also Unetbootin.

A typo there I think, that is Startup Disk Creator.

Colin

On 30 November 2017 at 14:46, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A typo there I think, that is Startup Disk Creator.

I think you're right. I usually get it wrong and have to Google when I
can't work out why the app search function can't find it. I should
have checked.

Re: Create "Live USB" withinn Ububntu

compdoc
On 11/30/2017 04:50 AM, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:

> I would like to find a (preferably GUI) tool to create a "Live USB" with
> persistance from Ubuntu, I have so far used (mainly)

Avoid using Unetbootin.

30 November 2017  at 7:38, compdoc wrote:
Re: Create "Live USB" withinn Ububn (at least in part)

>On 11/30/2017 04:50 AM, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:
>
>> I would like to find a (preferably GUI) tool to create a "Live USB" with
>> persistance from Ubuntu, I have so far used (mainly)

>Avoid using Unetbootin.

Spill, what are the problems with it?

Re: Create "Live USB" withinn Ububntu

Phil Dobbin
On 30/11/17 11:50, Grizzly via ubuntu-users wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I would like to find a (preferably GUI) tool to create a "Live USB" with
> persistance from Ubuntu, I have so far used (mainly)
>
> "123 Universial USB Installer" or "Rufus"
>
> Boh had minor probs, 123 of late failed "IF" the internal formating function
> was used but would work if USB was pre-formated "outside" of 123, persistance
> was never a problem, but the last few versions have not even made a bootable
> Live USB (with or without Persistance)
>
> Rufus has always worked fine but does not have persistance feature
>
> so I tried YUMI Multiboot, has persistance but again cant seem to make a
> bootable USB
>
> LinuxLiveUSBInstaller (LiLi) has all the functions required (GUI a bit too
> garish for me, but beggers...) works fine (so far) but AFAICS has not been
> updated in 2.5 years, so always comes back saying "Distro not in compatibility
> list but will try..."
>
> So are there any GUI USB installers with persistance for Ubuntu, I have googled
> and found many for windows but nothing else really
I've had great success using <https://etcher.io/> & would recommend it.
However if you're sticking to making Ubuntu CD/DVD/USB the inbuilt
Startup Disk Creator is pretty reliable & is virtually bulletproof to use.

Cheers,

  Phil.

--
an infinite number of monkeys typing into GNU emacs would never make a
good program

30 November 2017  at 18:26, Phil Dobbin wrote:
Re: Create "Live USB" withinn Ububn (at least in part)

>On 30/11/17 11:50, Grizzly wrote:

>> So are there any GUI USB installers with persistance for Ubuntu, I have googled
>> and found many for windows but nothing else really
>
>I've had great success using <https://etcher.io/> & would recommend it.
>However if you're sticking to making Ubuntu CD/DVD/USB the inbuilt
>Startup Disk Creator is pretty reliable & is virtually bulletproof to use.

Most times it will be a Ubuntu Distro iso to USB, but I do make other live
USB's so software that is not limited to "just" Ubuntu (in all flavours) would
be great