Cron.Hourly

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Cron.Hourly

Joshua Martin-2
Why is the /etc/cron.hourly directory missing in Ubuntu 8.10 Virtual Machine?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cron.Hourly

Derek Broughton-2
Joshua Martin wrote:

> Why is the /etc/cron.hourly directory missing in Ubuntu 8.10 Virtual
> Machine?

You don't have cron installed?  No idea if cron _should_ be installed by
default, but /etc/cron.hourly is part of the cron package.
--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cron.Hourly

Joshua Martin-2
To my surprise, that was the answer!

However, there must be some kind of minimalist cron version installed by default on the virtual machine because there is a cron.daily and cron.weekly in /etc - and those directories have files in them.

Sorry for being a bother :)

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cron.Hourly

Matthew Flaschen
Joshua Martin wrote:
> To my surprise, that was the answer!
>
> However, there must be some kind of minimalist cron version installed by
> default on the virtual machine because there is a cron.daily and
> cron.weekly in /etc - and those directories have files in them.

These are installed by anacron.

Matt Flaschen

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Cron.Hourly

Dominique Dos Santos
Hi

Sorry but i have no clue, and am not able to answer

Dominique

Computer Traders
Cnr Meade & Albert
George 6530
tel 044 874 0104

> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 06:43:22 -0500
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Cron.Hourly
>
> Joshua Martin wrote:
> > To my surprise, that was the answer!
> >
> > However, there must be some kind of minimalist cron version installed by
> > default on the virtual machine because there is a cron.daily and
> > cron.weekly in /etc - and those directories have files in them.
>
> These are installed by anacron.
>
> Matt Flaschen
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


Join the all-new Windows Live Messenger family Click here!
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cron.Hourly

Derek Broughton-2
In reply to this post by Joshua Martin-2
Joshua Martin wrote:

> To my surprise, that was the answer!
>
> However, there must be some kind of minimalist cron version installed
> by default on the virtual machine because there is a cron.daily and
> cron.weekly in /etc - and those directories have files in them.
>
> Sorry for being a bother :)

Matthew may be right about anacron - though I can't imagine why anacron
would be installed if cron isn't.  It was a surprise to me that cron isn't
a hard dependency for anacron.

In any case, _many_ packages will create those directories - I count 22
on my system.  IE, any package that _does_ set up a daily cron task will
create /etc/cron.daily if it doesn't already exist.

--
derek


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Cron.Hourly

Tony Arnold-3
Derek,

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Matthew may be right about anacron - though I can't imagine why anacron
> would be installed if cron isn't.  It was a surprise to me that cron isn't
> a hard dependency for anacron.

There are other events that invoke anacron. On start up and when a
laptop switches to mains power are two that I am aware of.

On my machine, cron just starts up anacron at 07.30 every morning! And
I've not changed this from the default.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold,                        Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security,                Fax: +44 (0) 870 136 1004
University of Manchester,           Mob: +44 (0) 773 330 0039
Manchester M13 9PL.                 Email: [hidden email]

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Cron.Hourly

Mario Vukelic
In reply to this post by Dominique Dos Santos
On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 15:21 +0200, Dominique Dos Santos wrote:
>
> Sorry but i have no clue, and am not able to answer

Please don't post this every time this is the case ;)


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
[hidden email]
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users