Cron not working in 20.10?

david-5
Folks

I have a suspicion that cron isn't working in Ubuntu 20.10 server.  I
have an entry in a user's crontab:  (real addresses hidden)

  crontab -l
MAILTO=[hidden email]
MAILFROM=[hidden email]
DOCUMENT_ROOT=/home1/exxx/public_html
NOPRINT=1
@reboot perl public_html/0/cgi/80_reboot_scan.crn
38 * * * * perl public_html/0/cgi/90_hourly.crn
52 * * * * perl public_html/0/cgi/90_resync.crn
*/5 * * * * perl public_html/0/cgi/99_renew.crn
exxx@elk:~$

None of the entries appear to execute; many produce e-mails to me
which are not arriving.

Similar crontab entries work fine on Centos 7, Centos 8.  The output
of "systemctl status cron" shows it active, enabled, and no diagnostics.

Where should I look?

David

Re: Cron not working in 20.10?

Francis Grizzly Smit

On 03/12/2020 11:48, david wrote:
> Folks
>
> I have a suspicion that cron isn't working in Ubuntu 20.10 server.  I
> have an entry in a user's crontab:  (real addresses hidden)
it's working on 20.10 desktop
$ crontab -l
# Edit this file to introduce tasks to be run by cron.
#
# Each task to run has to be defined through a single line
# indicating with different fields when the task will be run
# and what command to run for the task
#
# To define the time you can provide concrete values for
# minute (m), hour (h), day of month (dom), month (mon),
# and day of week (dow) or use '*' in these fields (for 'any').
#
# Notice that tasks will be started based on the cron's system
# daemon's notion of time and timezones.
#
# Output of the crontab jobs (including errors) is sent through
# email to the user the crontab file belongs to (unless redirected).
#
# For example, you can run a backup of all your user accounts
# at 5 a.m every week with:
# 0 5 * * 1 tar -zcf /var/backups/home.tgz /home/
#
# For more information see the manual pages of crontab(5) and cron(8)
#
# m h  dom mon dow   command
2  22   *   *   *    echo Fred >> ~/tmp/fred.tmp
22:02:16 θ67° grizzlysmit@pern:~ $ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Release:    20.10
Codename:    groovy

and in another term
$ tail -F tmp/fred.tmp
tail: cannot open 'tmp/fred.tmp' for reading: No such file or directory
tail: 'tmp/fred.tmp' has appeared;  following new file
Fred

--

    .~.     In my life God comes first....
    /V\         but Linux is pretty high after that :-D

Re: Cron not working in 20.10?

Colin Law
On Thu, 3 Dec 2020 at 00:51, david <[hidden email]> wrote:

> None of the entries appear to execute; many produce e-mails to me
> which are not arriving.

I don't understand that comment.  Do you mean it is logging the fact
that is sending the emails, but they are not actually being sent?  If
so then I think that means that cron is working ok but for some reason
the invoked task is not functioning.  Perhaps you are connecting via
wifi but the wifi has not yet connected when the task runs.
Alternatively there could be some other reason why the task is
failing.

Cron