Cross compilation for ARM

Amit Kucheria-6
Hi Kernel team,

In case you haven't done so already, consider using the Linaro
cross-toolchain for your ARM work.

I've blogged a howto here:
http://idlethread.blogspot.com/2010/09/cross-compilation-redux.html

Cheers,
Amit

Re: Cross compilation for ARM

Tim Gardner-2
On 09/08/2010 06:21 AM, Amit Kucheria wrote:

> Hi Kernel team,
>
> In case you haven't done so already, consider using the Linaro
> cross-toolchain for your ARM work.
>
> I've blogged a howto here:
> http://idlethread.blogspot.com/2010/09/cross-compilation-redux.html
>
> Cheers,
> Amit

Amit - there are some errors in your recipe:

Add ".list" to the name of the PPA reference:

echo "deb
http://people.canonical.com/~hrw/ubuntu-maverick-armel-cross-compilers/
./" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cross-compile.list

Looks like you misspelled libcloop (i.e., libcloog) when describing the
directions for Lucid.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner [hidden email]

On 10 Sep 08, Tim Gardner wrote:

> On 09/08/2010 06:21 AM, Amit Kucheria wrote:
> >Hi Kernel team,
> >
> >In case you haven't done so already, consider using the Linaro
> >cross-toolchain for your ARM work.
> >
> >I've blogged a howto here:
> >http://idlethread.blogspot.com/2010/09/cross-compilation-redux.html
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Amit
> >

> Amit - there are some errors in your recipe:
>
> Add ".list" to the name of the PPA reference:
>
> echo "deb http://people.canonical.com/~hrw/ubuntu-maverick-armel-cross-compilers/
> ./" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cross-compile.list

Fixed.

> Looks like you misspelled libcloop (i.e., libcloog) when describing
> the directions for Lucid.

That bit is correct. I later found another wiki page describing the process:
https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/ToolChain/CrossCompilerOnLucid

But there is a problem with the 'debuild' command. It'll fail with complaints
of libelf/libdw missing.

I'll cook up a command with dpkg-cross when I get a chance.

On 09/08/2010 07:49 AM, Amit Kucheria wrote:

> On 10 Sep 08, Tim Gardner wrote:
>> On 09/08/2010 06:21 AM, Amit Kucheria wrote:
>>> Hi Kernel team,
>>>
>>> In case you haven't done so already, consider using the Linaro
>>> cross-toolchain for your ARM work.
>>>
>>> I've blogged a howto here:
>>> http://idlethread.blogspot.com/2010/09/cross-compilation-redux.html
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Amit
>>>

>> Amit - there are some errors in your recipe:
>>
>> Add ".list" to the name of the PPA reference:
>>
>> echo "deb http://people.canonical.com/~hrw/ubuntu-maverick-armel-cross-compilers/
>> ./" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cross-compile.list
>
> Fixed.
>
>> Looks like you misspelled libcloop (i.e., libcloog) when describing
>> the directions for Lucid.
>
> That bit is correct. I later found another wiki page describing the process:
> https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/ToolChain/CrossCompilerOnLucid
>
> But there is a problem with the 'debuild' command. It'll fail with complaints
> of libelf/libdw missing.
>
> I'll cook up a command with dpkg-cross when I get a chance.

Actually, it really is 'cloog'. I just didn't search Maverick sufficiently.

The basic binary flavour cross compile works OK, but I'm having some
issues with compiling perf as well as some complaints about foreign
arches in deb descriptions, e.g., "dh_gencontrol: dpkg-gencontrol
-plinux-image-2.6.35-903-omap4 -ldebian/changelog
-Tdebian/linux-image-2.6.35-903-omap4.substvars
-Pdebian/linux-image-2.6.35-903-omap4 returned exit code 255".

On the other hand, compiling the binary flavours goes _really_ fast,
which is nice. I'll send out a note once I have it all figured out.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner [hidden email]