Cross compiling perf for omap will fail during kernel building

Cross compiling perf for omap will fail during kernel building

Bryan Wu-5
Tim,

As I am working on preparing 2.6.35 based omap4 branch, I found a
building issue in our master branch.

If I am using following cross compiling command to generate kernel
packages, it will try to cross compile perf tools. But the building
will fail due to some library missing the popular CodeSourcery 2010q1
arm toolchain.

fdr clean && export $(dpkg-architecture -aarmel) &&
CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- fdr binary-arch binary-udebs

----
Preparing perarch ...
install -d /home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/build/tools-
for i in *; do ln -s /home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/$i
/home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/build/tools-/; done
rm /home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/build/tools-/tools
rsync -a tools/ /home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/build/tools-/tools/
touch /home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/stamps/stamp-prepare-perarch
cd /home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/build/tools-/tools/perf && make
make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/build/tools-/tools/perf'
Makefile:512: No libdw.h found or old libdw.h found or elfutils is
older than 0.138, disables dwarf support. Please install new
elfutils-devel/libdw-dev
Makefile:548: *** No libelf.h/libelf found, please install
libelf-dev/elfutils-libelf-devel and glibc-dev[el].  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/build/tools-/tools/perf'
make: *** [/home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/stamps/stamp-build-perarch]
Error 2
----

Do we always build and packaging perf for armel? But I think it is OK
in our schroot environment, I will test it soon.

And if I just us 'fdr binary-omap' or 'fdr binary-omap4', it works
fine and we get the kernel package.

Any idea about that?

Thanks a lot.
--
Bryan Wu <[hidden email]>
Kernel Developer    +86.138-1617-6545 Mobile

Re: Cross compiling perf for omap will fail during kernel building

Tim Gardner-2
On 08/26/2010 07:17 PM, Bryan Wu wrote:

> Tim,
>
> As I am working on preparing 2.6.35 based omap4 branch, I found a
> building issue in our master branch.
>
> If I am using following cross compiling command to generate kernel
> packages, it will try to cross compile perf tools. But the building
> will fail due to some library missing the popular CodeSourcery 2010q1
> arm toolchain.
>
> fdr clean&&  export $(dpkg-architecture -aarmel)&&
> CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- fdr binary-arch binary-udebs
>
> ----
> Preparing perarch ...
> install -d /home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/build/tools-
> for i in *; do ln -s /home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/$i
> /home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/build/tools-/; done
> rm /home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/build/tools-/tools
> rsync -a tools/ /home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/build/tools-/tools/
> touch /home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/stamps/stamp-prepare-perarch
> cd /home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/build/tools-/tools/perf&&  make
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/build/tools-/tools/perf'
> Makefile:512: No libdw.h found or old libdw.h found or elfutils is
> older than 0.138, disables dwarf support. Please install new
> elfutils-devel/libdw-dev
> Makefile:548: *** No libelf.h/libelf found, please install
> libelf-dev/elfutils-libelf-devel and glibc-dev[el].  Stop.
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/build/tools-/tools/perf'
> make: *** [/home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/stamps/stamp-build-perarch]
> Error 2
> ----
>
> Do we always build and packaging perf for armel? But I think it is OK
> in our schroot environment, I will test it soon.
>
> And if I just us 'fdr binary-omap' or 'fdr binary-omap4', it works
> fine and we get the kernel package.
>
> Any idea about that?
>
> Thanks a lot.

I haven't done much cross compiling since I got the armel schroots
working. I don't think you should let perf cross compile issues hold you
up since I will do a full armel schroot build before uploading.

I think I'll let the Linaro folks figure out perf cross compile problems.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner [hidden email]

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Tim Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/26/2010 07:17 PM, Bryan Wu wrote:
>>
>> Tim,
>>
>> As I am working on preparing 2.6.35 based omap4 branch, I found a
>> building issue in our master branch.
>>
>> If I am using following cross compiling command to generate kernel
>> packages, it will try to cross compile perf tools. But the building
>> will fail due to some library missing the popular CodeSourcery 2010q1
>> arm toolchain.
>>
>> fdr clean&&  export $(dpkg-architecture -aarmel)&&
>> CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- fdr binary-arch binary-udebs
>>
>> ----
>> Preparing perarch ...
>> install -d /home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/build/tools-
>> for i in *; do ln -s /home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/$i
>> /home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/build/tools-/; done
>> rm /home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/build/tools-/tools
>> rsync -a tools/ /home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/build/tools-/tools/
>> touch /home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/stamps/stamp-prepare-perarch
>> cd /home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/build/tools-/tools/perf&&  make
>> make[1]: Entering directory
>> `/home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/build/tools-/tools/perf'
>> Makefile:512: No libdw.h found or old libdw.h found or elfutils is
>> older than 0.138, disables dwarf support. Please install new
>> elfutils-devel/libdw-dev
>> Makefile:548: *** No libelf.h/libelf found, please install
>> libelf-dev/elfutils-libelf-devel and glibc-dev[el].  Stop.
>> make[1]: Leaving directory
>> `/home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/build/tools-/tools/perf'
>> make: ***
>> [/home/roc/Work/ubuntu-maverick/debian/stamps/stamp-build-perarch]
>> Error 2
>> ----
>>
>> Do we always build and packaging perf for armel? But I think it is OK
>> in our schroot environment, I will test it soon.
>>
>> And if I just us 'fdr binary-omap' or 'fdr binary-omap4', it works
>> fine and we get the kernel package.
>>
>> Any idea about that?
>>
>> Thanks a lot.
>
> I haven't done much cross compiling since I got the armel schroots working.
> I don't think you should let perf cross compile issues hold you up since I
> will do a full armel schroot build before uploading.
>
> I think I'll let the Linaro folks figure out perf cross compile problems.

I just checked the master branch setting, it will build linux-tools
packages if the /tools dir is existed. So it will also try to build
the perf on my ti-omap4 branch.

schroot building works fine with linux-tools, I've just tested on our
building machine. So that's a issue about CodeSourcery's 2010q1
toolchain.

Thanks,
-Bryan

Re: Cross compiling perf for omap will fail during kernel building

Amit Kucheria-6
On 10 Aug 27, Bryan Wu wrote:
> schroot building works fine with linux-tools, I've just tested on our
> building machine. So that's a issue about CodeSourcery's 2010q1
> toolchain.

That'll teach you something about trusting new CS toolchains :)

Re: Cross compiling perf for omap will fail during kernel building

Ricardo Salveti de Araujo-7
On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 12:47:38PM +0300, Amit Kucheria wrote:
> On 10 Aug 27, Bryan Wu wrote:
> > schroot building works fine with linux-tools, I've just tested on our
> > building machine. So that's a issue about CodeSourcery's 2010q1
> > toolchain.
>
> That'll teach you something about trusting new CS toolchains :)

That's why I'd suggest you trying hrw's cross compilers, from linaro:
http://people.canonical.com/~hrw/ubuntu-maverick-armel-cross-compilers/

In case of any problem just ping them or open bugs, much easier :-)

Ricardo Salveti de Araujo

On 10 Aug 27, Ricardo Salveti de Araujo wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 12:47:38PM +0300, Amit Kucheria wrote:
> > On 10 Aug 27, Bryan Wu wrote:
> > > schroot building works fine with linux-tools, I've just tested on our
> > > building machine. So that's a issue about CodeSourcery's 2010q1
> > > toolchain.
> >
> > That'll teach you something about trusting new CS toolchains :)
>
> That's why I'd suggest you trying hrw's cross compilers, from linaro:
> http://people.canonical.com/~hrw/ubuntu-maverick-armel-cross-compilers/
>
> In case of any problem just ping them or open bugs, much easier :-)

Agreed. Keep in mind though, that these are Maverick-only, currently.

You can install the maverick dependencies on lucid and try the toolchain if
you wish.

/Amit