DVD Burning with K3b

Gayal
Hi,
I have a DVD RW Writer in my laptop.  I  use win XP to burn DVDs. But had errors on Imation DVD+R | 16X with a writing speed of 8X.
When i use Kubuntu K3b it worked perfect for me with the same DVD. No errors at all.
Is this possible? After all it's the same piece of Hardware i am using.
--
Gayal Rupasinghe

Re: DVD Burning with K3b

yonas Abraham-2
On 9/22/06, Gayal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a DVD RW Writer in my laptop.  I  use win XP to burn DVDs. But had
> errors on Imation DVD+R | 16X with a writing speed of 8X.
> When i use Kubuntu K3b it worked perfect for me with the same DVD. No errors
> at all.
> Is this possible? After all it's the same piece of Hardware i am using.
> --
> Gayal Rupasinghe

are you using the some image file in both cases?

Re: DVD Burning with K3b

albi@scii.nl
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 20:17:31 +0600
Gayal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a DVD RW Writer in my laptop.  I  use win XP to burn DVDs. But
> had errors on Imation DVD+R | 16X with a writing speed of 8X.
> When i use Kubuntu K3b it worked perfect for me with the same DVD. No
> errors at all.
> Is this possible? After all it's the same piece of Hardware i am
> using. --

i can imagine it's possible, few years ago there was a serious issue
with LG-cdroms and a certain linux-kernel in mandrake linux (now
mandriva)

see here :
http://hardware.newsforge.com/print.pl?sid=03/10/27/0218209

quote : "reveals that CD-ROM is physically dead."

so, yes, certain software can damage hardware ;-)

--
grtjs,
albi

Re: DVD Burning with K3b

Gayal
yes the same iso file.

On 9/22/06, yonas Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 9/22/06, Gayal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a DVD RW Writer in my laptop.  I  use win XP to burn DVDs. But had
> errors on Imation DVD+R | 16X with a writing speed of 8X.
> When i use Kubuntu K3b it worked perfect for me with the same DVD. No errors
> at all.
> Is this possible? After all it's the same piece of Hardware i am using.
> --
> Gayal Rupasinghe

are you using the some image file in both cases?

Gayal Rupasinghe
SU-APIIT
"The willingness to make a commitment even when results are unknown."

Re: DVD Burning with K3b

yonas Abraham-2
On 9/22/06, Gayal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> yes the same iso file.
>

> On 9/22/06, yonas Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 9/22/06, Gayal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I have a DVD RW Writer in my laptop.  I  use win XP to burn DVDs. But
> had
> > > errors on Imation DVD+R | 16X with a writing speed of 8X.
> > > When i use Kubuntu K3b it worked perfect for me with the same DVD. No
> errors
> > > at all.
> > > Is this possible? After all it's the same piece of Hardware i am using.
> > > --
> > > Gayal Rupasinghe
> >
> > are you using the some image file in both cases?

it is possible as you probably are using diffrent drivers (linux
driver and xp driveres).

Re: DVD Burning with K3b

Gayal
Can software destroy Hardware?

On 9/22/06, yonas Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 9/22/06, Gayal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> yes the same iso file.
>

> On 9/22/06, yonas Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 9/22/06, Gayal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I have a DVD RW Writer in my laptop.  I  use win XP to burn DVDs. But
> had
> > > errors on Imation DVD+R | 16X with a writing speed of 8X.
> > > When i use Kubuntu K3b it worked perfect for me with the same DVD. No
> errors
> > > at all.
> > > Is this possible? After all it's the same piece of Hardware i am using.
> > > --
> > > Gayal Rupasinghe
> >
> > are you using the some image file in both cases?

it is possible as you probably are using diffrent drivers (linux
driver and xp driveres).

Gayal Rupasinghe
SU-APIIT
"The willingness to make a commitment even when results are unknown."

Re: DVD Burning with K3b

Adriano Varoli Piazza
2006/9/22, Gayal <[hidden email]>:
> Can software destroy Hardware?

Yes, certainly. Not all of it, but nowadays, a badly done firmware
upgrade leaves you without a mobo, a badly done firmware for a
dvd-reader makes the software break it (the mandriva case), a
specially-tailored program could "burn-through" the max number of
writes on a flash memory, etc. The correct answer is "it depends on
the software, but mostly, yes".
--
Adriano Varoli Piazza
The Inside Out: http://moranar.com.ar

Re: DVD Burning with K3b

Mo Pringles
Gayal schreef:
> Hi,
> I have a DVD RW Writer in my laptop.  I  use win XP to burn DVDs. But had
> errors on Imation DVD+R | 16X with a writing speed of 8X.
> When i use Kubuntu K3b it worked perfect for me with the same DVD. No
> errors
> at all.
> Is this possible? After all it's the same piece of Hardware i am using.

I got a similar experience. When I burn DVD RW's I've already used
before, under Windows, the result is a very unstable image. When I burn
them under K3b, it plays (almost) flawless.
--
Regards Mo

Re: DVD Burning with K3b

Steve Flynn
On 22/09/06, Mo Pringles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I got a similar experience. When I burn DVD RW's I've already used
> before, under Windows, the result is a very unstable image. When I burn
> them under K3b, it plays (almost) flawless.

I'd update your drivers for your burner and consider changing whatever
burning software you use under Windows. An image burned under Linux
should be pretty much identical to an image burned under Windows.

--
Steve
Despair - It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black...