DVD problem

ubuntu-users mailing list
When I insert a DVD I get a window saying words to the effect of
"Unable to mount disk it is already mounted"

I have set caja to do nothing for all media insertions, and never to
prompt on media insertion, and I have told it not to browse media when
inserted.

So what is (a) automatically mounting the disk (and how do I stop it?),
and (b) what is sending me the message that it can't mount the disk
(and how do I stop that)?

Basically, I'm just trying to use K3B to write an iso, but it always
fails with a write error, which I assume is related to the above. I
tried using the Disks program to restore an image, but it tells me that
the DVD is read only, presumably because something else has mounted it.

I'm using Ubuntu Mate 19.04

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber

Re: DVD problem

Little Girl
Hey there,

Richard Kimber via ubuntu-users wrote:

>When I insert a DVD I get a window saying words to the effect of
>"Unable to mount disk it is already mounted"

This page is about five years old, but may be of some use:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/531313/unable-to-mount-blank-dvd-r-disc-location-is-already-mounted-error

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.

Re: DVD problem

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 at 17:25, Richard Kimber via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> So what is (a) automatically mounting the disk

I'd guess systemd or some part thereof.

> (and how do I stop it?),

I don't know.

> and (b) what is sending me the message that it can't mount the disk
> (and how do I stop that)?

That's probably Caja.

> Basically, I'm just trying to use K3B to write an iso, but it always
> fails with a write error, which I assume is related to the above.

Are you saying it's trying to mount a completely blank disk? That
shouldn't happen. Indeed I didn't think a blank medium could be
mounted.

Re: DVD problem

rikona
On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 16:22:23 +0100
Richard Kimber via ubuntu-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I insert a DVD I get a window saying words to the effect of
> "Unable to mount disk it is already mounted"
>
> I have set caja to do nothing for all media insertions, and never to
> prompt on media insertion, and I have told it not to browse media when
> inserted.
>
> So what is (a) automatically mounting the disk (and how do I stop
> it?), and (b) what is sending me the message that it can't mount the
> disk (and how do I stop that)?
>
> Basically, I'm just trying to use K3B to write an iso, but it always
> fails with a write error, which I assume is related to the above. I
> tried using the Disks program to restore an image, but it tells me
> that the DVD is read only, presumably because something else has
> mounted it.
>
> I'm using Ubuntu Mate 19.04

I get the same message on Ubuntu 16.04, then close that window. Under
that window another window then asks what to do with that disk; I say do
nothing, the window closes. [The blank DVD is one of the items on the
left side stack of pgms, but I ignore that.] I start K3B and it runs OK
with no errors [unless something happens], verifies the DVD, and I
close K3B. The disks work fine, as expected.

I like some KDE pgms and use them, BUT they **DO NOT** play well with
Ubuntu. For example, I can't copy/paste between them, and other
problems. Perhaps what you see is a similar incompatibility with Mate?

Rik

Re: DVD problem

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 17:34:55 +0200
Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's probably Caja.

Well if so, it must be a bug, because I've switched off all the
relevant caja options (that I can see).

> > Basically, I'm just trying to use K3B to write an iso, but it always
> > fails with a write error, which I assume is related to the above.
>
> Are you saying it's trying to mount a completely blank disk? That
> shouldn't happen. Indeed I didn't think a blank medium could be
> mounted.

Yes, it's a completely virgin disk.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber

Re: DVD problem

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 10:13:29 -0700
rikona <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like some KDE pgms and use them, BUT they **DO NOT** play well with
> Ubuntu. For example, I can't copy/paste between them, and other
> problems. Perhaps what you see is a similar incompatibility with Mate?

Well, possibly. Maybe if I upgrade to 19.10 it will be better.

On the other hand, I had a problem with the Disks program, which isn't
KDE, and shouldn't be incompatible.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber

Re: DVD problem

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 11:32:17 -0400
Little Girl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This page is about five years old, but may be of some use:
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/531313/unable-to-mount-blank-dvd-r-disc-location-is-already-mounted-error

Thanks. I tried dconf-editor and switched off auto mount. But I still
get the message about it being already mounted.

Do I have to reboot first?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber

Re: DVD problem

Bret Busby-2
On 18/10/2019, Richard Kimber via ubuntu-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I insert a DVD I get a window saying words to the effect of
> "Unable to mount disk it is already mounted"
>
> I have set caja to do nothing for all media insertions, and never to
> prompt on media insertion, and I have told it not to browse media when
> inserted.
>
> So what is (a) automatically mounting the disk (and how do I stop it?),
> and (b) what is sending me the message that it can't mount the disk
> (and how do I stop that)?
>
> Basically, I'm just trying to use K3B to write an iso, but it always
> fails with a write error, which I assume is related to the above. I
> tried using the Disks program to restore an image, but it tells me that
> the DVD is read only, presumably because something else has mounted it.
>
> I'm using Ubuntu Mate 19.04
>
> - Richard.
> --
> Richard Kimber

I get the same messages on my UbuntuMATE 16.04 system. I close the two
consecutive windows - the "Unable to mount - already mounted", and
"What do you want to do with it?" windows, and then I use brasero to
write an iso to the DVD.

I did that, with both 19.04, and, with 19.10 (writing the iso's for
them, to DVD's).

I note that UbuntuMATE 19.04 does not install with brasero, and vlc,
but, I installed them both, using synaptic (the new default software
managers aren't much good).

So, my advice, is to install brasero, and, use that to write iso's to
DVD's, and, just close and ignore the two dialogue boxes that you get
when you insert a blank DVD. Also, close the brasero window that
automatically opens.

I click on the iso file, using the non-dominant (usually, the right
hand) mouse button, and select "Open with" -> brasero, and it is
"plain sailing".

I hope that this is helpful.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: DVD problem

Bret Busby-2
On 19/10/2019, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 18/10/2019, Richard Kimber via ubuntu-users
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> When I insert a DVD I get a window saying words to the effect of
>> "Unable to mount disk it is already mounted"
>>
>> I have set caja to do nothing for all media insertions, and never to
>> prompt on media insertion, and I have told it not to browse media when
>> inserted.
>>
>> So what is (a) automatically mounting the disk (and how do I stop it?),
>> and (b) what is sending me the message that it can't mount the disk
>> (and how do I stop that)?
>>
>> Basically, I'm just trying to use K3B to write an iso, but it always
>> fails with a write error, which I assume is related to the above. I
>> tried using the Disks program to restore an image, but it tells me that
>> the DVD is read only, presumably because something else has mounted it.
>>
>> I'm using Ubuntu Mate 19.04
>>
>> - Richard.
>> --
>> Richard Kimber
>>

>> --
>>

> I get the same messages on my UbuntuMATE 16.04 system. I close the two
> consecutive windows - the "Unable to mount - already mounted", and
> "What do you want to do with it?" windows, and then I use brasero to
> write an iso to the DVD.
>
> I did that, with both 19.04, and, with 19.10 (writing the iso's for
> them, to DVD's).
>
> I note that UbuntuMATE 19.04 does not install with brasero, and vlc,
> but, I installed them both, using synaptic (the new default software
> managers aren't much good).
>
> So, my advice, is to install brasero, and, use that to write iso's to
> DVD's, and, just close and ignore the two dialogue boxes that you get
> when you insert a blank DVD. Also, close the brasero window that
> automatically opens.
>
> I click on the iso file, using the non-dominant (usually, the right
> hand) mouse button, and select "Open with" -> brasero, and it is
> "plain sailing".
>
> I hope that this is helpful.

Sorry - it was when my UbuntuMATE 19.04 installation was upgraded to
19.10, that it deleted brasero and vlc , and required me to install
them using synaptic. And, now, the screensaver does not work
automatically - I have to use the preview, to get the screensaver
working, on that system. Screenlock just goes to the login screen,
then a black screen, but, now does not engage the screensaver, which
is no longer automated.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: DVD problem

ubuntu-users mailing list
On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 04:28:54 +0800
Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry - it was when my UbuntuMATE 19.04 installation was upgraded to
> 19.10, that it deleted brasero and vlc , and required me to install
> them using synaptic. And, now, the screensaver does not work
> automatically - I have to use the preview, to get the screensaver
> working, on that system. Screenlock just goes to the login screen,
> then a black screen, but, now does not engage the screensaver, which
> is no longer automated.

Well, I'll see what happens when I've upgraded.
--
Richard Kimber

Re: DVD problem

Little Girl
Hey there,

Richard Kimber via ubuntu-users wrote:
>Little Girl wrote:

>> This page is about five years old, but may be of some use:
>>
>> https://askubuntu.com/questions/531313/unable-to-mount-blank-dvd-r-disc-location-is-already-mounted-error

>Thanks. I tried dconf-editor and switched off auto mount. But I still
>get the message about it being already mounted.
>
>Do I have to reboot first?

You shouldn't need to. You can unmount it with the GUI or from the
command line:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1160436/how-to-unmount-cd-drive

Or, easier yet, you can close the error message, open the burning
program, open the DVD from within the burning program, and do your
thing:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2092452

It sounds like Bret Busby has done that successfully and I'm seeing a
lot of mentions of other people doing the same thing. This looks like
a common issue in the Ubuntu flavors.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.