Dapper Flight 5 Installation Report

Re: Bug Triage Project - WAS: Re: Dapper Flight 5 Installation Report

Darren L
My suggestion was actually for something simpler.  A complete report from the application might be too ambitious, but something simple like dmesg, and maybe uname, etc.

On 3/16/06, John Nilsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 13:33 -0800, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> *) Malone can receive reports that are related to any of  15,000+
> packages.  I'm skeptical that a script could deal for that wide range
> of possibility of what went wrong, and what pieces of info are needed
> for the developers.

One possibility would be to have each package provide its own set of bug
report scripts and/or other bug reporting policies. The bug reporting
application would call these scripts and attach their output while
guiding the user through the bug submission.

Regards,
John

Re: Bug Triage Project - WAS: Re: Dapper Flight 5 Installation Report

Ming Hua-2
On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 03:55:16AM +1100, Jamie Jones wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 17:06 +0100, John Nilsson wrote:
> > One possibility would be to have each package provide its own set of bug
> > report scripts and/or other bug reporting policies. The bug reporting
> > application would call these scripts and attach their output while
> > guiding the user through the bug submission.
>
> That was possible with the reportbug tool, indeed I make use of it for
> my 3rd party .debs, but reportbug does not work with lp. Once I tell
> people about reportbug, they usually use it to send me bug reports, and
> it brings all the useful information with it thanks to my script, eg
> logs, cpu & opengl info. If wanted I could share my bash scripts, but
> they are trivial to make ( cat foo >> bar )
>
> That functionality would be nice to have for Ubuntu packages as well.

Seconded.  I use reportbug scripts to collect package specific
information for the package I maintain in Debian as well.  I would love
to see an easy way for user to attach these information to their malone
bug report (reportbug is not a very new-user-friendly tool, after all).

Ming
2006.03.16

Re: Bug Triage Project - WAS: Re: Dapper Flight 5 Installation Report

Michael Favia
Darren L wrote:
> My suggestion was actually for something simpler.  A complete report
> from the application might be too ambitious, but something simple like
> dmesg, and maybe uname, etc.

I think that this type of generic information that helps with a good
percentage of bugs along with the ability to select the application
package (if known) and query some dpkg-query information regarding its
status and history would greatly improve the initial quality of a bug
report and decrease the amount of "needs info" dancing. -mf

--
Michael Favia          [hidden email]
Insites Incorporated  http://michael.insitesinc.com