Dapper installation notes/Stuff that needs fixing

Dapper installation notes/Stuff that needs fixing

Dane Mutters
Hello, everybody.

I've just installed Dapper daily build (AMD6) February 12th, 2006, and I've come up with a list of stuff that I think would be good to fix before its final release.

I am using an AMD64 3200 processor, 1GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 6600GT graphics card, with the following drive setup (all IDE):

Primary Channel:
hda: hard drive (Gentoo)
hdb: CD-RW drive

Secondary Channel:
hdc: hard drive (Ubuntu-Dapper)
hdd: DVD-RW drive

Tertiary Channel (PCI card):
hde: hard drive (general storage)
hdf: hard drive (Windows XP 64)

Here's my list of stuff to take a further look at.  I hope we can make some use out of my ramblings.  :-D

Ubuntu Dapper test 2-12-06

Check CD for Defects:
    CDROM could not be mounted
    Fails to mount from /dev/hdd, but mounts OK from /dev/hdb

Installing in OEM mode.
    Same error as above occurs.  Switching to primary CDROM fixes it.

"Downloading file x of y" during installation is ambiguous.
    Downloading from CD to hard drive or from internet?
    What's it actually doing during this phase?

Grub installation with multiple operating systems is a bit rocky
    /dev/hdc1 incorrectly identified as hd1,0 (should be hd3,0 on my system)

Flash player in Firefox does not work "out-of-the-box," or after installing libswvdec.  The only solution right now, which I believe is preferable to not having any 32-bit plugins, etc., is to install a 32-bit firefox-bin.  Pain in the rear.

Totem fails to play most streaming internet movies.  Mplayer is not installed by default, and is not available via the apt-get sources.list repositories.  Mepis makes this available (sort-of) by including a commented-out line like this:
    # deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ etch main

oem-config does not work; can't delete oem's home directory:
oem@OEMBOX:~/install_flash_player_7_linux$ sudo oem-config
/usr/lib/oem-config/menu/locale: line 18: localechooser: command not found
Menu item locale exited 32512
Menu item keyboard exited 11
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/oem-config/wizard.py", line 272, in ?
    sys.exit(wizard.run())
  File "/usr/lib/oem-config/wizard.py", line 225, in run
    ret = debconffilter.run(itempath)
  File "/usr/lib/oem-config/debconffilter.py", line 95, in run
    if not widget.run(priority, question):
  File "/usr/lib/oem-config/menu/timezone.py", line 80, in run
    if default_zone is None:
NameError: global name 'default_zone' is not defined
oem@OEMBOX :~/install_flash_player_7_linux$ /usr/share/debconf/confmodule: line 42: echo: write error: Broken pipe
/usr/share/debconf/confmodule: line 42: echo: write error: Broken pipe

screen resolution works great except that it will only work at 60 Hz "out-of-the-box."

Synaptic won't run after manually deleting oem account (except for home directory) and logging in as normal user.

Logging out of normal user and back in again produces this error:
    I've detected a panel running, and will now exit.
    Gnome panel seems to be the culprit
    Used CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to exit X-Windows; gdm fails to restart even if called explicitly.
    [reboot]

After reboot, most of the items in the "System" menu are missing, including Synaptic.
    Executing "sudo /usr/sbin/synaptic" does nothing; no error message.
    Normal user appears to no longer be a member of any group except [username] fax and tape.

--Dane

Re: Dapper installation notes/Stuff that needs fixing

Lee Revell
On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 02:31 -0800, Dane Mutters wrote:
> Totem fails to play most streaming internet movies.  Mplayer is not
> installed by default, and is not available via the apt-get
> sources.list repositories.  Mepis makes this available (sort-of) by
> including a commented-out line like this:
>     # deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ etch main

It's in multiverse or universe - it's definitely not necessary to get it
from marillat.

I agree that it's very bad that mplayer and the mplayer browser plugin
aren't installed by default as streaming audio/video does not work.

Lee

Re: Dapper installation notes/Stuff that needs fixing

Duncan Lithgow
I started a similar list as Dane so here's mine...

Checking CD-ROM integrity:
    The height of the window is too small, so whenever longer files are
checked the height changes, and then back again. This gives an annoying
flickering appearance on my 19" screen.
    Upon restarting from CD after the integrity check, instead of going
back to the main menu it goes to "[!!] Configuring cdrom-checker-menu"
as if I have asked to check the CD again. Selecting 'no' restarts the
install properly.

Totem:
Totem has regularly failed to play any file I have given it. Is it short
on codecs or what is the problem? It can't even play the WAV files
created by the Sound Recorder,

Network autoconfiguration:
    The install still assumes users are on a network, and when it fails
to get a (DHCP?) response the message is cryptic for users on dailup.
The words 'protocol', 'DHCP' are too technical. Is there a way of
including more information for new users. I think a lot of people with
cable modems, which often connect to the ISP's LAN network, will be
confused by this dialogue. Can I suggest we pull some text from
wikipedia on networks and DHCP and include this in 6.10?
    After not finding the network it still assumes I use a network. The
only option after a failed autoconfiguration is "Continue", why not save
people who don't understand networks some pain by adding the options "Do
not configure the network now" or "Do not configure the network at this
time" (which is in the next set of options anyway) and changing
"Continue" to "Show more network configuration options"

    The option "Do not configure the network at this time" is unusual
wording. I suggest either "Do not configure the network" or "Do not
configure the network now"

Partition Manager:
I can't use "Erase entire disk and use LVM:" as it complains that:
"Selected device already contains a physical volume" (I used LVM last
time). So what? Why is there no option to erase the partition table
(with suitable warnings) and start over? I can do that manually, so why
make it so hard?

... install goes ahead ...

[!!] Configure apt
    Why on earth are the security.ubuntu.com entries commented out? They
should be ready to kick into play as soon as Ubuntu notices that it has
access to them. This equates to "Just so you know, when you manage to
get onto the internet your system will not look for security updates,
will not give you any warning about this being a problem, and will not
tell you how to fix this!"

Should any of those be filed as bug reports? I'm happy to do so, just
don't know which ones are what.

Re: Dapper installation notes/Stuff that needs fixing

Sandis Neilands
Hello!

On 2/14/06, Duncan Lithgow <[hidden email]> wrote:
Should any of those be filed as bug reports? I'm happy to do so, just
don't know which ones are what.

You tried daily build, right? I usually file bug reports against flights. If there is a bug in flight people can try to reproduce it. But how many people have all of the daily builds around at any given time? The other reason why I don't report bugs against daily builds is that the bug will be fixed with update of newer version of software long before anybody pick it up in malone.

--
Sandis

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 01:51 pm, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> I started a similar list as Dane so here's mine...

        Cool! :-)

> Checking CD-ROM integrity:
>     The height of the window is too small, so whenever longer files are
> checked the height changes, and then back again. This gives an annoying
> flickering appearance on my 19" screen.
>     Upon restarting from CD after the integrity check, instead of going
> back to the main menu it goes to "[!!] Configuring cdrom-checker-menu"
> as if I have asked to check the CD again. Selecting 'no' restarts the
> install properly.
>
> Totem:
> Totem has regularly failed to play any file I have given it. Is it short
> on codecs or what is the problem? It can't even play the WAV files
> created by the Sound Recorder,

        I agree whole-heartedly with this point.  Has ANYBODY ever had Totem work
properly out-of-the-box?  I suggest that we ditch Totem entirely in favor of
Mplayer.  This sounds like good bug report material to me.

> Network autoconfiguration:
>     The install still assumes users are on a network, and when it fails
> to get a (DHCP?) response the message is cryptic for users on dailup.
> The words 'protocol', 'DHCP' are too technical. Is there a way of
> including more information for new users. I think a lot of people with
> cable modems, which often connect to the ISP's LAN network, will be
> confused by this dialogue. Can I suggest we pull some text from
> wikipedia on networks and DHCP and include this in 6.10?

        I think that while "DHCP" and "protocol" are beyond the vocabulary of the
average home user, it's really nice for those of us who understand them to be
able to see what's going on.  Perhaps we can use something like, "Attempting
to autoconfigure network device (DHCP)."

>     After not finding the network it still assumes I use a network. The
> only option after a failed autoconfiguration is "Continue", why not save
> people who don't understand networks some pain by adding the options "Do
> not configure the network now" or "Do not configure the network at this
> time" (which is in the next set of options anyway) and changing
> "Continue" to "Show more network configuration options"

        I would also like to see an option for simply not having a network, and one
for configuring it later.  Maybe the options should be something like, "Skip
Network Configuration" (before it tries to autoconfigure it), "Configure
manually," and "Suggest some settings."  The latter would explain the other
options and allow the user to try configuring the network again.

>     The option "Do not configure the network at this time" is unusual
> wording. I suggest either "Do not configure the network" or "Do not
> configure the network now"

        Hmmm...I've never really had problems with it.  Does it translate weirdly or
something?

> Partition Manager:
> I can't use "Erase entire disk and use LVM:" as it complains that:
> "Selected device already contains a physical volume" (I used LVM last
> time). So what? Why is there no option to erase the partition table
> (with suitable warnings) and start over? I can do that manually, so why
> make it so hard?

        I don't really know about LVM to say much on that one.

> ... install goes ahead ...
>
> [!!] Configure apt
>     Why on earth are the security.ubuntu.com entries commented out? They
> should be ready to kick into play as soon as Ubuntu notices that it has
> access to them. This equates to "Just so you know, when you manage to
> get onto the internet your system will not look for security updates,
> will not give you any warning about this being a problem, and will not
> tell you how to fix this!"

        Yikes!  That's a bit scary, because just not being able to get suitable
security patches poses a security threat.  Another bug worth reporting.

> Should any of those be filed as bug reports? I'm happy to do so, just
> don't know which ones are what.

        Keep up the good work.

        --Dane

Re: Dapper installation notes/Stuff that needs fixing

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Dienstag, den 14.02.2006, 14:16 -0800 schrieb Dane Mutters:

> I agree whole-heartedly with this point.  Has ANYBODY ever had Totem work
> properly out-of-the-box?  I suggest that we ditch Totem entirely in favor of
> Mplayer.  This sounds like good bug report material to me.
so you would prefer a totally crippled but shippable mplayer in main and
on the CD and a working totem with mp3, wmv support in multiverse ?

there are legal reasons for the decisions ...

ciao
        oli

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 14:16 -0800, Dane Mutters wrote:
>   I think that while "DHCP" and "protocol" are beyond the vocabulary
> of the
> average home user, it's really nice for those of us who understand
> them to be
> able to see what's going on.  Perhaps we can use something like,
> "Attempting
> to autoconfigure network device (DHCP)."

"Acquiring network address"?

Lee

Re: Dapper installation notes/Stuff that needs fixing

Dana Olson
On 2/14/06, Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi,
> Am Dienstag, den 14.02.2006, 14:16 -0800 schrieb Dane Mutters:
> >
> >       I agree whole-heartedly with this point.  Has ANYBODY ever had Totem work
> > properly out-of-the-box?  I suggest that we ditch Totem entirely in favor of
> > Mplayer.  This sounds like good bug report material to me.
> so you would prefer a totally crippled but shippable mplayer in main and
> on the CD and a working totem with mp3, wmv support in multiverse ?

Uh, why don't we just ditch media players altogether?? Honestly, what
is the reason to have Totem as a default if it can't play ANYTHING,
even as simple as a WAV file? It is just there getting in the way.
Remove it entirely. I'd rather have no media player rather than a
piece of garbage that can't even play a single file in my collection.
I can install Xine or Mplayer easily enough, but then I still have to
go through and change all the file associations, which is a major PITA
that wouldn't be there if Totem just wasn't even installed by default.

Honestly, I think it can play Ogg files and that's about it. And as
much as I wish everyone in the world used Oggs an Theora, it just
isn't that way.

> there are legal reasons for the decisions ...
>
> ciao
>         oli

Thank God that I know how to install a good media player, and was
willing to help several newbies out, including a good friend of mine
who gave it a shot thanks to a CD I gave him. He was a bit surprised
that there would be something so useless as this included by default
in a distro that is supposed to be newbie friendly.

Dana

Re: Dapper installation notes/Stuff that needs fixing

Peter Garrett
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:01:39 -0500
Dana Olson <[hidden email]> wrote:

*snip*

>  can install Xine or Mplayer easily enough, but then I still have to
> go through and change all the file associations, which is a major PITA

So just install totem-xine - no changes required.

Peter

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 09:17 pm, Peter Garrett wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:01:39 -0500
> Dana Olson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> *snip*
>
> >  can install Xine or Mplayer easily enough, but then I still have to
> > go through and change all the file associations, which is a major PITA
>
> So just install totem-xine - no changes required.

        Personally, I haven't had much luck with Xine or Totem-Xine, especially in
the streaming department.  I agree with Dana that it would be easier/better
to not have any media player installed when the only alternative is to have
one that won't work with most file formats.  Changing file associations
really is a pain, and I'd personally rather not have to deal with it, even if
it is just point-and-click (and click, and click...).  Most people when
coming upon something that is that broken out-of-the-box (like Totem) just
get frustrated and say, "Linux/Ubuntu sucks!"  From my Linux/Ubuntu-loving
standpoint, that's a very bad thing.  :-)
        I understand that there are legal issues involved, so I'm not going to press
the point about Ubuntu coming stock with Mplayer or Xine (and XMMS for MP3
support), but I do think it would be appropriate to have a built-in How-To on
how to get it (and the codecs) if it is legal where you are.  Just out of
curiosity, does anybody know where Mplayer/Xine/XMMS/w32codecs, etc. are NOT
legal?

        Cheers!

        --Dane

Re: Dapper installation notes/Stuff that needs fixing

Santiago Roza-2
On 2/15/06, Dane Mutters <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just out of
> curiosity, does anybody know where Mplayer/Xine/XMMS/w32codecs, etc. are NOT
> legal?

the players are not illegal per se... what's illegal in some countries
is their implementation of patented standards (mp3, mpeg2/dvd,
mpeg4/divx), without paying the corresponding royalties.

those countries are the ones that recognise software patents;
basically usa and japan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#Licensing_and_patent_issues

in the case of w32codecs and libdvdcss2, what's also illegal (under
the american dmca) is the reverse engineering of the formats... not to
mention the fact that w32codecs include a bunch of copyrighted
quicktime/wm/divx dlls haxored together  :S

there are no easy solutions, because the legal issue is tricky (and
risky).  the ones i can think of are:
- making a parallel non-us version of ubuntu, with all the patented stuff.
- including the patented stuff in ubuntu, but install it only if the
user claims not to be in the us or any other country with software
patents.
- including a post-install wizard that downloads and installs all that
stuff, if the user claims the same thing as before.

but again, there's no easy solution.

--
Santiago Roza
Departamento I+D - Thymbra

Re: Dapper installation notes/Stuff that needs fixing

Daniel T Chen
[CC: list trimmed]

Hi Dana,

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 12:01:39AM -0500, Dana Olson wrote:
> Uh, why don't we just ditch media players altogether?? Honestly, what
> is the reason to have Totem as a default if it can't play ANYTHING,
> even as simple as a WAV file? It is just there getting in the way.

I presume you're reacting thusly due to frustration and not due to
factual relevance. Totem in stock Ubuntu Dapper currently plays at
least the following audio formats: wav, flac, speex, and vorbis.

> Thank God that I know how to install a good media player, and was
> willing to help several newbies out, including a good friend of mine
> who gave it a shot thanks to a CD I gave him. He was a bit surprised
> that there would be something so useless as this included by default
> in a distro that is supposed to be newbie friendly.

I'd love to have assistance whipping vlc into shape for Dapper+1.

Daniel T. Chen            [hidden email]
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc

Re: Dapper installation notes/Stuff that needs fixing

Peter Garrett
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:02:20 -0800
Dane Mutters <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Personally, I haven't had much luck with Xine or Totem-Xine, especially in
> the streaming department.

I've noticed that people's experiences vary widely in this. I don't know
why - perhaps different hardware reacts differently, but I don't know
enough to be sure of that.

The Ubuntu multiverse version of mplayer worked fairly well for me on
Hoary, but the Breezy version was useless. ( huge lag, synchronisation
problems etc ), whereas totem-xine works fine for me. I'm *told* that
compiling mplayer overcomes some issues, but really, if I was going
down that route I would have become a Gentoo fan ;-)

The first thing I do is install totem-xine. I wish the gstreamer default
version worked well, but so far, even with every gstreamer plugin
imaginable, it frankly sucks, at least here.

Peter

Re: Dapper installation notes/Stuff that needs fixing

Santiago Roza-2

> I'd love to have assistance whipping vlc into shape for Dapper+1.

it's not a matter of frontends, it's a matter of backends... and both
totem and vlc are just frontends.

vlc uses libavcodec (from ffmpeg) plus libdvdcss for encrypted dvds.
that way it'll play pretty much everything... but it's illegal in the
usa and japan, because it uses patented tecnology (mp3, mpeg2/dvd,
mpeg4/divx), not to mention the dmca-forbidden reverse engineering on
the dvd encryption.

totem uses gstreamer *by default*, and since gstreamer was designed to
be 100% legal and safe in every country, it does not play patented
formats *by default*.  but that doesn't mean you can't add
gstreamer-mad for mp3, gstreamer-mpeg2dec (plus libdvdcss) for dvd,
and so on...

heck you could even add gstreamer-ffmpeg and play the same formats as
vlc!  or you could install totem-xine to make totem use a completely
different (and more compatible) backend: xine, which not surprisingly
uses ffmpeg too.

but no matter what you do, you'll always have the same problem: if
you're compatible you're illegal (in the us), if you're legal you're
incompatible.

it doesn't have anything to do with totem or vlc or gstreamer or
ffmpeg: it has to do with software patents, and software patents only
(well maybe the dmca too).

that's why in my previous post i suggested three ways of going around
this problem (a problem that unluckily can't be just "solved").

--
Santiago Roza
Departamento I+D - Thymbra

Re: Dapper installation notes/Stuff that needs fixing

Dana Olson
> [CC: list trimmed]
>
> Hi Dana,

Hi Daniel. :)

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 12:01:39AM -0500, Dana Olson wrote:
> > Uh, why don't we just ditch media players altogether?? Honestly, what
> > is the reason to have Totem as a default if it can't play ANYTHING,
> > even as simple as a WAV file? It is just there getting in the way.
>
> I presume you're reacting thusly due to frustration and not due to
> factual relevance. Totem in stock Ubuntu Dapper currently plays at
> least the following audio formats: wav, flac, speex, and vorbis.

Well, I tried playing a WAV file in it yesterday and it didn't work.
But I am indeed frustrated with Totem/gstreamer. And.. I've yet to see
a downloadable speex file from any band website or really any site. :)

Either way, it is pretty useless for Ubuntu's target market, you must
admit... A lot of people I've given Ubuntu discs to don't even know
what an Ogg file is. But my biggest gripe is the file associations
thing, to be honest. Maybe there's a faster, easier way, I don't know.

> > Thank God that I know how to install a good media player, and was
> > willing to help several newbies out, including a good friend of mine
> > who gave it a shot thanks to a CD I gave him. He was a bit surprised
> > that there would be something so useless as this included by default
> > in a distro that is supposed to be newbie friendly.
>
> I'd love to have assistance whipping vlc into shape for Dapper+1.

I haven't used vlc much. I installed it in hopes that it would
actually play a .NSV file, but it didn't. I think you are aware at
what level I am at with development and packaging (pretty basic at the
moment).. I am afraid I couldn't help much right now, but by then, who
knows? I'm still learning off the feedback from my current REVU
packages.

Dana

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 03:43:20AM -0300, Santiago Roza wrote:
> it's not a matter of frontends, it's a matter of backends... and both
> totem and vlc are just frontends.

I'm aware-- I hacked on the package's infrastructure for Hoary and
Breezy.

> vlc uses libavcodec (from ffmpeg) plus libdvdcss for encrypted dvds.
> that way it'll play pretty much everything... but it's illegal in the
> usa and japan, because it uses patented tecnology (mp3, mpeg2/dvd,
> mpeg4/divx), not to mention the dmca-forbidden reverse engineering on
> the dvd encryption.

By assistance I mean splitting out the compile-time pieces so that
something similar to what Sebastian has done with libxine for Dapper
can be applied to vlc.

> it doesn't have anything to do with totem or vlc or gstreamer or
> ffmpeg: it has to do with software patents, and software patents only
> (well maybe the dmca too).

I'm more interested in offering correct options in Dapper+1.

Daniel T. Chen            [hidden email]
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc

Re: Dapper installation notes/Stuff that needs fixing

Santiago Roza-2

> I'm more interested in offering correct options in Dapper+1.

but no matter how "correct" the options are, they still can't be
distributed for legal reasons.

imho the problem here is not only technical; it's coming up with a
legal way to offer mp3/dvd/divx support in ubuntu, with the least
possible hassle (especially for new users).

--
Santiago Roza
Departamento I+D - Thymbra

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 10:27 pm, Santiago Roza wrote:
> the players are not illegal per se... what's illegal in some countries
> is their implementation of patented standards (mp3, mpeg2/dvd,
> mpeg4/divx), without paying the corresponding royalties.

Ahh...that makes sense...inasmuch as software patents make sense.

> those countries are the ones that recognise software patents;
> basically usa and japan:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#Licensing_and_patent_issues

Thanks for the link.  Looks like the MP3 patents, at least, expire in
2010.  :-)

> in the case of w32codecs and libdvdcss2, what's also illegal (under
> the american dmca) is the reverse engineering of the formats... not to
> mention the fact that w32codecs include a bunch of copyrighted
> quicktime/wm/divx dlls haxored together  :S
>

> there are no easy solutions, because the legal issue is tricky (and
> risky).  the ones i can think of are:
> - making a parallel non-us version of ubuntu, with all the patented stuff.
> - including the patented stuff in ubuntu, but install it only if the
> user claims not to be in the us or any other country with software
> patents.
> - including a post-install wizard that downloads and installs all that
> stuff, if the user claims the same thing as before.
>

> but again, there's no easy solution.
>

> --
> Santiago Roza
> Departamento I+D - Thymbra
> [hidden email]

        Seems like a more permanent solution, although probably beyond the reach of
the open source community, would be to simply buy the rights to the software.
For now, though, I put my vote behind a wizard that allows the user an option
like, "I agree to pay all licensing fees as mentioned above" or some such,
and if accepted, installs the software.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 04:11:48AM -0300, Santiago Roza wrote:
> but no matter how "correct" the options are, they still can't be
> distributed for legal reasons.

I'm not worried about the legal ramifications; we discussed at least a
few on this list following Breezy's release for ffmpeg. By "not
worried" I mean that I know additional packaging efforts will result in
'foo-multiverse' packages, and that's where my effort is going to be
concentrated.

> imho the problem here is not only technical; it's coming up with a
> legal way to offer mp3/dvd/divx support in ubuntu, with the least
> possible hassle (especially for new users).

And my point is that I'm not interested in prolonging this thread
beyond its usefulness: I'm down to work on vlc, and I welcome any
assistance to that end.

Daniel T. Chen            [hidden email]
GPG key:   www.sh.nu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc

Re: Dapper installation notes/Stuff that needs fixing

Aigars Mahinovs
On 2/15/06, Santiago Roza <[hidden email]> wrote:
> there are no easy solutions, because the legal issue is tricky (and
> risky).  the ones i can think of are:
> - including a post-install wizard that downloads and installs all that
> stuff, if the user claims the same thing as before.

This solution is as easy as it gets. And the message should rather be:
"Due to the cripled legal system of USA and Japan which allows
software patents, we have to ship Ubuntu that is crippled in its media
playing capabilities. If you do not live in these countries or have in
other way acquired rights to play media protected by software patents,
you can download media plugins from our site."
With a single button - "Uncripple media capabilities"

The dialog should not take more then a couple of days to do. After
that the legal responsibility is with the users and Ubuntu can not do
anything and doesn't have to do anything.

I suggest that this issue be considered release critical for Dapper.

--
Best regards,
    Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:[hidden email]