Dead gnome panel

Dieter Schicker-3
Hi,

today after gdm login I was presented with two empty gnome panels at the
top and at the bottom, only the workspace switcher and the waste basket
showed up, the former didn't work the later did. There was also no right
mouse button functionality on the panels so I could not reinstall the
menu and the other icons. The icons on the desktop worked as expected.
My home directory is nfs mounted but nfs works just fine.

I know that one "solution" is to remove all the .gconf* and .gnome*
directories but - as you can imagine - I don't like that solution very
much because you lose all your nifty tweakings and settings! ;-)

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance
Dieter

Re: Dead gnome panel

albi@scii.nl
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 14:54:47 +0200
Dieter Schicker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> today after gdm login I was presented with two empty gnome panels at
> the top and at the bottom, only the workspace switcher and the waste
> basket showed up, the former didn't work the later did. There was
> also no right mouse button functionality on the panels so I could not
> reinstall the menu and the other icons. The icons on the desktop
> worked as expected. My home directory is nfs mounted but nfs works
> just fine.
>
> I know that one "solution" is to remove all the .gconf* and .gnome*
> directories but - as you can imagine - I don't like that solution very
> much because you lose all your nifty tweakings and settings! ;-)

what about :
- backup your .gconf* and .gnome*
- log out
- rm -rf .gconf* and .gnome* (in e.g. icewm or KDE or console)
- log in again (Gnome)
- log out again
- write your favorite settings back (in e.g. icewm or KDE or console)
- log in again (Gnome)

--
grtjs,
albi

Re: Dead gnome panel

Dieter Schicker-3
On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 14:57 +0200, albi wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 14:54:47 +0200
> Dieter Schicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > today after gdm login I was presented with two empty gnome panels at
> > the top and at the bottom, only the workspace switcher and the waste
> > basket showed up, the former didn't work the later did. There was
> > also no right mouse button functionality on the panels so I could not
> > reinstall the menu and the other icons. The icons on the desktop
> > worked as expected. My home directory is nfs mounted but nfs works
> > just fine.
> >
> > I know that one "solution" is to remove all the .gconf* and .gnome*
> > directories but - as you can imagine - I don't like that solution very
> > much because you lose all your nifty tweakings and settings! ;-)
>
> what about :
> - backup your .gconf* and .gnome*
> - log out
> - rm -rf .gconf* and .gnome* (in e.g. icewm or KDE or console)
> - log in again (Gnome)
> - log out again
> - write your favorite settings back (in e.g. icewm or KDE or console)
> - log in again (Gnome)

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Although I ask myself why this should work
when I copy the obviously corrupt data back ...

Dieter

How do I correct FSTAB?

Ted Quick
I just installed Kubuntu Edgy in a partition that had my first (somewhat flawed) copy of Kubuntu
Dapper in it. I have another (better working) copy of Dapper in a different partition.

Now I can start the new Edgy partition, but have no way to start the earlier Dapper partition
since it doesn't appear in the new fstab file. I tried editing the fstab file in Edgy by copying
the Dapper fstab into it.

THEN all I got for a while was a terminal screen when I tried booting up. Seemed to stop there,
but then this morning I just waited and it finally loaded the EDGY gui.

So right now the Egdy fstab file reads:

#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda3 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid $
/dev/hda1 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid $
/dev/hda6 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0

#Added by diskmounter utility
/dev/hdc1 /media/hdc1 vfat rw,user,fmask=0111,dmask=0000 0 0
#Added by diskmounter utility
/dev/hdc5 /media/hdc5 vfat rw,user,fmask=0111,dmask=0000 0 0

This is a direct copy of the earlier Dapper file. Dapper is on hda3, Edgy on hda1 BTW.

I also tried to change the Active partition using Qparted, at whichpoint it stopped booting up as
easily.

HOW do I change the FSTAB file to get the 3 way boot capability that I had before back?

Ted Quick
Need a website? Look at: http://www.rqh-webhosting.com/

Re: How do I correct FSTAB?

Derek Broughton-2
Ted Quick wrote:

> I just installed Kubuntu Edgy in a partition that had my first (somewhat
> flawed) copy of Kubuntu Dapper in it. I have another (better working) copy
> of Dapper in a different partition.
>
> Now I can start the new Edgy partition, but have no way to start the
> earlier Dapper partition since it doesn't appear in the new fstab file. I
> tried editing the fstab file in Edgy by copying the Dapper fstab into it.

I think you're looking in the wrong place.  You don't actually have fstab
available at boot time.  So you want to look at your boot loader.  Are you
using lilo or grub?
--
derek

Re: *****SPAM***** How do I correct FSTAB?

Thomas Kaiser (ubuntu)
Ted Quick wrote:

> I just installed Kubuntu Edgy in a partition that had my first (somewhat flawed) copy of Kubuntu
> Dapper in it. I have another (better working) copy of Dapper in a different partition.
>
> Now I can start the new Edgy partition, but have no way to start the earlier Dapper partition
> since it doesn't appear in the new fstab file. I tried editing the fstab file in Edgy by copying
> the Dapper fstab into it.
>
> THEN all I got for a while was a terminal screen when I tried booting up. Seemed to stop there,
> but then this morning I just waited and it finally loaded the EDGY gui.
>
> So right now the Egdy fstab file reads:
>

> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> /dev/hda3 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid $
> /dev/hda1 / ext3 nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid $
> /dev/hda6 none swap sw 0 0
> /dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
>
> #Added by diskmounter utility
> /dev/hdc1 /media/hdc1 vfat rw,user,fmask=0111,dmask=0000 0 0
> #Added by diskmounter utility
> /dev/hdc5 /media/hdc5 vfat rw,user,fmask=0111,dmask=0000 0 0
>
> This is a direct copy of the earlier Dapper file. Dapper is on hda3, Edgy on hda1 BTW.
>
> I also tried to change the Active partition using Qparted, at whichpoint it stopped booting up as
> easily.
>
> HOW do I change the FSTAB file to get the 3 way boot capability that I had before back?
>

> Ted Quick
> Need a website? Look at: http://www.rqh-webhosting.com/

GRUB is responsible for booting the OS, don't change fstab file! You
should see dapper in the GRUB boot menu. Just choose the OS you like to
boot. If you don't see dapper /boot/grub/menu.lst is the file to add
dapper. Search the list archive and you will find plenty of grub
configuration examples or check the man page.

Regards, Thomas

Re: How do I correct FSTAB?

Alan McKinnon
On Monday 18 September 2006 15:36, Ted Quick wrote:
> I just installed Kubuntu Edgy in a partition that had my
> first (somewhat flawed) copy of Kubuntu Dapper in it. I have
> another (better working) copy of Dapper in a different
> partition.
>
> Now I can start the new Edgy partition, but have no way to
> start the earlier Dapper partition since it doesn't appear in
> the new fstab file. I tried editing the fstab file in Edgy by
> copying the Dapper fstab into it.

No, don't do this, you can't just copy fstab from one system
into another one and hope it'll work - the layout of the
partitions are different between systems and it's a certain way
to screw things up royally, as you just found out.

> THEN all I got for a while was a terminal screen when I tried
> booting up. Seemed to stop there, but then this morning I
> just waited and it finally loaded the EDGY gui.
>
> So right now the Egdy fstab file reads:
>

> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> <dump>  <pass> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> /dev/hda3 / ext3
> nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid

remove this line above, it's the relevant entry for Dapper. You
also have a $ at the end of the line, that doesn't belong
there - remove it and replace it with '0 1'

> $ /dev/hda1 / ext3
> nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid

This line is correct

> $ /dev/hda6 none swap sw 0 0

this line is correct

> /dev/hdb /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660
> user,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
>
> #Added by diskmounter utility
> /dev/hdc1 /media/hdc1 vfat rw,user,fmask=0111,dmask=0000 0 0
> #Added by diskmounter utility
> /dev/hdc5 /media/hdc5 vfat rw,user,fmask=0111,dmask=0000 0 0

These all seem OK

> This is a direct copy of the earlier Dapper file. Dapper is
> on hda3, Edgy on hda1 BTW.
>
> I also tried to change the Active partition using Qparted, at
> whichpoint it stopped booting up as easily.

This is a meaningless concept under Linux. It means something to
some of Microsoft's stuff, but grub completely ignores it.

> HOW do I change the FSTAB file to get the 3 way boot
> capability that I had before back?

Make the changes above to the /etc/fstab file on hda1. Reboot to
make sure it works. Then you need to edit and fix the
corresponding file for dapper which is on a different
partition. Easiest way is to mount /dev/hda3 at some convenient
place like /mnt/hda3 and you can edit it from there. Reboot
into dapper and check that it works.

I highly advise you to be very familiar with the structure
of /etc/fstab, different partitions and how the system first
boots up. There's no substitute for knowing how this works.
Luckily there's full complete information in the Ubuntu docs
and on the web site.

If you still get stuck, ask here again but we'll need more info:

Which partition has your boot loader
The output of 'sudo fdisk -l' (plus a description of what is
what in there)
Contents of /boot/grub/grub.conf
Contents of /etc/fstab for each installed system

alan

Re: How do I correct FSTAB?

Dan Layman-2

> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> /dev/hda3 / ext3
> nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid $
> /dev/hda1 / ext3

Actually, if I am reading this right, what you want to do add the original
installation back into grub. Usually when you do a new install it installs
its own boot manager, sometimes not auto adding other Linux installations.

From what i see in your fstab file you are trying two mount to / "root"
partitions. I don't think this is going to work very well.

First, remove the part of the fstab file that you copied from first
installation. ie undo what you did to try and fix it.

Second, edit the file /boot/grub/menu.lst and add the entry for the first
installation. You could copy this from the /boot/grub/menu.lst file that
resides on your first installation. It should look something like this

title ubuntu <version>
kernel xxxxxx
initrd xxxxxx

Just copy that entry over to the menu.lst file on the newest installation
right below the entrys that are already there. Being very careful not to
overwrite any info already in there. . :)

Now when you reboot, you should have a selection of which ubuntu(Linux)
install you wish to boot to.

I hope this is some help.  DAN

Re: How do I correct FSTAB?

Ted Quick
--- Derek Broughton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ted Quick wrote:
>
> > I just installed Kubuntu Edgy in a partition that had my first (somewhat
> > flawed) copy of Kubuntu Dapper in it. I have another (better working) copy
> > of Dapper in a different partition.
> >
> > Now I can start the new Edgy partition, but have no way to start the
> > earlier Dapper partition since it doesn't appear in the new fstab file. I
> > tried editing the fstab file in Edgy by copying the Dapper fstab into it.
>
> I think you're looking in the wrong place.  You don't actually have fstab
> available at boot time.  So you want to look at your boot loader.  Are you
> using lilo or grub?
> --
> derek

I'm using grub.

Ted Quick
Need a website? Look at: http://www.rqh-webhosting.com/

Corrected, thanks! Re: How do I correct FSTAB?

Ted Quick
--- Dan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> > /dev/hda3 / ext3
> > nouser,defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid $
> > /dev/hda1 / ext3
>
> Actually, if I am reading this right, what you want to do add the original
> installation back into grub. Usually when you do a new install it installs
> its own boot manager, sometimes not auto adding other Linux installations.

Exactly right.

> From what i see in your fstab file you are trying two mount to / "root"
> partitions. I don't think this is going to work very well.

All too true......

> First, remove the part of the fstab file that you copied from first
> installation. ie undo what you did to try and fix it.
>
> Second, edit the file /boot/grub/menu.lst and add the entry for the first
> installation. You could copy this from the /boot/grub/menu.lst file that
> resides on your first installation. It should look something like this
>
> title ubuntu <version>
> kernel xxxxxx
> initrd xxxxxx
>
> Just copy that entry over to the menu.lst file on the newest installation
> right below the entrys that are already there. Being very careful not to
> overwrite any info already in there. . :)
>
> Now when you reboot, you should have a selection of which ubuntu(Linux)
> install you wish to boot to.
>
> I hope this is some help.  DAN

That definitely solved it. Thanks for the help. Now I just have to get rid of old ideas about how
Linux filesystems work.

Ted Quick
Need a website? Look at: http://www.rqh-webhosting.com/

Re: Corrected, thanks! Re: How do I correct FSTAB?

Derek Broughton-2
Ted Quick wrote:

> That definitely solved it. Thanks for the help. Now I just have to get rid
> of old ideas about how Linux filesystems work.

LOL.  I'm not so sure you need to get rid of ideas about how filesystems
work so much as ideas about how (& when) they become available.

In the initial phase of the load, there's just enough information available
to find the kernel and initrd images (which will usually be in /boot).  I
think lilo actually records physical cylinder/track/sector addresses for
these.  Grub is a little more flexible and only needs you to specify an
address for the partition, and it can find the files from there.

The initrd will contain the filesystem driver for your root (/) filesystem -
but not necessarily any filesystems on other partitions.  So then, / is
checked & mounted.  Since / must contain /etc, at that point /etc/fstab is
available.  Only then are the filesystems named in /etc/fstab mounted.

hth.
--
derek