Quantcast

Dead

raymond house

Hi all, I installed Ubuntu 16.04 from a live CD on my laptop and now I can't boot up.I can hear the fan going into high speed but that,s all, no display.I have to force it off.How can I restore the laptop? Thank you.

Re: Dead

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre
On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 5:35 PM, Raymond House <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all, I installed Ubuntu 16.04 from a live CD on my laptop and now I can't boot up.I can hear the fan going into high speed but that,s all, no display.I have to force it off.How can I restore the laptop? Thank you.

Can you see the grub menu if you hold Shift while booting? That could let you boot all the way up to a recovery console.

Do you see the boot splash in general?

If you see the bootsplash, is all that is missing a login prompt, and if so, were you running Ubuntu-GNOME? gdm is known to be broken in a non-obvious way at the moment.

If you can't boot even in recovery, sounds like a kernel problem, in which case the grub menu might allow you to boot to a previous kernel.

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <[hidden email]>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: [hidden email]
4096R/65B58DA1 818A D123 0992 275B 23C2  CF89 C67B B4D6 65B5 8DA1

Re: Dead

Roscoe-10
Hey Raymond:
As a user of Ubuntu as a daily driver since the first version, I have noticed that over the years that some versions install with some difficulty. As I am no Comp-Sci dude, I usually just reinstalled (maybe even a couple of times) and it usually installed no prob.
I am big proponent of *patience is a virtue* but I don't have any, so installs and re-installs are usually what I revert to.
Give it a try!

Ian

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 2:35 PM, Raymond House <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all, I installed Ubuntu 16.04 from a live CD on my laptop and now I can't boot up.I can hear the fan going into high speed but that,s all, no display.I have to force it off.How can I restore the laptop? Thank you.

LP

Re: Dead

LP
I have noticed strange lock ups lately too, not just with 16 but all Ubuntu.
I am now in the strange habit of pulling power supply and battery then holding down the power on button for 5 full seconds.
This drains all power from capacitors and memory "I think"
But it works for me.
ttyl
LP

On 27 April 2016 at 10:19, CrankyOldBugger <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

LP

LP

Re: Dead

LP
FYI, I am on the Bug mailing list for Ubuntu Mate 16
I don't believe I have ever received so many bug reports this late in the game.
Change for the sake of change is not always a good thing.
I was really looking forward to Ubuntu-Mate.