Deprecation notice for mail-stack-delivery (dovecot) - planned to be dropped in 18.10

Deprecation notice for mail-stack-delivery (dovecot) - planned to be dropped in 18.10

Christian Ehrhardt
Hello,
since Ubuntu 18.04 has reached feature freeze we started to think about 18.10.
One of the changes ahead is the dropping of the mail-stack-delivery package (part of dovecot).

This package was created a long time ago with the intend to simplify several steps of a mail server setup, for example to get a safe ssl secured default installation.
It is essentially almost only a postinst to set up some better defaults.

But the bit that I can derive from bug reports and such indicates that it is almost unused these days and has become an unused maintenance debt (it started to show it's age - no more matching e.g. recommended ciphers).

Furthermore the world has moved on:
- For encryption ssl is now default in dovecot-core
- In general the hosting your own mail service has become less attractive
- If users want to set up a mail server still they often look more for e.g. for Mail-in-a-box [1]

For all of these reasons we intend to drop the mail-stack-delivery package in 18.10

If there is a big love/consumption of the package we might have missed please speak up.
In that case we likely want to drop it from dovecot still, but community could take over maintenance in a separate package that lives in universe.

--
Christian Ehrhardt
Software Engineer, Ubuntu Server

Re: Deprecation notice for mail-stack-delivery (dovecot) - planned to be dropped in 18.10

Phillip Susi-2
Last year I got fed up with gmail randomly deleting one of the
"duplicate" messages I would get via a mailing list as well as being
Cc'd on, so I registered my own domain and set up mail-stack-delivery on
a $5/month vps with Amazon lightsail.  I guess I'll need to take a
closer look at what this package actually does and see if I can help fix
any problems with it.

On 3/20/2018 10:08 AM, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:

> Hello,
> since Ubuntu 18.04 has reached feature freeze we started to think about
> 18.10.
> One of the changes ahead is the dropping of the mail-stack-delivery package
> (part of dovecot).
>
> This package was created a long time ago with the intend to simplify
> several steps of a mail server setup, for example to get a safe ssl secured
> default installation.
> It is essentially almost only a postinst to set up some better defaults.
>
> But the bit that I can derive from bug reports and such indicates that it
> is almost unused these days and has become an unused maintenance debt (it
> started to show it's age - no more matching e.g. recommended ciphers).
>
> Furthermore the world has moved on:
> - For encryption ssl is now default in dovecot-core
> - In general the hosting your own mail service has become less attractive
> - If users want to set up a mail server still they often look more for e.g.
> for Mail-in-a-box [1]
>
> For all of these reasons we intend to drop the mail-stack-delivery package
> in 18.10
>
> If there is a big love/consumption of the package we might have missed
> please speak up.
> In that case we likely want to drop it from dovecot still, but community
> could take over maintenance in a separate package that lives in universe.
>
> [1]: https://mailinabox.email/

Re: Deprecation notice for mail-stack-delivery (dovecot) - planned to be dropped in 18.10

Serge E. Hallyn
I installed by hand, but am very interested in upping the number
of people using self-hosted email, so interested in helping with
that.

-serge

Quoting Phillip Susi ([hidden email]):