Determine if Ubuntu 17.10 (desktop) is using Wayland

Determine if Ubuntu 17.10 (desktop) is using Wayland

J Doe-2
Hi,

If I recall correctly, Ubuntu 17.10 (desktop version), uses Wayland if the computer’s hardware supports it.  Is there an easy way for me to determine on a running 17.10 machine if Wayland is being used or if the OS is falling back to X ?

Thanks,

- J

Re: Determine if Ubuntu 17.10 (desktop) is using Wayland

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 22:10:49 -0500, J Doe wrote:
>If I recall correctly, Ubuntu 17.10 (desktop version), uses Wayland if
>the computer’s hardware supports it.  Is there an easy way for me to
>determine on a running 17.10 machine if Wayland is being used or if
>the OS is falling back to X ?

AFAIK from threads on this mailing list, Wayland comes with software
pitfalls, for example the current method to allow users to access GUIs
with root privileges, e.g. for GUIs to install packages, doesn't work
anymore. AFAIK the user could chose by the display manager's greeter, if
starting a user session with X or wayland is wanted. I wonder what's
used by the display manager's greeter itself ;).

On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 06:32:29 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 22:10:49 -0500, J Doe wrote:
>>If I recall correctly, Ubuntu 17.10 (desktop version), uses Wayland if
>>the computer’s hardware supports it.  Is there an easy way for me to
>>determine on a running 17.10 machine if Wayland is being used or if
>>the OS is falling back to X ?
>
>AFAIK from threads on this mailing list, Wayland comes with software
>pitfalls, for example the current method to allow users to access GUIs
>with root privileges, e.g. for GUIs to install packages, doesn't work
>anymore. AFAIK the user could chose by the display manager's greeter,
>if starting a user session with X or wayland is wanted. I wonder what's
>used by the display manager's greeter itself ;).

$ ps aux | grep -i xorg-server

Re: Determine if Ubuntu 17.10 (desktop) is using Wayland

Petter Adsen-2
On 05. des. 2017 04:10, J Doe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I recall correctly, Ubuntu 17.10 (desktop version), uses Wayland if the computer’s hardware supports it.  Is there an easy way for me to determine on a running 17.10 machine if Wayland is being used or if the OS is falling back to X ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - J

Try 'loginctl show-session c2 -p Type'. If c2 doesn't work, get your
session number from 'loginctl list-sessions'

Petter