Diodon no longer required message?

Mark Lawrence
Good morning/afternoon/evening,

I understood that in 20.10 diodon is part of the officially supported
packages and that clipit had been deprecated if not removed completely.
So for the last few weeks instead of clipit I've been very happily using
diodon which I actually prefer.

Having a tidy up of my system I noticed clipit so thought I don't need
it, I'll remove it.  Hence:-

sudo apt-get remove clipit
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
   diodon libayatana-appindicator3-1 libayatana-ido3-0.4-0
libayatana-indicator3-7 libdiodon0 libxapian30 libxdo3
libzeitgeist-2.0-0 xdotool
   zeitgeist-core
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them...

Now with the above I'm a tad concerned that in the future I might
inadvertently use the autoremove option and not engage my MK I eyeballs
properly and remove diodon.  What is the status of diodon given my
remarks in the first paragraph above?  What should I be doing about this
situation?

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

Re: Diodon no longer required message?

Francis Grizzly Smit

Diodon is awesome I use it too, be careful removing old stuff as you never quite know what you may be losing

--
   .~.     In my life God comes first....
   /V\         but Linux is pretty high after that :-D

Re: Diodon no longer required message?

Colin Law
On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 at 20:35, Mark Lawrence <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good morning/afternoon/evening,
>
> I understood that in 20.10 diodon is part of the officially supported
> packages and that clipit had been deprecated if not removed completely.
> So for the last few weeks instead of clipit I've been very happily using
> diodon which I actually prefer.
>
> Having a tidy up of my system I noticed clipit so thought I don't need
> it, I'll remove it.  Hence:-
>
> sudo apt-get remove clipit
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
> required:
>    diodon libayatana-appindicator3-1 libayatana-ido3-0.4-0
> libayatana-indicator3-7 libdiodon0 libxapian30 libxdo3
> libzeitgeist-2.0-0 xdotool
>    zeitgeist-core
> Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them...
>
> Now with the above I'm a tad concerned that in the future I might
> inadvertently use the autoremove option and not engage my MK I eyeballs
> properly and remove diodon.  What is the status of diodon given my
> remarks in the first paragraph above?  What should I be doing about this
> situation?

If you manually install diodon so the system knows you want it then it
will not autoremove it.  When you tell it to install I think you will
get a message saying marked as manually installed, or something
similar.

Colin

On 09/12/2020 21:26, Colin Law wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 at 20:35, Mark Lawrence <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Good morning/afternoon/evening,
>>
>> I understood that in 20.10 diodon is part of the officially supported
>> packages and that clipit had been deprecated if not removed completely.
>> So for the last few weeks instead of clipit I've been very happily using
>> diodon which I actually prefer.
>>
>> Having a tidy up of my system I noticed clipit so thought I don't need
>> it, I'll remove it.  Hence:-
>>
>> sudo apt-get remove clipit
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
>> required:
>>     diodon libayatana-appindicator3-1 libayatana-ido3-0.4-0
>> libayatana-indicator3-7 libdiodon0 libxapian30 libxdo3
>> libzeitgeist-2.0-0 xdotool
>>     zeitgeist-core
>> Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them...
>>
>> Now with the above I'm a tad concerned that in the future I might
>> inadvertently use the autoremove option and not engage my MK I eyeballs
>> properly and remove diodon.  What is the status of diodon given my
>> remarks in the first paragraph above?  What should I be doing about this
>> situation?
>
> If you manually install diodon so the system knows you want it then it
> will not autoremove it.  When you tell it to install I think you will
> get a message saying marked as manually installed, or something
> similar.
>
> Colin

The whole point is I haven't installed diodon, I've checked back through
the terminator command history to make sure that is the case.  I believe
that ubuntu has put it on my system as a replacement for clipit but now
it's telling me that it's no longer needed.

On Thu, 10 Dec 2020, 07:35 Colin Law, <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020, 22:11 Mark Lawrence, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 09/12/2020 21:26, Colin Law wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 at 20:35, Mark Lawrence <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Good morning/afternoon/evening,
>>
>> I understood that in 20.10 diodon is part of the officially supported
>> packages and that clipit had been deprecated if not removed completely.
>> So for the last few weeks instead of clipit I've been very happily using
>> diodon which I actually prefer.
>>
>> Having a tidy up of my system I noticed clipit so thought I don't need
>> it, I'll remove it.  Hence:-
>>
>> sudo apt-get remove clipit
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
>> required:
>>     diodon libayatana-appindicator3-1 libayatana-ido3-0.4-0
>> libayatana-indicator3-7 libdiodon0 libxapian30 libxdo3
>> libzeitgeist-2.0-0 xdotool
>>     zeitgeist-core
>> Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them...
>>
>> Now with the above I'm a tad concerned that in the future I might
>> inadvertently use the autoremove option and not engage my MK I eyeballs
>> properly and remove diodon.  What is the status of diodon given my
>> remarks in the first paragraph above?  What should I be doing about this
>> situation?
>
> If you manually install diodon so the system knows you want it then it
> will not autoremove it.  When you tell it to install I think you will
> get a message saying marked as manually installed, or something
> similar.
>
> Colin

The whole point is I haven't installed diodon, I've checked back through
the terminator command history to make sure that is the case.  I believe
that ubuntu has put it on my system as a replacement for clipit but now
it's telling me that it's no longer needed.

Not quite, something else that was installed (possibly clipit) pulled in diodon, whatever it was has been removed so now the system thinks that diodon is no longer needed. If you want to keep it installed then run
sudo apt install diodon
And then the system will know not to autoremove it.

Colin

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

Re: Diodon no longer required message?

Keith-7
On 12/10/20 1:36 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Dec 2020, 07:35 Colin Law, <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     On Wed, 9 Dec 2020, 22:11 Mark Lawrence, <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[snip]

>         The whole point is I haven't installed diodon, I've checked back
>         through
>         the terminator command history to make sure that is the case.  I
>         believe
>         that ubuntu has put it on my system as a replacement for clipit
>         but now
>         it's telling me that it's no longer needed.
>

>     Not quite, something else that was installed (possibly clipit)
>     pulled in diodon, whatever it was has been removed so now the system
>     thinks that diodon is no longer needed. If you want to keep it
>     installed then run
>     sudo apt install diodon
>     And then the system will know not to autoremove it.
>
>     Colin

Apt-mark comes in handy here.

$ sudo apt-mark manual diodon

Changes the install status from auto to manual.

--
Keith