Disable autostart from mysql

Hartmut-10
Hi,

how can I disable the autostart from mysql during boot? I removed
mysql from all runlevels with 'sudo update-rc.d -f mysql remove', but
mysql is still running after system boot.

Thanks
Hartmut

Re: Disable autostart from mysql

Colin Law-4
On 6 March 2011 14:41, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how can I disable the autostart from mysql during boot? I removed
> mysql from all runlevels with 'sudo update-rc.d -f mysql remove', but
> mysql is still running after system boot.

Assuming you are running 10.10 or above then you could install
jobs-admin which provides a graphical interface for controlling
services.

Colin

Re: Disable autostart from mysql

Jeff Lane-2
On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 10:37, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6 March 2011 14:41, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> how can I disable the autostart from mysql during boot? I removed
>> mysql from all runlevels with 'sudo update-rc.d -f mysql remove', but
>> mysql is still running after system boot.
>
> Assuming you are running 10.10 or above then you could install
> jobs-admin which provides a graphical interface for controlling
> services.

Also, you could look in /etc/init.d for startup scripts, or if you're
running desktop and not server, also look in /etc/xdg/autostart/

Re: Disable autostart from mysql

Tom H-4
On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:

> how can I disable the autostart from mysql during boot? I removed
> mysql from all runlevels with 'sudo update-rc.d -f mysql remove', but
> mysql is still running after system boot.

I think that mysql's been "upstarted" and its startup is controlled
through "/etc/init/mysql.conf".

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 5:21 PM, J <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 10:37, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 6 March 2011 14:41, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> how can I disable the autostart from mysql during boot? I removed
>>> mysql from all runlevels with 'sudo update-rc.d -f mysql remove', but
>>> mysql is still running after system boot.
>>
>> Assuming you are running 10.10 or above then you could install
>> jobs-admin which provides a graphical interface for controlling
>> services.
>
> Also, you could look in /etc/init.d for startup scripts, or if you're
> running desktop and not server, also look in /etc/xdg/autostart/

the script /etc/init.d/postfix shows like:
--------------
$ cat /etc/init.d/postfix
#!/bin/sh -e

# Start or stop Postfix
#
# LaMont Jones <[hidden email]>
# based on sendmail's init.d script

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          postfix mail-transport-agent
# Required-Start:    $local_fs $remote_fs $syslog $named $network $time
# Required-Stop:     $local_fs $remote_fs $syslog $named $network
# Should-Start:      postgresql mysql clamav-daemon postgrey spamassassin
# Should-Stop:       postgresql mysql clamav-daemon postgrey spamassassin
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:      0 1 6
# Short-Description: start and stop the Postfix Mail Transport Agent
### END INIT INFO

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> how can I disable the autostart from mysql during boot? I removed
>> mysql from all runlevels with 'sudo update-rc.d -f mysql remove', but
>> mysql is still running after system boot.
>
> I think that mysql's been "upstarted" and its startup is controlled
> through "/etc/init/mysql.conf".

The file /etc/init/mysql.conf contains
----------
start on (net-device-up
          and local-filesystems
          and runlevel [2345])

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:

> the script /etc/init.d/postfix shows like:
>
> $ cat /etc/init.d/postfix
> #!/bin/sh -e
>
> # Start or stop Postfix
> #
> # LaMont Jones <[hidden email]>
> # based on sendmail's init.d script
>
> ### BEGIN INIT INFO
> # Provides:          postfix mail-transport-agent
> # Required-Start:    $local_fs $remote_fs $syslog $named $network $time
> # Required-Stop:     $local_fs $remote_fs $syslog $named $network
> # Should-Start:      postgresql mysql clamav-daemon postgrey spamassassin
> # Should-Stop:       postgresql mysql clamav-daemon postgrey spamassassin
> # Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
> # Default-Stop:      0 1 6
> # Short-Description: start and stop the Postfix Mail Transport Agent
> ### END INIT INFO
>
> Is the "Should-Start:" only an Information or is it analysed by a
> script and this starts my mysql?

This LSB header only applies if you're using insserv.

The items listed in "Required-Start" are facilities that must be
available to start the script.

The items listed in "Should-Start" are facilities that must be
available to start the script if they're installed.

insserv uses this information to number the rcX.d symlinks.

As with upstart, update-rc.d'll not manage postfix's startup if you're
using insserv.

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 9:41 AM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> how can I disable the autostart from mysql during boot? I removed
>>> mysql from all runlevels with 'sudo update-rc.d -f mysql remove', but
>>> mysql is still running after system boot.
>>
>> I think that mysql's been "upstarted" and its startup is controlled
>> through "/etc/init/mysql.conf".
>
> The file /etc/init/mysql.conf contains
> ----------
> start on (net-device-up
>          and local-filesystems
>          and runlevel [2345])
> ----------
> Is it clever to remove the content between the brackets? Or isn't this
> a good idea?

If you'd like to disable mysql's auto-start, you should comment out
the three lines - and (since I don't know whether these changes are
respected) check that your changes aren't reversed when mysql's
updated.

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Tom H <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Hartmut <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I think that mysql's been "upstarted" and its startup is controlled
>>> through "/etc/init/mysql.conf".
>>
>> The file /etc/init/mysql.conf contains
>> ----------
>> start on (net-device-up
>>          and local-filesystems
>>          and runlevel [2345])
>> ----------
>> Is it clever to remove the content between the brackets? Or isn't this
>> a good idea?
>
> If you'd like to disable mysql's auto-start, you should comment out
> the three lines - and (since I don't know whether these changes are
> respected) check that your changes aren't reversed when mysql's
> updated.

Hi Tom,

thank you very much for your extensive explanations. I will try this,
next time I'm on this system.

Greetings
Hartmut