Disable sound?

Ken D'Ambrosio
Hey, all.  Is there a good way to entirely disable sound?  I'm running
Ubuntu in a VM, and, for reasons I haven't entirely discerned (and don't
have time to troubleshoot) Chrome + sound + HDMI-at-home = bad news.
V-e-r-y slow response, etc., etc.  (Firefox works fine, but I'm already
settled into Chrome.)  As it's running in a VM, I'm more than happy to
use the host OS to do audio (a Mac).

So, anyway: maybe blacklist the audio kernel modules?  Or...?

Thanks!

-Ken

Re: Disable sound?

Robert Heller
At Mon, 02 Jul 2018 13:40:01 -0400 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey, all.  Is there a good way to entirely disable sound?  I'm running
> Ubuntu in a VM, and, for reasons I haven't entirely discerned (and don't
> have time to troubleshoot) Chrome + sound + HDMI-at-home = bad news.
> V-e-r-y slow response, etc., etc.  (Firefox works fine, but I'm already
> settled into Chrome.)  As it's running in a VM, I'm more than happy to
> use the host OS to do audio (a Mac).
>
> So, anyway: maybe blacklist the audio kernel modules?  Or...?

What sort of VM system are you using? (VMWare, VirtualBox, KVM, something
else?) Depending on the VM system, one *should* be able to simply not have any
sort of "sound card"...  This basically sould have much the same effect as
blacklisting the sound subsystem, since the audio modules won't load if there
isn't anything to connect to.

Otherwise I don't know.  I don't use the "console" of any of my VM -- I only
connect via slogin and only use X11 over a SSH tunnel ("graphics" only, no
audio functionallity possible that way -- totally fine by me).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933

Re: Disable sound?

MR ZenWiz
On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 10:40 AM, Ken D'Ambrosio <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey, all.  Is there a good way to entirely disable sound?  I'm running
> Ubuntu in a VM, and, for reasons I haven't entirely discerned (and don't
> have time to troubleshoot) Chrome + sound + HDMI-at-home = bad news.
> V-e-r-y slow response, etc., etc.  (Firefox works fine, but I'm already
> settled into Chrome.)  As it's running in a VM, I'm more than happy to use
> the host OS to do audio (a Mac).
>
> So, anyway: maybe blacklist the audio kernel modules?  Or...?

I use VB at work to run Xubuntu (they have a thing about "company
laptops must run Windows" here in the US).  When I leave the sound on
and use it, it invariably hangs the VM.  There's a VB machine setting
to disable the sound.  I use that and no problems.

Well, unless I *want* sound, in which case I have to use the host.

HTH,
MR