Display a "Welcome to Kubuntu" on first boot

Display a "Welcome to Kubuntu" on first boot

Clive Johnston-3
There was some discussion at the end of Yakkety Yak, about maybe following the lead of Linux Mint and having a welcome screen on first run which would act as a signpost to resources and places to get help or how to contribute.  I personally like this idea and decided to look into it.

I grabbing the code and hacked a bit to basically make it more Kubuntu branded and pointing to our resources.  So this is were I am up to.

What do you guys think? Do you like the idea?

Clive

Re: Display a "Welcome to Kubuntu" on first boot

Clay Weber-2
On Thursday, November 10, 2016 2:00:48 AM EST Clive Johnston wrote:

> There was some discussion at the end of Yakkety Yak, about maybe following
> the lead of Linux Mint and having a welcome screen on first run which would
> act as a signpost to resources and places to get help or how to
> contribute.  I personally like this idea and decided to look into it.
>
> I grabbing the code and hacked a bit to basically make it more Kubuntu
> branded and pointing to our resources.  So this is were I am up to.
>
> https://s16.postimg.org/jngn4afb9/Kubuntu_Welcome.png
>
> What do you guys think? Do you like the idea?
>
> Clive

Kubuntu has historically refrained from having these pop up and first-run
items, and I do not see a reason to change from this policy.

However, having content that appears in the default Folder View plasma widget
would be a perfect place for this.

If this sort of item is ever to be added, then really is should be written in
qml :)

--
Clay Weber

Re: Display a "Welcome to Kubuntu" on first boot

Aaron Honeycutt-2

I do really like the idea Clive, I think this is what we need to define Kubuntu from other KDE distros, helps us direct contributors. Perfect but I do agree about writing it in QML or maybe a few links in Folder View widget. Chakra does that quite nicely I think.

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016, 10:10 PM Clay Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thursday, November 10, 2016 2:00:48 AM EST Clive Johnston wrote:
> There was some discussion at the end of Yakkety Yak, about maybe following
> the lead of Linux Mint and having a welcome screen on first run which would
> act as a signpost to resources and places to get help or how to
> contribute.  I personally like this idea and decided to look into it.
>
> I grabbing the code and hacked a bit to basically make it more Kubuntu
> branded and pointing to our resources.  So this is were I am up to.
>
> https://s16.postimg.org/jngn4afb9/Kubuntu_Welcome.png
>
> What do you guys think? Do you like the idea?
>
> Clive

Kubuntu has historically refrained from having these pop up and first-run
items, and I do not see a reason to change from this policy.

However, having content that appears in the default Folder View plasma widget
would be a perfect place for this.

If this sort of item is ever to be added, then really is should be written in
qml :)

--
Clay Weber

Aaron Honeycutt
- Ubuntu Fl Loco South Lead
- Kubuntu Council Member

Re: Display a "Welcome to Kubuntu" on first boot

Valorie Zimmerman
On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 7:10 PM, Clay Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thursday, November 10, 2016 2:00:48 AM EST Clive Johnston wrote:
>> There was some discussion at the end of Yakkety Yak, about maybe following
>> the lead of Linux Mint and having a welcome screen on first run which would
>> act as a signpost to resources and places to get help or how to
>> contribute.  I personally like this idea and decided to look into it.
>>
>> I grabbing the code and hacked a bit to basically make it more Kubuntu
>> branded and pointing to our resources.  So this is were I am up to.
>>
>> https://s16.postimg.org/jngn4afb9/Kubuntu_Welcome.png
>>
>> What do you guys think? Do you like the idea?
>>
>> Clive
>
> Kubuntu has historically refrained from having these pop up and first-run
> items, and I do not see a reason to change from this policy.
>
> However, having content that appears in the default Folder View plasma widget
> would be a perfect place for this.
>
> If this sort of item is ever to be added, then really is should be written in
> qml :)
>
> --
> Clay Weber

Hi Clay, I don't recall discussion of providing something like this,
in the past. Can you recall when it was discussed, and why it was
decided against?

In my opinion, the past is one data point. I'd like to see reasons for
and against. I see:

Pro - increases our branding, points to help and also to ways to grow
the community

Con - it is one more thing we need to maintain

Valorie

Re: Display a "Welcome to Kubuntu" on first boot

Scott Kitterman-3
On Wednesday, November 09, 2016 08:27:23 PM Valorie Zimmerman wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 7:10 PM, Clay Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thursday, November 10, 2016 2:00:48 AM EST Clive Johnston wrote:
> >> There was some discussion at the end of Yakkety Yak, about maybe
> >> following
> >> the lead of Linux Mint and having a welcome screen on first run which
> >> would
> >> act as a signpost to resources and places to get help or how to
> >> contribute.  I personally like this idea and decided to look into it.
> >>
> >> I grabbing the code and hacked a bit to basically make it more Kubuntu
> >> branded and pointing to our resources.  So this is were I am up to.
> >>
> >> https://s16.postimg.org/jngn4afb9/Kubuntu_Welcome.png
> >>
> >> What do you guys think? Do you like the idea?
> >>
> >> Clive
> >
> > Kubuntu has historically refrained from having these pop up and first-run
> > items, and I do not see a reason to change from this policy.
> >
> > However, having content that appears in the default Folder View plasma
> > widget would be a perfect place for this.
> >
> > If this sort of item is ever to be added, then really is should be written
> > in qml :)
> >
> > --
> > Clay Weber
>
> Hi Clay, I don't recall discussion of providing something like this,
> in the past. Can you recall when it was discussed, and why it was
> decided against?
>
> In my opinion, the past is one data point. I'd like to see reasons for
> and against. I see:
>
> Pro - increases our branding, points to help and also to ways to grow
> the community
>
> Con - it is one more thing we need to maintain

Jonathan was extremely anti first-run dialogues since I got involved in the
project.  You all are, of course, free to change it, but AFAIK, Kubuntu has
been no first-run since ~the beginning.  Personally, I've always liked that.

Scott K

Re: Display a "Welcome to Kubuntu" on first boot

Clive Johnston
ah I was unaware this was a policy.

The discussion was about how to engage more with our users and to try and get
more people to contribute.  It was pointed out how Linux Mint do it and it
might be a factor in how they seem to be very successful at creating and
sustaining a community (#1 on http://distrowatch.com/) .

I do feel that Kubuntu is in a different place now to when the policy was
originally drawn up, but I'm not going to waste time on something no-one
wants.

Thanks for your feedback,
Clive

On Thursday, 10 November 2016 01:53:04 GMT Scott Kitterman wrote:

> On Wednesday, November 09, 2016 08:27:23 PM Valorie Zimmerman wrote:

> > > Kubuntu has historically refrained from having these pop up and
> > > first-run
> > > items, and I do not see a reason to change from this policy.
> > >
> > > However, having content that appears in the default Folder View plasma
> > > widget would be a perfect place for this.
> > >
> > > If this sort of item is ever to be added, then really is should be
> > > written
> > > in qml :)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Clay Weber
> >
> > Hi Clay, I don't recall discussion of providing something like this,
> > in the past. Can you recall when it was discussed, and why it was
> > decided against?
> >
> > In my opinion, the past is one data point. I'd like to see reasons for
> > and against. I see:
> >
> > Pro - increases our branding, points to help and also to ways to grow
> > the community
> >
> > Con - it is one more thing we need to maintain
>
> Jonathan was extremely anti first-run dialogues since I got involved in the
> project.  You all are, of course, free to change it, but AFAIK, Kubuntu has
> been no first-run since ~the beginning.  Personally, I've always liked that.
>
> Scott K

Re: Display a "Welcome to Kubuntu" on first boot

Aaron Honeycutt-2

I agree that we are in a different place then when our concept was made, I love the idea of pulling in new people to contribute to the community.

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016, 8:16 AM Clive Johnston <[hidden email]> wrote:
ah I was unaware this was a policy.

The discussion was about how to engage more with our users and to try and get
more people to contribute.  It was pointed out how Linux Mint do it and it
might be a factor in how they seem to be very successful at creating and
sustaining a community (#1 on http://distrowatch.com/) .

I do feel that Kubuntu is in a different place now to when the policy was
originally drawn up, but I'm not going to waste time on something no-one
wants.

Thanks for your feedback,
Clive

On Thursday, 10 November 2016 01:53:04 GMT Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 09, 2016 08:27:23 PM Valorie Zimmerman wrote:

> > > Kubuntu has historically refrained from having these pop up and
> > > first-run
> > > items, and I do not see a reason to change from this policy.
> > >
> > > However, having content that appears in the default Folder View plasma
> > > widget would be a perfect place for this.
> > >
> > > If this sort of item is ever to be added, then really is should be
> > > written
> > > in qml :)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Clay Weber
> >
> > Hi Clay, I don't recall discussion of providing something like this,
> > in the past. Can you recall when it was discussed, and why it was
> > decided against?
> >
> > In my opinion, the past is one data point. I'd like to see reasons for
> > and against. I see:
> >
> > Pro - increases our branding, points to help and also to ways to grow
> > the community
> >
> > Con - it is one more thing we need to maintain
>
> Jonathan was extremely anti first-run dialogues since I got involved in the
> project.  You all are, of course, free to change it, but AFAIK, Kubuntu has
> been no first-run since ~the beginning.  Personally, I've always liked that.
>
> Scott K

Aaron Honeycutt
- Ubuntu Fl Loco South Lead
- Kubuntu Council Member

Re: Display a "Welcome to Kubuntu" on first boot

Scott Kitterman-3
In case I wasn't clear:

I think my opinion should have zero weight on this.  I only wanted to pass on
the historical background.

Scott K

On Thursday, November 10, 2016 01:16:01 PM Clive Johnston wrote:

> ah I was unaware this was a policy.
>
> The discussion was about how to engage more with our users and to try and
> get more people to contribute.  It was pointed out how Linux Mint do it and
> it might be a factor in how they seem to be very successful at creating and
> sustaining a community (#1 on http://distrowatch.com/) .
>
> I do feel that Kubuntu is in a different place now to when the policy was
> originally drawn up, but I'm not going to waste time on something no-one
> wants.
>
> Thanks for your feedback,
> Clive
>
> On Thursday, 10 November 2016 01:53:04 GMT Scott Kitterman wrote:

> > > Hi Clay, I don't recall discussion of providing something like this,
> > > in the past. Can you recall when it was discussed, and why it was
> > > decided against?
> > >
> > > In my opinion, the past is one data point. I'd like to see reasons for
> > > and against. I see:
> > >
> > > Pro - increases our branding, points to help and also to ways to grow
> > > the community
> > >
> > > Con - it is one more thing we need to maintain
> >
> > Jonathan was extremely anti first-run dialogues since I got involved in
> > the
> > project.  You all are, of course, free to change it, but AFAIK, Kubuntu
> > has
> > been no first-run since ~the beginning.  Personally, I've always liked
> > that.
> >
> > Scott K

Re: Display a "Welcome to Kubuntu" on first boot

Rik Mills-2
I certainly like the idea of giving users a starting place to signpost
them post install on first run.

Just being presented with a default desktop is very clean, but a
somewhat 'what now? how do I get help etc' moment for many new or
returning linux/KDE/kubuntu users.

Would be ideal in QML etc, but for now I would say we have to manage our
coding expectations with a bit of realism based on the skills we have in
the  team. We can learn and work towards more ideal solutions in the
meantime.

Rik

On 10/11/16 02:00, Clive Johnston wrote:

> There was some discussion at the end of Yakkety Yak, about maybe
> following the lead of Linux Mint and having a welcome screen on first
> run which would act as a signpost to resources and places to get help or
> how to contribute.  I personally like this idea and decided to look into it.
>
> I grabbing the code and hacked a bit to basically make it more Kubuntu
> branded and pointing to our resources.  So this is were I am up to.
>
> https://s16.postimg.org/jngn4afb9/Kubuntu_Welcome.png
>
> What do you guys think? Do you like the idea?
>
> Clive

Re: Display a "Welcome to Kubuntu" on first boot

Marco Parillo
First, I think everybody's opinion matters, and as a tribal elder (not sure you want that title), yours especially matters.
Kubuntu has been pretty vanilla KDE, and, on balance, I have considered its fidelity to the KDE developers' vision (when practical) to be a strength.
Maybe a compromise is to go back having a folder on the default activity and put a launcher to the Welcome there, or a launcher to the Welcome in the favorites on the Kicker Application Launcher (my preference).

As far as wanting to understand the historical background before changing a practice, that is a good idea in general. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Chesterton%27s_fence

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 9:19 AM, Scott Kitterman <[hidden email]> wrote:
In case I wasn't clear:

I think my opinion should have zero weight on this.  I only wanted to pass on
the historical background.

Scott K

On Thursday, November 10, 2016 01:16:01 PM Clive Johnston wrote:
> ah I was unaware this was a policy.
>
> The discussion was about how to engage more with our users and to try and
> get more people to contribute.  It was pointed out how Linux Mint do it and
> it might be a factor in how they seem to be very successful at creating and
> sustaining a community (#1 on http://distrowatch.com/) .
>
> I do feel that Kubuntu is in a different place now to when the policy was
> originally drawn up, but I'm not going to waste time on something no-one
> wants.
>
> Thanks for your feedback,
> Clive
>
> On Thursday, 10 November 2016 01:53:04 GMT Scott Kitterman wrote:

> > > Hi Clay, I don't recall discussion of providing something like this,
> > > in the past. Can you recall when it was discussed, and why it was
> > > decided against?
> > >
> > > In my opinion, the past is one data point. I'd like to see reasons for
> > > and against. I see:
> > >
> > > Pro - increases our branding, points to help and also to ways to grow
> > > the community
> > >
> > > Con - it is one more thing we need to maintain
> >
> > Jonathan was extremely anti first-run dialogues since I got involved in
> > the
> > project.  You all are, of course, free to change it, but AFAIK, Kubuntu
> > has
> > been no first-run since ~the beginning.  Personally, I've always liked
> > that.
> >
> > Scott K

Re: Display a "Welcome to Kubuntu" on first boot

Aaron Honeycutt-2
I really like how Chakra does it with a widget:

I think it can define who we are and how a welcoming community we are.

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 1:35 PM, Marco Parillo <[hidden email]> wrote:
First, I think everybody's opinion matters, and as a tribal elder (not sure you want that title), yours especially matters.
Kubuntu has been pretty vanilla KDE, and, on balance, I have considered its fidelity to the KDE developers' vision (when practical) to be a strength.
Maybe a compromise is to go back having a folder on the default activity and put a launcher to the Welcome there, or a launcher to the Welcome in the favorites on the Kicker Application Launcher (my preference).

As far as wanting to understand the historical background before changing a practice, that is a good idea in general. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Chesterton%27s_fence

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 9:19 AM, Scott Kitterman <[hidden email]> wrote:
In case I wasn't clear:

I think my opinion should have zero weight on this.  I only wanted to pass on
the historical background.

Scott K

On Thursday, November 10, 2016 01:16:01 PM Clive Johnston wrote:
> ah I was unaware this was a policy.
>
> The discussion was about how to engage more with our users and to try and
> get more people to contribute.  It was pointed out how Linux Mint do it and
> it might be a factor in how they seem to be very successful at creating and
> sustaining a community (#1 on http://distrowatch.com/) .
>
> I do feel that Kubuntu is in a different place now to when the policy was
> originally drawn up, but I'm not going to waste time on something no-one
> wants.
>
> Thanks for your feedback,
> Clive
>
> On Thursday, 10 November 2016 01:53:04 GMT Scott Kitterman wrote:

> > > Hi Clay, I don't recall discussion of providing something like this,
> > > in the past. Can you recall when it was discussed, and why it was
> > > decided against?
> > >
> > > In my opinion, the past is one data point. I'd like to see reasons for
> > > and against. I see:
> > >
> > > Pro - increases our branding, points to help and also to ways to grow
> > > the community
> > >
> > > Con - it is one more thing we need to maintain
> >
> > Jonathan was extremely anti first-run dialogues since I got involved in
> > the
> > project.  You all are, of course, free to change it, but AFAIK, Kubuntu
> > has
> > been no first-run since ~the beginning.  Personally, I've always liked
> > that.
> >
> > Scott K

Re: Display a "Welcome to Kubuntu" on first boot

ovidiub13
I like the idea as well. Should we try to make a fork and port the one from Chakra? I really like that one as well.

Ovidiu - Florin BOGDAN