Display problem inn Ubuntu Software center

Display problem inn Ubuntu Software center

Curt
I normally use synaptic but I found it would not install Ardour
(dependency issues) while the software center does. (?)

The problem is that looking at the gui all I see are icons and their
star ratings.
There is no text until I click on an icon and then it's very hard to
read and only then does the "More Info" and "Install" buttons appear but
still no description.

Is there some system display setting somewhere that needs an
adjustment?.. a different theme maybe?
I' not sure where to start.

Re: Display problem inn Ubuntu Software center

Colin Law
On 28 June 2015 at 15:33, C.Tresenriter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I normally use synaptic but I found it would not install Ardour
> (dependency issues) while the software center does. (?)
>
> The problem is that looking at the gui all I see are icons and their
> star ratings.
> There is no text until I click on an icon and then it's very hard to
> read and only then does the "More Info" and "Install" buttons appear but
> still no description.
>
> Is there some system display setting somewhere that needs an
> adjustment?.. a different theme maybe?
> I' not sure where to start.

Which version of Ubuntu and is it standard ubuntu or one of the
flavours (Gnome for example).

Can you take a screenshot and put it somewhere so we can understand
what you are seeing?

Colin

On Sun, 2015-06-28 at 17:26 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> On 28 June 2015 at 15:33, C.Tresenriter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I normally use synaptic but I found it would not install Ardour
> > (dependency issues) while the software center does. (?)
> >
> > The problem is that looking at the gui all I see are icons and their
> > star ratings.
> > There is no text until I click on an icon and then it's very hard to
> > read and only then does the "More Info" and "Install" buttons appear but
> > still no description.
> >
> > Is there some system display setting somewhere that needs an
> > adjustment?.. a different theme maybe?
> > I' not sure where to start.
>
> Which version of Ubuntu and is it standard ubuntu or one of the
> flavours (Gnome for example).
>
> Can you take a screenshot and put it somewhere so we can understand
> what you are seeing?
>
> Colin

Here is a link to the screen shot
20114737.png.html

The machine is Ubuntu Gnome 14.04

Re: Display problem inn Ubuntu Software center

Curt

On Sun, 2015-06-28 at 17:26 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> On 28 June 2015 at 15:33, C.Tresenriter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I normally use synaptic but I found it would not install Ardour
> > (dependency issues) while the software center does. (?)
> >
> > The problem is that looking at the gui all I see are icons and their
> > star ratings.
> > There is no text until I click on an icon and then it's very hard to
> > read and only then does the "More Info" and "Install" buttons appear but
> > still no description.
> >
> > Is there some system display setting somewhere that needs an
> > adjustment?.. a different theme maybe?
> > I' not sure where to start.
>
> Which version of Ubuntu and is it standard ubuntu or one of the
> flavours (Gnome for example).
>
> Can you take a screenshot and put it somewhere so we can understand
> what you are seeing?
>
> Colin

Sorry, bad link in the last post.
20114737.png.html?sort=3&o=0

Re: Display problem inn Ubuntu Software center

Curt

On Sun, 2015-06-28 at 17:26 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> On 28 June 2015 at 15:33, C.Tresenriter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I normally use synaptic but I found it would not install Ardour
> > (dependency issues) while the software center does. (?)
> >
> > The problem is that looking at the gui all I see are icons and their
> > star ratings.
> > There is no text until I click on an icon and then it's very hard to
> > read and only then does the "More Info" and "Install" buttons appear but
> > still no description.
> >
> > Is there some system display setting somewhere that needs an
> > adjustment?.. a different theme maybe?
> > I' not sure where to start.
>
> Which version of Ubuntu and is it standard ubuntu or one of the
> flavours (Gnome for example).
>
> Can you take a screenshot and put it somewhere so we can understand
> what you are seeing?
>
> Colin

Let me try again.
20114737.png.html?sort=3&o=0

Re: Display problem inn Ubuntu Software center (With corrected link)

Curt

On Sun, 2015-06-28 at 13:02 -0500, C.Tresenriter wrote:

> On Sun, 2015-06-28 at 17:26 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> > On 28 June 2015 at 15:33, C.Tresenriter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I normally use synaptic but I found it would not install Ardour
> > > (dependency issues) while the software center does. (?)
> > >
> > > The problem is that looking at the gui all I see are icons and their
> > > star ratings.
> > > There is no text until I click on an icon and then it's very hard to
> > > read and only then does the "More Info" and "Install" buttons appear but
> > > still no description.
> > >
> > > Is there some system display setting somewhere that needs an
> > > adjustment?.. a different theme maybe?
> > > I' not sure where to start.
> >
> > Which version of Ubuntu and is it standard ubuntu or one of the
> > flavours (Gnome for example).
> >
> > Can you take a screenshot and put it somewhere so we can understand
> > what you are seeing?
> >
> > Colin
> >

> Let me try again.
> 20114737.png.html?sort=3&o=0

Sorry for the mess. I tried the email link - anyway this should work.

20114737.png

Re: Display problem inn Ubuntu Software center

John Hupp-2
On 6/28/2015 10:33 AM, C.Tresenriter wrote:

> I normally use synaptic but I found it would not install Ardour
> (dependency issues) while the software center does. (?)
>
> The problem is that looking at the gui all I see are icons and their
> star ratings.
> There is no text until I click on an icon and then it's very hard to
> read and only then does the "More Info" and "Install" buttons appear but
> still no description.
>
> Is there some system display setting somewhere that needs an
> adjustment?.. a different theme maybe?
> I' not sure where to start.

I've seen that kind of behavior with certain video chipsets that were no
longer fully supported.

On Sun, 2015-06-28 at 20:00 -0400, John Hupp wrote:

> On 6/28/2015 10:33 AM, C.Tresenriter wrote:
> > I normally use synaptic but I found it would not install Ardour
> > (dependency issues) while the software center does. (?)
> >
> > The problem is that looking at the gui all I see are icons and their
> > star ratings.
> > There is no text until I click on an icon and then it's very hard to
> > read and only then does the "More Info" and "Install" buttons appear but
> > still no description.
> >
> > Is there some system display setting somewhere that needs an
> > adjustment?.. a different theme maybe?
> > I' not sure where to start.
> >

> I've seen that kind of behavior with certain video chipsets that were no
> longer fully supported.

I'm using a recently bought Nvidia GTX 750 - with the proprietary 346.72
driver.
Proc is AMD Phenom II x4 965 - maybe it's not up to the task?