Do I need any part of Avahi at all?

Chris Green
I run several [x]ubuntu systems on a small home LAN.  There is a
separate Raspberry Pi system running dnsmasq to provide local DNS and
DHCP.

Therefore I don't think I need any part of Avahi, am I right?  Can I
simply uninstall it all?  There's avahi-autoipd, avahi-daemon and
avahi-utils plus some libraries.

--
Chris Green

Re: Do I need any part of Avahi at all?

Peter Silva
one person's anecdote:

I've been running that way for years... removing avahi whenever it showed up. It's a different (supposedly easier/self/autoconfiguring) way of doing the same thing, but if you're handy with dns and dhcp, then there is very little value in avahi.

a lot of people group Avahi with ipv6, I don't really get why... I just ran bind and dhcp supporting dual stack for about five years, until my ISP ended their beta program and backed out of IPv6 entirely. It was fine the whole time.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 7:36 AM Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
I run several [x]ubuntu systems on a small home LAN.  There is a
separate Raspberry Pi system running dnsmasq to provide local DNS and
DHCP.

Therefore I don't think I need any part of Avahi, am I right?  Can I
simply uninstall it all?  There's avahi-autoipd, avahi-daemon and
avahi-utils plus some libraries.

--
Chris Green

Re: Do I need any part of Avahi at all?

Robert Heller
At Mon, 28 Sep 2020 12:35:57 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I run several [x]ubuntu systems on a small home LAN.  There is a
> separate Raspberry Pi system running dnsmasq to provide local DNS and
> DHCP.
>
> Therefore I don't think I need any part of Avahi, am I right?  Can I
> simply uninstall it all?  There's avahi-autoipd, avahi-daemon and
> avahi-utils plus some libraries.

You don't need any part of Avahi.

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364

Re: Do I need any part of Avahi at all?

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Montag, den 28.09.2020, 12:35 +0100 schrieb Chris Green:
> I run several [x]ubuntu systems on a small home LAN.  There is a
> separate Raspberry Pi system running dnsmasq to provide local DNS and
> DHCP.
>
> Therefore I don't think I need any part of Avahi, am I right?  Can I
> simply uninstall it all?  There's avahi-autoipd, avahi-daemon and
> avahi-utils plus some libraries.

all newer "driverless" printers (or rather cups itself) do hard-depend
on avahi features. if you plan to use any such printer in your network
without a lot of manual tinkering with cups and drivers you probably
want to keep it around (though i think installing cups will pull it in
via a dependenc anyway) ... otherwise avahi is just for convenience

ciao
        oli

At Mon, 28 Sep 2020 08:40:20 -0400 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> one person's anecdote:
>
> I've been running that way for years... removing avahi whenever it showed
> up. It's a different (supposedly easier/self/autoconfiguring) way of doing
> the same thing, but if you're handy with dns and dhcp, then there is very
> little value in avahi.

Avahi is an "Apple" thing that is meant to auto-discover things on your
network and auto-configure them. This *might* be a good idea for people who
are totally clueless and are randomly plugin in printers, scanners, computers,
and such into their home network. I guess it *sometimes* works ok. It can be a
royal pain in the arse if you have a well organized LAN (eg you have a DHCP
server configured to give "static" IP addresses to your networked devices) and
a DNS server (eg Bind9) that provides host names for all of your network
devices. Avahi will *probable* provide confusing (not always correct)
configurations. That is, if you have a networked printer that you have
carefully configured on your LAN, Avahi will procede to auto-configure it
*again*, not necessarily the wayv*you* want it configured, likely as not
creating an additional printer queue, so you might suddenly have two print
queues on your wife's laptop: HomeOfficePrinter (that you configured) and
LP12847585 (showing up "randomly" and confusing your wife). This sort of
nonsense kept happening at the local library where I manage a network of
Ubuntu workstations, until I did an apt-get purge \*avahi\*...

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 03:25:32PM +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> hi,
> Am Montag, den 28.09.2020, 12:35 +0100 schrieb Chris Green:
> > I run several [x]ubuntu systems on a small home LAN.  There is a
> > separate Raspberry Pi system running dnsmasq to provide local DNS and
> > DHCP.
> >
> > Therefore I don't think I need any part of Avahi, am I right?  Can I
> > simply uninstall it all?  There's avahi-autoipd, avahi-daemon and
> > avahi-utils plus some libraries.
> >
> all newer "driverless" printers (or rather cups itself) do hard-depend
> on avahi features. if you plan to use any such printer in your network
> without a lot of manual tinkering with cups and drivers you probably
> want to keep it around (though i think installing cups will pull it in
> via a dependenc anyway) ... otherwise avahi is just for convenience

Yes (OP here) cups and some other stuff seem to depend on the avahi
libararies but one can remove avahi-autoipd, avahi-daemon and
avahi-utils without any other things going with them.

So I think I will get rid of them as I have had occasional issues with
them.

--
Chris Green

Re: Do I need any part of Avahi at all?

Brian-277
On Mon 28 Sep 2020 at 09:45:48 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:

> At Mon, 28 Sep 2020 08:40:20 -0400 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > one person's anecdote:
> >
> > I've been running that way for years... removing avahi whenever it showed
> > up. It's a different (supposedly easier/self/autoconfiguring) way of doing
> > the same thing, but if you're handy with dns and dhcp, then there is very
> > little value in avahi.
>
> Avahi is an "Apple" thing that is meant to auto-discover things on your
> network and auto-configure them. This *might* be a good idea for people who
> are totally clueless and are randomly plugin in printers, scanners, computers,
> and such into their home network. I guess it *sometimes* works ok. It can be a
> royal pain in the arse if you have a well organized LAN (eg you have a DHCP
> server configured to give "static" IP addresses to your networked devices) and
> a DNS server (eg Bind9) that provides host names for all of your network
> devices. Avahi will *probable* provide confusing (not always correct)
> configurations. That is, if you have a networked printer that you have
> carefully configured on your LAN, Avahi will procede to auto-configure it
> *again*, not necessarily the wayv*you* want it configured, likely as not
> creating an additional printer queue, so you might suddenly have two print
> queues on your wife's laptop: HomeOfficePrinter (that you configured) and
> LP12847585 (showing up "randomly" and confusing your wife). This sort of
> nonsense kept happening at the local library where I manage a network of
> Ubuntu workstations, until I did an apt-get purge \*avahi\*...

Some users might classify this as a totally clueless analysis of the
situation :). Avahi does not auto-configure printers.

--
Brian.

At Mon, 28 Sep 2020 15:50:09 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon 28 Sep 2020 at 09:45:48 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
>
> > At Mon, 28 Sep 2020 08:40:20 -0400 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > > one person's anecdote:
> > >
> > > I've been running that way for years... removing avahi whenever it showed
> > > up. It's a different (supposedly easier/self/autoconfiguring) way of doing
> > > the same thing, but if you're handy with dns and dhcp, then there is very
> > > little value in avahi.
> >
> > Avahi is an "Apple" thing that is meant to auto-discover things on your
> > network and auto-configure them. This *might* be a good idea for people who
> > are totally clueless and are randomly plugin in printers, scanners, computers,
> > and such into their home network. I guess it *sometimes* works ok. It can be a
> > royal pain in the arse if you have a well organized LAN (eg you have a DHCP
> > server configured to give "static" IP addresses to your networked devices) and
> > a DNS server (eg Bind9) that provides host names for all of your network
> > devices. Avahi will *probable* provide confusing (not always correct)
> > configurations. That is, if you have a networked printer that you have
> > carefully configured on your LAN, Avahi will procede to auto-configure it
> > *again*, not necessarily the wayv*you* want it configured, likely as not
> > creating an additional printer queue, so you might suddenly have two print
> > queues on your wife's laptop: HomeOfficePrinter (that you configured) and
> > LP12847585 (showing up "randomly" and confusing your wife). This sort of
> > nonsense kept happening at the local library where I manage a network of
> > Ubuntu workstations, until I did an apt-get purge \*avahi\*...
>
> Some users might classify this as a totally clueless analysis of the
> situation :). Avahi does not auto-configure printers.

Maybe Avahi + CUPS or some CUPS+Avahi deamon. I don't remember exactly, but a
"strangely" named printer would show up from time to time. It might also have
been something in Gnome (2 at the time) in FireFox. Whatever. It was with
Ubuntu 14.04 and it was causing confusion by providing an additional
(misconfigured!) printer that patrons at the library were selecting that was
either hanging the printer by trying to send a PDF file to the (old) HP
LaserJet in raw mode or else printing a PostScript file as plain text (many
pages of "gibberish" -- ie PostScript code). Cured by getting rid of the Avahi
deamons and utilities. There might have a (buggy?) cups+Avahi deamon involved
as well. Maybe that partitular "feature" has been fixed or removed. I don't
know. All I know is that Avahi does not always get along with a well-regulated
LAN. It appears to be something intended for ad-hoc networks as some sort of
auto discovery system for people who may not know what they are doing and may
work ok in some cases, but might not "play nice" with more "traditionally" set
up LANs.

On Mon 28 Sep 2020 at 11:29:59 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:

> At Mon, 28 Sep 2020 15:50:09 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Avahi is an "Apple" thing that is meant to auto-discover things on your
> > > network and auto-configure them. This *might* be a good idea for people who
> > > are totally clueless and are randomly plugin in printers, scanners, computers,
> > > and such into their home network. I guess it *sometimes* works ok. It can be a
> > > royal pain in the arse if you have a well organized LAN (eg you have a DHCP
> > > server configured to give "static" IP addresses to your networked devices) and
> > > a DNS server (eg Bind9) that provides host names for all of your network
> > > devices. Avahi will *probable* provide confusing (not always correct)
> > > configurations. That is, if you have a networked printer that you have
> > > carefully configured on your LAN, Avahi will procede to auto-configure it
> > > *again*, not necessarily the wayv*you* want it configured, likely as not
> > > creating an additional printer queue, so you might suddenly have two print
> > > queues on your wife's laptop: HomeOfficePrinter (that you configured) and
> > > LP12847585 (showing up "randomly" and confusing your wife). This sort of
> > > nonsense kept happening at the local library where I manage a network of
> > > Ubuntu workstations, until I did an apt-get purge \*avahi\*...
> >
> > Some users might classify this as a totally clueless analysis of the
> > situation :). Avahi does not auto-configure printers.
>
> Maybe Avahi + CUPS or some CUPS+Avahi deamon.

No, it's not that that auto-configures printers. Have another guess!

>                                               I don't remember exactly, but a
> "strangely" named printer would show up from time to time. It might also have
> been something in Gnome (2 at the time) in FireFox. Whatever. It was with
> Ubuntu 14.04 and it was causing confusion by providing an additional
> (misconfigured!) printer that patrons at the library were selecting that was
> either hanging the printer by trying to send a PDF file to the (old) HP
> LaserJet in raw mode or else printing a PostScript file as plain text (many
> pages of "gibberish" -- ie PostScript code). Cured by getting rid of the Avahi
> deamons and utilities. There might have a (buggy?) cups+Avahi deamon involved
> as well. Maybe that partitular "feature" has been fixed or removed. I don't
> know. All I know is that Avahi does not always get along with a well-regulated
> LAN.

Basing advice on what happened with an OS from six years ago seems a
little unwise. Avahi as a *primary* cause of your problems is
unsubstantiated.

>      It appears to be something intended for ad-hoc networks as some sort of
> auto discovery system for people who may not know what they are doing and may
> work ok in some cases, but might not "play nice" with more "traditionally" set
> up LANs.

Avahi is indeed a framework for Multicast DNS Service Discovery but not
aimed specifically at ad-hoc networks. People who know what they are
doing make good use of what Avahi offers. Apple Inc should be praised
for its contribution to networking.

--
Brian.

On Mon 28 Sep 2020 at 14:51:52 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 03:25:32PM +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > hi,
> > Am Montag, den 28.09.2020, 12:35 +0100 schrieb Chris Green:
> > > I run several [x]ubuntu systems on a small home LAN.  There is a
> > > separate Raspberry Pi system running dnsmasq to provide local DNS and
> > > DHCP.
> > >
> > > Therefore I don't think I need any part of Avahi, am I right?  Can I
> > > simply uninstall it all?  There's avahi-autoipd, avahi-daemon and
> > > avahi-utils plus some libraries.
> > >
> > all newer "driverless" printers (or rather cups itself) do hard-depend
> > on avahi features. if you plan to use any such printer in your network
> > without a lot of manual tinkering with cups and drivers you probably
> > want to keep it around (though i think installing cups will pull it in
> > via a dependenc anyway) ... otherwise avahi is just for convenience
> >
> Yes (OP here) cups and some other stuff seem to depend on the avahi
> libararies but one can remove avahi-autoipd, avahi-daemon and
> avahi-utils without any other things going with them.
>
> So I think I will get rid of them as I have had occasional issues with
> them.

avahi-autoipd: may be used on networks which lack a DHCP server. That
               likely does not apply to you. Most users will not miss
               it. What occasional issues have you had with it?

avahi-utils: if a user does not want to interact with the Avahi daemon,
             this package is not needed. What occasional issues have
             you had with it?

avahi-daemon: allows applications to publish and resolve mDNS/DNS-SD
              records. Most users appreciate and make use of this
              facility. What occasional issues have you had with it?

These "occasional issues" you have had quite likely do not relate to a
cause originating with any of the packages above.

--
Brian.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 07:34:09PM +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Mon 28 Sep 2020 at 14:51:52 +0100, Chris Green wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 03:25:32PM +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > > hi,

> > > all newer "driverless" printers (or rather cups itself) do hard-depend
> > > on avahi features. if you plan to use any such printer in your network
> > > without a lot of manual tinkering with cups and drivers you probably
> > > want to keep it around (though i think installing cups will pull it in
> > > via a dependenc anyway) ... otherwise avahi is just for convenience
> > >
> > Yes (OP here) cups and some other stuff seem to depend on the avahi
> > libararies but one can remove avahi-autoipd, avahi-daemon and
> > avahi-utils without any other things going with them.
> >
> > So I think I will get rid of them as I have had occasional issues with
> > them.
>
> avahi-autoipd: may be used on networks which lack a DHCP server. That
>                likely does not apply to you. Most users will not miss
>                it. What occasional issues have you had with it?
>
> avahi-utils: if a user does not want to interact with the Avahi daemon,
>              this package is not needed. What occasional issues have
>              you had with it?
>
> avahi-daemon: allows applications to publish and resolve mDNS/DNS-SD
>               records. Most users appreciate and make use of this
>               facility. What occasional issues have you had with it?
>
> These "occasional issues" you have had quite likely do not relate to a
> cause originating with any of the packages above.

Why get so defensive?  In general if something really isn't needed and
it's a daemon or something else that runs without me asking then I
like to be rid of it.

The issues I have had in the past *may or may not* be anything to to
with avahi and zeroconf but they certainly are down in the DNS and
DHCP areas of how things work so one less variable to chase after when
things go awry is a 'good thing' IMHO.

On Mon 28 Sep 2020 at 20:08:01 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 07:34:09PM +0100, Brian wrote:

> > > Yes (OP here) cups and some other stuff seem to depend on the avahi
> > > libararies but one can remove avahi-autoipd, avahi-daemon and
> > > avahi-utils without any other things going with them.
> > >
> > > So I think I will get rid of them as I have had occasional issues with
> > > them.
> >
> > avahi-autoipd: may be used on networks which lack a DHCP server. That
> >                likely does not apply to you. Most users will not miss
> >                it. What occasional issues have you had with it?
> >
> > avahi-utils: if a user does not want to interact with the Avahi daemon,
> >              this package is not needed. What occasional issues have
> >              you had with it?
> >
> > avahi-daemon: allows applications to publish and resolve mDNS/DNS-SD
> >               records. Most users appreciate and make use of this
> >               facility. What occasional issues have you had with it?
> >
> > These "occasional issues" you have had quite likely do not relate to a
> > cause originating with any of the packages above.
> >
> Why get so defensive?  In general if something really isn't needed and
> it's a daemon or something else that runs without me asking then I
> like to be rid of it.

Defensive? I imagined that you and other users would appreciate some
explanation. Should the explanatiom be thought to be lacking it should
be corrected or ammended. That's the way things work.

Instead we get some woolly response based on something quite general.

> The issues I have had in the past *may or may not* be anything to to
> with avahi and zeroconf but they certainly are down in the DNS and
> DHCP areas of how things work so one less variable to chase after when
> things go awry is a 'good thing' IMHO.

Basically, you don't know what is going on. I wouldn't have put you
down as one on Rober Heller's "totally clueless users".

--
Brian.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 08:42:32PM +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Mon 28 Sep 2020 at 20:08:01 +0100, Chris Green wrote:
>
> > Why get so defensive?  In general if something really isn't needed and
> > it's a daemon or something else that runs without me asking then I
> > like to be rid of it.
>
> Defensive? I imagined that you and other users would appreciate some
> explanation. Should the explanatiom be thought to be lacking it should
> be corrected or ammended. That's the way things work.
>
> Instead we get some woolly response based on something quite general.
>
> > The issues I have had in the past *may or may not* be anything to to
> > with avahi and zeroconf but they certainly are down in the DNS and
> > DHCP areas of how things work so one less variable to chase after when
> > things go awry is a 'good thing' IMHO.
>
> Basically, you don't know what is going on. I wouldn't have put you
> down as one on Rober Heller's "totally clueless users".

Well thank you for the compliment!

So we should fill our systems with running processes that do things
that aren't needed?

I really don't think it's worth bothering with this any more, if
you're just going to be rude and not add any further information to
the discussion then we may as well end it here.

At Mon, 28 Sep 2020 20:08:01 +0100 "Ubuntu user technical support,  not for general discussions" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 07:34:09PM +0100, Brian wrote:

> > > Yes (OP here) cups and some other stuff seem to depend on the avahi
> > > libararies but one can remove avahi-autoipd, avahi-daemon and
> > > avahi-utils without any other things going with them.
> > >
> > > So I think I will get rid of them as I have had occasional issues with
> > > them.
> >
> > avahi-autoipd: may be used on networks which lack a DHCP server. That
> >                likely does not apply to you. Most users will not miss
> >                it. What occasional issues have you had with it?
> >
> > avahi-utils: if a user does not want to interact with the Avahi daemon,
> >              this package is not needed. What occasional issues have
> >              you had with it?
> >
> > avahi-daemon: allows applications to publish and resolve mDNS/DNS-SD
> >               records. Most users appreciate and make use of this
> >               facility. What occasional issues have you had with it?
> >
> > These "occasional issues" you have had quite likely do not relate to a
> > cause originating with any of the packages above.
> >
> Why get so defensive?  In general if something really isn't needed and
> it's a daemon or something else that runs without me asking then I
> like to be rid of it.
>
> The issues I have had in the past *may or may not* be anything to to
> with avahi and zeroconf but they certainly are down in the DNS and
> DHCP areas of how things work so one less variable to chase after when
> things go awry is a 'good thing' IMHO.

+1

Avahi just add *confusing* compications in a network that is "statically"
managed, that is where all of the machines on the network have known IP
addresses and hostnames, and things like printers are managed by a system
admin, it is not needed to have any sort of auto discovery or even "plug and
play" functionallity.  That was the case at the library.  All I know for sure
was when I set things up (and it was 6 years ago, when 14.04 was fresh), Avahi
created problems.  Maybe it is better behaved now.  The machines are now
running 18.04 and have been for the past year or so.

This idea of having to have a kitchen sink in every room of the house is
silly, but there seems to be some sort of mentality that one needs all of
these "extra" services, even when they are not really needed.

--
Robert Heller             -- Cell: 413-658-7953 GV: 978-633-5364

Re: Do I need any part of Avahi at all?

Tom H-4
On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 1:38 PM Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I run several [x]ubuntu systems on a small home LAN. There is a
> separate Raspberry Pi system running dnsmasq to provide local DNS and
> DHCP.
>
> Therefore I don't think I need any part of Avahi, am I right? Can I
> simply uninstall it all? There's avahi-autoipd, avahi-daemon and
> avahi-utils plus some libraries.

avahi makes printing simpler.

I used to use BIND on my home network, but I've repurposed that box,
and I now use "<hostname>.local" for ssh/nfs/etc. Simpler too.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 4:52 PM Brian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon 28 Sep 2020 at 09:45:48 -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
>>
>> Avahi is an "Apple" thing that is meant to auto-discover things on
>> your network and auto-configure them. This *might* be a good idea
>> for people who are totally clueless and are randomly plugin in
>> printers, scanners, computers, and such into their home network. I
>> guess it *sometimes* works ok. It can be a royal pain in the arse if
>> you have a well organized LAN (eg you have a DHCP server configured
>> to give "static" IP addresses to your networked devices) and a DNS
>> server (eg Bind9) that provides host names for all of your network
>> devices. Avahi will *probable* provide confusing (not always
>> correct) configurations. That is, if you have a networked printer
>> that you have carefully configured on your LAN, Avahi will procede
>> to auto-configure it *again*, not necessarily the wayv*you* want it
>> configured, likely as not creating an additional printer queue, so
>> you might suddenly have two print queues on your wife's laptop:
>> HomeOfficePrinter (that you configured) and LP12847585 (showing up
>> "randomly" and confusing your wife). This sort of nonsense kept
>> happening at the local library where I manage a network of Ubuntu
>> workstations, until I did an apt-get purge \*avahi\*...
>
> Some users might classify this as a totally clueless analysis of the
> situation :).

LOL. You must've missed the "it's by Apple so it's terrible."

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 01:21:03AM +0200, Tom H wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 1:38 PM Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I run several [x]ubuntu systems on a small home LAN. There is a
> > separate Raspberry Pi system running dnsmasq to provide local DNS and
> > DHCP.
> >
> > Therefore I don't think I need any part of Avahi, am I right? Can I
> > simply uninstall it all? There's avahi-autoipd, avahi-daemon and
> > avahi-utils plus some libraries.
>
> avahi makes printing simpler.
>
> I used to use BIND on my home network, but I've repurposed that box,
> and I now use "<hostname>.local" for ssh/nfs/etc. Simpler too.

With a reasonable DHCP/DNS server on the system even printers get
'proper' names, no need for this .local stuff, the name of the printer
is just <hostname>.  My OKI printer is called 'oki', much quicker to
type than oki.local if nothing else! :-)

--
Chris Green